Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

v7 firmware with autopilot and new UI first impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like the new UI, except for the loss of functionality for the power meter.

The power meter was my favorite part of the old UI, but now it's almost useless as there's you can't accurately gauge how much energy is being used in the low range. Very sad.

No more "Hold" @ stoplights ! I don't remember it dropping to HOLD on city streets, today once.

I actually did encounter a "HOLD" today. I was on a gridlocked city street (waiting for a drawbridge to close), but it certainly wasn't after 5 seconds. More like 30 seconds or a minute.

Nanny-related stuff: Maintenance of TACC speed when manually grabbing the wheel was another pleasant surprise, as was the "hold the wheel" disclaimer and then you're on your own, no nags. It just asks you to take over when it's lost.

Not only that, but I notice you can provide slight corrections to the wheel and autosteer will remain engaged. And of course you can provide pedal input if you want to accelerate faster than autopilot prefers, and it's no problem (just like plain old TACC).

I like the new UI, except for the loss of functionality for the power meter.

The power meter was my favorite part of the old UI, but now it's almost useless as there's you can't accurately gauge how much energy is being used in the low range. Very sad.

Did they take the power meter off the center screen? That should be easier to read, too.

And I stopped hyper miling when I got rid of my 80 mile range vehicle. I see you bought a 70. I coulda told you. But you wouldn't have listened.

Got my notification. Given the look of the UI, the loss of power meter, date, time and temperature and the minimal increase in features for a Classic MS, I am going to hold off as long as I can. Would hate to lose the great energy usage/regen display. Hopefully they will bring back in 7.1

And ugh!, that ugly clock.....

I was surprised by the amount of information about the sensors the new interface displayed. It not only showed the position of my car in the lane but also showed the left/right position of the car in its lane in front of me. The curves in the roads are displayed which gave me confidence in it's steering. I think watching the displays without autopilot engaged on various types of roads and situations helped give me an understanding of what to expect from the system. I can foresee that after awhile I will instinctively be able to partner with autopilot to let it do what it does well and yet know what I need to when it needs help.

Because Autopilot and the new UI pretty much describes the bulk of the V7 release. AP/autosteer and the UI are already being discussed in at least 5 other threads. This thread is not one bit different than all the others.
I respectfully disagree -- this one is not polluted with posts from Classic folks complaining... oh wait here they come. With the specific name of this thread, it should be clear that a post here about 7 on non-AP cars is like me talking about my cloth seats in a thread about the leather ones...

One last of my first impressions I forgot to note...

Hill Hold: I was really worried about the changes to this one as I like manual control, but I have to say I really like the new config that holds the brakes EVERY time you come to a complete stop. So, you can totally let go of the brake once the ((H)) shows up on the dash, and it doesn't release until you do something.