TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

v7 Performance Enhancements for RWD Model S

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by supratachophobia, Oct 16, 2015.

1. supratachophobia

supratachophobia Active Member

Someone help me out here. Were the RWD models supposed to get a slight performance upgrade with v7?

I see nothing about it in the release notes, yet there was mention of it in the beta notes, as well as Elon's tweet regarding a small performance buff.

2. pimp-boy

pimp-boy Member

From what I have read in the threads... if your car was built with autopilot during that period, it seems those RWD cars got a performance upgrade. Otherwise, our extinct Pre Autopilot cars don't get it. We don't get the hill hold either (besides our standard 1-2 seconds). In other words, all the news is mostly B.S. unless you have the newer model.

3. Electricfan

Electricfan Member

4. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

Torque sleep is for all models. Older ones don't get performance enhancements. I don't know where the cutoff is, my VIN is in 15,000s and I didn't get it but someone with a P85 in the 13,000 range said he did get it.

5. Thud

Thud Member

Evidently, only the RWD models that have Autopilot hardware got the performance upgrade. My 2014 MS85 was one of the earlier models with autopilot (delivered late november last year) and the "increased performance" section does appear in the final release notes. It's the first thing I looked for!

However, it's not exactly night and day. The "throttle" curve has been adjusted so it feels more responsive at low speeds, but when you drop the hammer 0-30 feels no different ("d" models still have the advantage). However it's noticeably quicker once you get to 30mph and higher, so 30-60 feels a bit "snappier." Slightly more highway oomph too, but again nothing drastic, overall a slight increase. Probably .1 or .2 quicker from 0-60. My butt dyno says the performance of S85 with 7.0 is on par with a P85 once you get over 40mph.

I did a "before" video of a 0-60 run last week, and in the next few days I'm going to go to the same stretch of road for the "after" run to see what the difference is.

6. supratachophobia

supratachophobia Active Member

That is... disappointing.

7. David99

David99 Active Member

My Vin is around 34k and the release notes don't mention any performance increase or improved 'hill hold'.

8. apacheguy

apacheguy Sig 255, VIN 320

Odd. Sure would love to know the logic behind this.

9. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

No performance enhancements for me, just the torque sleep. I am VIN 16186 from mid-2013.

I was looking forward to this release because Elon implied that it would contain goodness for owners of older cars. That didn't really happen. I wish I would have passed on the update. I really wanted the performance enhancements and TPMS, and updated only for those two things. Thanks Tesla. My grin is flatlining.

10. gnxs

gnxs Member

I see the link to release notes in the 3rd post in this thread, but are those the actual in car release notes from a car that was updated or a picture of the leaked notes from weeks ago? My center console interface looks different than the .jpg in the link from post #3 by ElectricFan.

Maybe I missed it, but I've yet to see anybody post an actual screenshot from any model and VIN# that shows "Performance Improvements" in their notes. I have an 11xxx VIN P85 and didn't get them either, but I'm just wondering if anybody did show an actual pic of their screen after the download that mentions anything to do with increased performance.

11. Thud

Thud Member

I can confirm that my release notes do indeed reference the "increased performance for RWD vehicles", same as the beta. However I don't have a screenshot handy. I believe only cars with Autopilot hardware received this. My VIN is 569XX, delivered late november 2014.

However the increased performance for 85kwh model S seems to be mostly placebo. See my other thread for the unscientific comparison of 6.2 and 7.0. The 0-60 performance is identical within the margin of error of recording the speedometer with an iPhone.

The revised "throttle" curve makes more of a difference and ALL cars got that.

12. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

What is "torque sleep" supposed to do on "classic" RWD cars? I can't tell any difference and unfortunately the weather turned cold so my efficiency has gone down as a result of the cold. I was hoping to see if the promised efficiency improvement was there, but the sudden colder temperatures are masking it for now.

13. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

I would imagine it only plays a roll in stop-and-go traffic as well as idling as one RWD cars, it only applies when the car is at a stop. If you got a continuous commute, you likely won't see a difference.

14. apacheguy

Is it better or worse? From what I've heard it's worse. Car lags and delivers less power unless pedal is firmly depressed.

---updated---

I see in the other thread that your experience was positive. Maybe I'm just not understanding why a non-linear accel curve is better.

15. Thud

Thud Member

Maybe it got worse for "P" cars?
    For my S85, it's less twitchy for slow maneuvers (like backing out of a garage). But once underway, the throttle seems a lot more sensitive. With 6.2 I'd have to press the pedal deeper to get the same amount of acceleration, now with 7.0 it feels more agile and light-footed (amazing what a slight change in pedal position can do).
    Somehow, this makes the car feel faster overall, but as I said before, the difference on 0-60 acceleration between 6.2 and 7.0 just doesn't seem to be there even with the performance upgrade. I'm guessing all that it really means is that when you hammer it at 100mph, the car is slightly less lethargic. But I don't have a comparison video for that.

16. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

You are likely seeing this...
    Ver 7 Throttle Response - RWD Model S

17. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

My March 2013 S85 (with a somewhat more current replacement DU) is exactly the same as before. Absolutely no perceivable difference in performance or throttle sensitivity.

18. Thud

Thud Member

I don't think you're missing anything. Aside from the different throttle curve, I suspect the "performance enhancements" are mainly of benefit to autobahn drivers.
    There's no measurable performance difference up to US highway speeds. The release notes do say "increased acceleration at ALL speeds" they're just not telling you that it's a 0.001% increase. :mad:

19. apacheguy

It seems I confused perf boost with throttle mapping. Your car has AP and thus received a perf boost. This is positive.

The post I had been referencing without realizing was Drucifers:

Despite the positives, which I did not quote, this seems like an overall negative for classics.

20. Owner

Owner Active Member