Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V7 Software anticipation: when and what new features?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There was a tesla call where they discussed v6.2 features, and there were a lot of questions about 7.0 as well.

The 7.0 update will have an entirely redesigned UI revolving around the AutoPilot features, and they'll add automatic steering and automatic parallel parking to the AutoPilot feature set.

Other than that, I haven't seen much official.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and they were claiming summer 2015 release.

I'm in the camp that believes version 7 is the initial version shipping on Model X. It runs "natively" on the CPU/graphics hardware that ships with Model X, and has a platform conversion to Model S, which features older hardware. We may see more lag and/or jerkier animations & scrolling on Model S.

We may see the platform conversion first, if Model X suffers more delays and they need to keep feeding the appetites of Model S owners, though this would be suboptimal, as Tesla would want customers to use the native platform version for reference.

I've long wished for an upgrade package to become available so that older Model S cars can be upgraded to the new dashboard and touchscreen systems. For a pretty penny of course... it's Tesla. It would be a win-win situation, as Tesla would have less of the older systems to support.

I'm in the camp that believes version 7 is the initial version shipping on Model X. It runs "natively" on the CPU/graphics hardware that ships with Model X, and has a platform conversion to Model S, which features older hardware. We may see more lag and/or jerkier animations & scrolling on Model S.

We may see the platform conversion first, if Model X suffers more delays and they need to keep feeding the appetites of Model S owners, though this would be suboptimal, as Tesla would want customers to use the native platform version for reference.

I've long wished for an upgrade package to become available so that older Model S cars can be upgraded to the new dashboard and touchscreen systems. For a pretty penny of course... it's Tesla. It would be a win-win situation, as Tesla would have less of the older systems to support.

I don't think its out of question yet that the Model X would utilize the same two screens the S has both for driver display, and the 17" touchscreen - same Nvideo chipset, etc. Intro of a new one is a luxury Tesla can't afford yet most likely. They need some scale and X & S sharing those two components makes sense. The 17" is more than usable and V7 if anything may also just be highly optimized for better performance.

I'm just hoping for CarPlay or some other updated iPhone integration. I find it very ironic that my experience using my phone to listen to music and podcasts is worse in this amazing car than in my old car with the simple audio in plug. Bluetooth is unreliable and flaky... Trying to use Siri in the car when connected to bluetooth is just a complete fail and often hoses the BT connection forcing me to reboot the system. I don't know why I haven't heard more people talking about this.. Perhaps some of these problems have been fixed in later model cars.

I'm just hoping for CarPlay or some other updated iPhone integration. I find it very ironic that my experience using my phone to listen to music and podcasts is worse in this amazing car than in my old car with the simple audio in plug. Bluetooth is unreliable and flaky... Trying to use Siri in the car when connected to bluetooth is just a complete fail and often hoses the BT connection forcing me to reboot the system. I don't know why I haven't heard more people talking about this.. Perhaps some of these problems have been fixed in later model cars.

Maybe smoother integration but you won't see CarPlay itself. That requires iOS which requires an A# chip from Apple (made by Samsung).

Improvements in in the native Tesla Apps are what to wish for in these areas, new apps, etc.

That requires iOS which requires an A# chip from Apple (made by Samsung).

I don't think CarPlay requires an actual A# chip... just some authentication for their MFi program analogous to what they do for USB devices. Those devices do have super low-cost hardware built into them for identification, but presumably this is not a technical barrier if Apple were to allow Tesla to do it.

Perhaps it is a long shot at this point... But, Elon Musk carries an iPhone and he drives that car... He must want these improvements :)

Pat

Trying to use Siri in the car when connected to bluetooth is just a complete fail and often hoses the BT connection forcing me to reboot the system. I don't know why I haven't heard more people talking about this.. Perhaps some of these problems have been fixed in later model cars.

Interesting. I use Siri and bluetooth quite often and don't have problems like that. Once in a great while I will get a call that doesn't disconnect properly without manually selecting "Hang Up" on the scroll wheel.

Have you spoken to Service about this?
I have a very early Model S and Bluetooth, music via Bluetooth, and Siri all work very smoothly for me.
Although, I don't use Siri very much, but when I have its been smooth.

Hm. It's hard for me to imagine that it is a hardware failure on my car since all of the other elements work on their own.. e.g. I can make phone calls using the built in speaker and mic and they seem fine... and I use BT for playing podcasts alright 95% of the time. It's just that Siri has never seemed to function well through the BT mic / speaker and, as I said, some percentage of the time it seems to lock up the system in the transition between voice and playing music / podcast. e.g. I'm listening to a podcast. I hit siri and then it fails to restart the podcast. So I try to hit play / pause / whatever... and it doesn't respond. So I try either flipping bluetooth on / off on my phone or hitting disconnect / reconnect on the BT panel in the car... and most of the time by that point it is just hung and the only way to get it working again is to reboot the car center console.

I have noticed that the situation with basic BT reliability for playing podcasts has seemed to improve over the past two years... It used to fail to connect very often. Now it seems to be mostlyl reliable when I get in the car...

When I get some time I'll do some more systematic tests and video them so we can compare with other people's results.

Pat

Hm. It's hard for me to imagine that it is a hardware failure on my car since all of the other elements work on their own.. e.g. I can make phone calls using the built in speaker and mic and they seem fine... and I use BT for playing podcasts alright 95% of the time. It's just that Siri has never seemed to function well through the BT mic / speaker and, as I said, some percentage of the time it seems to lock up the system in the transition between voice and playing music / podcast. e.g. I'm listening to a podcast. I hit siri and then it fails to restart the podcast. So I try to hit play / pause / whatever... and it doesn't respond. So I try either flipping bluetooth on / off on my phone or hitting disconnect / reconnect on the BT panel in the car... and most of the time by that point it is just hung and the only way to get it working again is to reboot the car center console.

I have noticed that the situation with basic BT reliability for playing podcasts has seemed to improve over the past two years... It used to fail to connect very often. Now it seems to be mostlyl reliable when I get in the car...

When I get some time I'll do some more systematic tests and video them so we can compare with other people's results.

Pat

If a car isn't designed for use with Siri then these problems are common. We have same issues in our BMW and VW. Siri pops up with delay sometimes or on 2nd try. Sometimes it also doesn't disconnect and return to radio/media, etc. Most cars that aren't designed for iPhone integration or def don't have Carplay, treat the push of the iPhone button (to activate Siri) like a phone call - there is some delay in passing it over, and doesn't always give the disconnect like a real call. Thus your issues.

Chevy Volt will have Carplay, maybe just "upgrade" to a Volt! ;-) Ha, just kidding!

I did talk to a Tesla engineer recently. Of course I asked about v.7. Of course he couldn't answer, but did say we would be pleasantly surprised.

Meanwhile my latest version of 6.2 does not display traffic on the Google maps over the nav route. This had been an issue before that was corrected with a minor bug fix upgrade. Anyone else having that issue now?

I did talk to a Tesla engineer recently. Of course I asked about v.7. Of course he couldn't answer, but did say we would be pleasantly surprised.

Meanwhile my latest version of 6.2 does not display traffic on the Google maps over the nav route. This had been an issue before that was corrected with a minor bug fix upgrade. Anyone else having that issue now?

Try a reset of the drivers console (both top steering wheel buttons for 5-10 seconds), and then reset the main console (press down both scroll wheel buttons for 5-10 seconds).
That cleared it up for me.

Pat

I have an early 2013 car, so not the latest hardware. BT connectivity has been solid for me with my my Android device, as well as our two iPhones.

And while I've obviously not used them as extensively, the several loaner cars I've had didn't seem to have BT issues with my devices either...

Interesting. I use Siri and bluetooth quite often and don't have problems like that. Once in a great while I will get a call that doesn't disconnect properly without manually selecting "Hang Up" on the scroll wheel.
I have much the same experience although call drops are a trifle more frequent using bluetooth. That is not specific to the Tesla though; it happens with other bluetooth applications too. By it's nature bluetooth is less robust than we might wish it to be, especially in signal-noisy environments. I'm actually impressed about how few problems I have with bluetooth linking with my Tesla.

The thing I most eagerly anticipate in V7 is autopilot. Will it come then, as expected? Just as many others suggest, I suspect regulatory issues are more problematical than are technical issues at this point. However, TACC refinements are needed if the autopilot is not to be a jerky abrupt experience.