Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

v7 firmware with autopilot and new UI first impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For #3, is this going to be an issue with the highway patrol thinking the driver is drunk?

For #5, you can't just turn the signal on and have the car turn it off after the lane is changed?

#3.. Probably not, but as long as you are 'sober', no harm if they do. It is not that noticeable IMO unless you go through a quick lane shift in a construction zone.
#5.. No, the turn signal will not go out on its own

I don't particularly like the new display. I much prefer the old speedo with all of the info it provides simultaneously. My biggest gripe is that the new speed is too high on the screen and is now cut off by the steering wheel. I am tall but not that tall (6'1") and I don't like the position at all. The original display had the MPH in plain view regardless of how I adjust the steering wheel. Tesla Please lower and enlarge the MPH at least a little. Probably 1/4" should do the trick. The rest I have to live with but I'm my opinion it is a major step backwards.

The auto steer function is a mixed bag. It works well on a crowd highway with cars all around. The movements are a bit jerky and delayed. It definitely hunts from one side of the lane to the other. The lane change function works very well so long as you are on a straight section of road. the system does not work as well on a vacant road without somebody to follow and it definitely doesn't work at all if the road gets twisty - like even a little. I have found that the car doesn't particularly like driving in a narrow HOV lane because it is fracked out by the proximity of the left side. I think it is a good start, but there is a lot of work to be done.

I don't particularly like the new display. I much prefer the old speedo with all of the info it provides simultaneously. My biggest gripe is that the new speed is too high on the screen and is now cut off by the steering wheel. I am tall but not that tall (6'1") and I don't like the position at all. The original display had the MPH in plain view regardless of how I adjust the steering wheel. Tesla Please lower and enlarge the MPH at least a little. Probably 1/4" should do the trick. The rest I have to live with but I'm my opinion it is a major step backwards.

Agree 100%. Why put a critical piece of information so high in the display? I have to crane my neck to see it. How could this make it past the 1st round of alpha testing?

Frankly IMHO this is a terrible step backward. Just awful all the way round (except for the 17" screen updates). I have a P85D but didn't get autopilot - have no use for it and no interest in it. So I get a speedo mounted super high in the display with a toy car at the bottom that does nothing except illuminate its headlights and brake lights. And the new trip display widget is also terrible - far too busy and strips out useful information.

And the worst issue - the power meter is gone. The per-autopilot hardware cars get to keep it. Why can't cars with autopilot hardware that haven't paid for autopilot keep it as well? Or at least have the option.

This update is absurd. I'm frustrated to the point of being angry. Can't believe they screwed this up so badly.

The power meter is not "gone", it can be displayed on either side of the drivers display, your choice.

It's gone in its current form. They've mashed it together with the energy display into one graphic that cannot be centered in the display. That's fine for ancillary displays such as the trip meter and the old energy usage graphic but the power meter is something I want front and center. Non-autopilot hardware cars get to keep it front and center, I don't understand why those who have autopilot cars who have elected not to activate it can't have the same option.

Abso-freakin-lutely amazing (Yep, I'm a New Englander)! All of it. I like the cleanness of the display and the AP works really well. A couple of minor issues where it darted over into the right lane (which I expected).

Quite a bit of white knuckling when I didn't think it was anticipating the turns properly.

I wish they'd show the old style(better and cleaner in my opinion) center gauge when AP is not engaged. But then you'd have redundancy in the UI if you picked the new energy app because that also shows the kw meter.

If it were up to me, I would have left the old apps the same in the driver cluster display and only change the center to the new display when AP is enabled and have it be the old when when AP is off.

I too would like this. And it would it make it blindingly obvious to drivers which modes they were engaging. The information you need in manual mode is different than when the computer is driving.

- - - Updated - - -

The auto steer function is a mixed bag. It works well on a crowd highway with cars all around. The movements are a bit jerky and delayed. It definitely hunts from one side of the lane to the other. The lane change function works very well so long as you are on a straight section of road. the system does not work as well on a vacant road without somebody to follow and it definitely doesn't work at all if the road gets twisty - like even a little. I have found that the car doesn't particularly like driving in a narrow HOV lane because it is fracked out by the proximity of the left side. I think it is a good start, but there is a lot of work to be done.

YES! I am 6'3", and have lost the speedometer. Can't see the autodrive icons either. And unless the wheel is exactly straight and level, I can't see the directional gear selector either, which in a silent electric car, needs to be front and center in my vision. "WARNING: MOTION IS ABOUT TO OCCUR"

Is there any way of seeing the day and date without going through much effort?

The icon for the calendar app has the day on it. If you don't know what month or year it is, then you have bigger problems :).

- - - Updated - - -

The calendar icon - is it dynamic? I see it shows 15 (for Oct 15th). I wonder if it will show 16 tomorrow?

It's been that way for a long while.

For #3, is this going to be an issue with the highway patrol thinking the driver is drunk?

No. It's not that bad at all. The corrections aren't large, they're just a little more abrupt than a human driver would correct. I'm sure Tesla will tune it some.

For #5, you can't just turn the signal on and have the car turn it off after the lane is changed?

Yes you can.

Geeze. How many threads do we need to discuss V7?

There are now at least 4 threads where everyone it talking about all the same stuff.

If we want to talk *just* about the UI here, that's fine. Then discuss AP/Auto-steer in a different thread. And the "Classic" UI in another.

Or just have ONE thread to discuss it all.

Geeze. How many threads do we need to discuss V7?

There are now at least 4 threads where everyone it talking about all the same stuff.

If we want to talk *just* about the UI here, that's fine. Then discuss AP/Auto-steer in a different thread. And the "Classic" UI in another.

Or just have ONE thread to discuss it all.

Agree...I'd hate to be a moderator around here today! (You'd think more Model S drivers would be organized, A-type personalities :).

First day impressions: Now immune to white line fever

Mine got a workout today with a variety of well marked city roads including roadways and freeways and I guess I'm a bit easier to please than most folks here as this was a memorable day of joy for me on some really hectic city roads, with even some rain at the tail end which didn't seem to cause any panic.

I found some of its moves amusing -- you really should keep an eye on it -- but it also can chew-up simple roadway miles perfectly well on its own. It does like to lean closer on the drivers (left) side to parallel (and as was also said, oncoming) cars and lanes than I do, I guess I'm more of a "space bubble" driver than Model S is. But surprisingly this seems to keep it out of most sewers and potholes. For all the stress TACC and Autodrive relieves, I guess I can deal with this wee bit of anxiety. For what it's worth the other drivers didn't seem to notice or care about my "new" place in the lane.
So with the exception of the first few minutes on a city street where it seemed to be a bit wild (either it or I was calibrating as I was sure it wanted to slam us into a curb) and also excepting some hilarious car-magneting (good follow distance, clear paint lines seem to prevent it), and the occasional I-know-what-it-will-do-even-though-it's-actually-the-wrong-thing moments (eg. following painted lines where we shouldn't go) I did not experience any really sloppy maneuvers or drunken ping-ponging like others have reported. Perhaps it's related to the lane widths and curb sizes/shapes/materials in different places. If so maybe Toronto streets are finally good for something other than congestion ? We are pretty militant about road safety in Ontario.

Turns: I do agree that any sort of proper turn freaks it out, but I almost feel like encouraging it for trying, as it seems to give up exactly half-way through. I have a feeling they'll tackle this one but it might not be easy (eg. might end up being a very slowwww turn).

Off-Ramps: Like Racerx22b and others reported, mine really really wanted to take every off-ramp.

Intersections: It won't start in or at an intersection, but traversing them at speed was no problem at all, but... No more "Hold" @ stoplights ! I don't remember it dropping to HOLD on city streets, today once. Now we really need that red light and stop sign detection ! Freeway with a red lights are out there, in case the lawyers need to ensure it's "not intended for city streets".

Nanny-related stuff: Maintenance of TACC speed when manually grabbing the wheel was another pleasant surprise, as was the "hold the wheel" disclaimer and then you're on your own, no nags. It just asks you to take over when it's lost.

Changing lanes: Thanks Racerx22b I thought I read you had to fully apply the turn signal, which is what I was doing today. Lane changes are done admirably, or not at all if it lacks confidence. As has been reported a lane change isn't enough to cancel the signal, and since I have a feeling it's a mechanical release (ie. needs a certain amount of steering effort to cancel) it's going to remain this way for our cars.

UI & Brake lights: FINALLY, we can clearly see when regen activates brake lights. It happens a lot less than I expected, and I am happy about that as I have a pet peeve about brake riders. Flat UI is fine and change is good IMHO. The skin change is actually much more minor than I imagined.

I love the visualizations of all the sensor data, it paints a clear picture of Autopilot's frame of mind. Cars pop in and out, lanes lines are displayed as the car interprets them, and the ultrasonic sensors now seem to react at a useful speed.

I'm not a sour grapes guy but I do think it would be great to have a permanent rubber-band style real-time energy BAR beside battery, with a number beside it, just like battery level. I'm of the thinking that real-time energy use is a safety thing as well as a "power user" AND "hyper miler" thing, so it's vital info in more than one respect, to more than one group of owners. Isn't that enough ?? There's totally space there for it and I can't imagine it taking many compute of graphics cycles.

And I don't mind having the temp only on the 17" it's almost exactly the same viewing distance anyway. People, fight the right fights...

BUT when are we going to get real changes to the UI, eg. a refreshed NAV, more than 2 trip odos, settings pages for things like scroll wheel sensitivity, reversing the scroll wheel direction of the sunroof, heck I even want to change 1-tap to pass to 4 blinks. Why can't I do that ? These are ABSOLUTELY MINOR changes compared to developing a self-driving car. TM loves the Big Picture and seems to forget about the small things, but eg. better Voice Recognition commands and better navigation are not minor things. Have they completely forgotten about the panicky Supercharger trip planner ?

Emergency Avoidance: Haven't tried it ! Hope I never do. I'm confident it would do its best, erring on the side of caution, before I grab at the controls and use a dramatically slower but hopefully better decision engine to possibly do the opposite thing to get out of the trouble.

Genuine thanks to TM and the beta testers... and cheers to all of us extended beta testers :cool:

Agree...I'd hate to be a moderator around here today! (You'd think more Model S drivers would be organized, A-type personalities :).
Folks, this is a Big Thing in automotive history. A FLEET of existing vehicles received advanced software (that has no doubt been already been decompiled by Chinese government corporate military entities, don't hack us we come in peace autonomously).

Autopilot is a massive thing on top of an already amazing thing. Version 7 is causing angst for some, and there are threads for that. There are some problems, and threads.

So why the urge to merge this thread ? It was well titled IMHO, first impressions, and also specific to Autopilot and UI. Today is first day. Made sense to me.

So why the urge to merge this thread ? It was well titled IMHO, first impressions, and also specific to Autopilot and UI. Today is first day. Made sense to me.

Because Autopilot and the new UI pretty much describes the bulk of the V7 release. AP/autosteer and the UI are already being discussed in at least 5 other threads. This thread is not one bit different than all the others.