Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V8.0 Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Calling it "autopilot" is extremely misleading and may give people the impression you have to be a qualified pilot in order to fly this car.

The aviation correlation is a fascinating one for me. I’ve think I’ve always subliminally compared the Tesla autopilot to what’s available in the cockpit of modern aircraft.

***WARNING GEEK SPEAK :)

Obviously the Tesla autopilot is a greatly simplified single mode interface - it’s on or off. Switch it on and it will follow the road, avoid traffic by accelerating or braking and will disconnect if the driver input deviates significantly from AP intentions. That’s similar to cockpit AP in some respects - somewhat like Airbus’ fly by wire Normal Law or CWS (Control Wheel Steering) in other systems, TCAS (Traffic alert and Collision Avoidance System) and TAWS (Terrain Awareness Warning System).

Aviation autopilots are generally used in the various phases of flight after taxi & takeoff; climb, cruise, descent, approach & landing. Tesla AP is essentially only operational in the cruise phase - for now. As Tesla AP evolves to Level 3, 4 and 5, it will be directed by the navigation system, much like a flight plan in the Flight Management System of an aircraft providing guidance to the autopilot. Eventually we’ll set the destination on each leg of a journey, a set of waypoints will then be produced and AP will direct all phases, from driveway, local transit, freeway & all the way back to the driveway.

What I’ll really be interested in, is how Tesla maintains an appropriate level of simplification in the interface with all the increasing complexity of the system behind the dashboard.

My autopilot decreases speed when the speed limit changes, is there a way to have it automatically increase speed, I've noticed that it stays at the lower speed and does not automatically increase based on the speed limit it shows on the dash. I have to press up on the stock to have it increase. Is this typical?

My autopilot decreases speed when the speed limit changes, is there a way to have it automatically increase speed, I've noticed that it stays at the lower speed and does not automatically increase based on the speed limit it shows on the dash. I have to press up on the stock to have it increase. Is this typical?

That's normal operation for version 8.0 on roads without center dividers.

You actually have two options for bringing the speed back up: you can press up on the stalk for 1 or 5 mph increments, or pull towards you and hold for a second to snap to the limit plus your warning offset.

Note that on freeways the car won't slow down automatically when the limit changes.

• Informative
Reactions: fasteddie7
What I’ll really be interested in, is how Tesla maintains an appropriate level of simplification in the interface with all the increasing complexity of the system behind the dashboard.

It'll be interesting to see what they do. I'm actually thinking they can leave the interface pretty much as it is, with the navigation screen showing how the car chose to route itself and the destination & ETA and the speed setting in the TACC box and Autopilot indicator.

My question: If you have a car capable of full self driving and also of being driven by hand, is there value to giving the user intermediate levels of control (TACC, AP) or should it be all or nothing?

MX still on 2.42.21 and noticed after taking the same route a few times IF AP is not interrupted when going from higher speed limits to lower on secondary roads, through a town for example, it will go back up as the limit increases. So far I've seen this go up as far as the 45 mpg from 25 but not react to the 50mph sign.

• Informative
Reactions: fasteddie7
MX still on 2.42.21 and noticed after taking the same route a few times IF AP is not interrupted when going from higher speed limits to lower on secondary roads, through a town for example, it will go back up as the limit increases. So far I've seen this go up as far as the 45 mpg from 25 but not react to the 50mph sign.
Today I saw automatic adjustments up to speed limits of 55 mph.

@lennier i haven't seen documentation but noted it elsewhere on TMC when my car slowed thru a mile long, 1 year construction project zone on a secondary but divided parkway and recovered speed afterwards on its own, relying on temp signs reducing speed and then NAV recovering once clear. Many seemed to be aware of such behavior, and this was prior to 8.0. It surprised me for sure but it handled the construction zone speed restrictions perfectly (after hours). EDIT: added pic of being reduced to 45 as zone dropped to 40 from 55. I was too surprised by the recovery to get a pic in time.

Attachments

• 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    171.3 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Is this a documented feature anywhere? I've never seen reference to AP changing set speed automatically in response to speed signs, I thought you always had to initiate the change to current limit manually? A US-only feature perhaps.

Yes I think it is US only or not here anyway. May have something to do with recognising our signs. ie '80' registers as '30' quite often for me.

It joins Homelink and Browser.