Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V8.0 rant

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, Im pretty disappointed with V8. A major version update like this should be a quantum leap better than what came before, but in the case of V8, its quite a step back in many areas, and no steps forward, in my humble opinion.

1) the "bigger" map that now requires an extra touch "somewhere near the top" of the laggy screen to get the music, nav, energy menus back, and to see the LTE signal bars, is just annoying. Surely for car user interfaces, anything that reduces the time your eyes are off the road and fiddling with screens is better? So why add the need for an annoying extra screen touch to get the menus to show? And the screen processor is so slow and unresponsive, I find myself touching it a second time to get it to respond as it feels like it didnt take the first time, the lag is so bad. I sure hope thats not the same processor making life and death decisions for auto-pilot! It feels slower with v8 that it did with v7.1.

2) LTE signal much worse. With V7.1 I pretty much always had 3 bars around Santa Ana, CA, now I get a pretty solid one bar, occasionally 2, and the connectivity is correspondingly appalling. The streaming radio stations I listen to in the car are constantly stopping or buffering, and quite often don't even pick up after buffering requiring yet another several screen touches to get the menu bar up, go to the music page, then re-touch the favorite. Even this doesn't always get it back playing again, i guess based on LTE signal. Definitely a step backwards, the V7.1 streaming and LTE worked great. What a shame.

3) Auto-pilot. Its just plain dangerous. The car weaves all over the lane, quite often I found myself all the way to the left of the lane, even over the line into the next lane on some occasions. It drives like a drunk driver. It veered _towards_ a huge truck in the lane to the right of me as I passed it on 91 yesterday. Also I got the sudden slowing down effect similar to other reports on TMC of the "ghost car", but there was no ghost car on the screen, it just slowed down for no reason. If you are on even a slight curve in the road, the sensor of distance to the car in front seem to be looking only straight ahead so if the lane next to you and ahead is clear, causes the car to speed up when in fact there is a car in front in your lane but only just a bit further around the corner. Im not talking about very tight bends here, even a slight curve in the freeway lane had me accelerating towards the car in front and then hard braking when it came "into view".

v7.1 AP was a bit clunky in places, but felt way more stable.

Ive looked at the release notes, and really I couldn't care less about 95% of the new stuff in V8, literally no noticeable improvement, only steps back. The FWD moved quite fast enough in V7 thank you.

These are my top rants. Im sure I will remember more after I hit send on this post. If we are eventually to trust autonomous vehicles with our lives, a major version software update needs to be so super stable, like totally glitch free, and better than what came before. The "user" needs to have absolute confidence in the car's software and systems such that you never have to doubt that it will respond instantly and "do the right thing", whatever that may be. As I have stated, IMHO V8 is a step back in stability and "trustworthiness" from V7.1 and has reduced my level of trust in both the car and the company. It feels like beta code. Where are Tesla's QA folks, and what happen to their quality standards?

Or maybe we are the beta testers?

I've had the 40 seconds remaining slacker song skip issue and an odd issue that may have been present in v7 where spotty HD radio signal doesn't result in dropping back to non-hd.

Otherwise I've found v8 autopilot to work as well as v7, can't really tell because I've learned in my commute where not to use it due to road work and multiple lines on the road. Can't say I've noticed any reduction in LTE signal strength.

I don't mind the hidden top bar but it would be cool if that were an option or if the top indicators could be present without the top buttons. Kind of wish I could turn off the autozoom on the map during navigation.

It's clear that you feel strongly about autopilot and it may be worth reporting your concerns to your local service center or whatever other means Tesla provides for that.

3) Auto-pilot. Its just plain dangerous. The car weaves all over the lane, quite often I found myself all the way to the left of the lane, even over the line into the next lane on some occasions. It drives like a drunk driver. It veered _towards_ a huge truck in the lane to the right of me as I passed it on 91 yesterday.

You are pretty close to where I am - wanna drive together some time and video each other's cars on autopilot on the same stretches of road to compare? Honestly mine isn't doing any of the things you describe. It'd be a pretty good learning exercise and fun for the folks here at TMC to watch. Send me a PM and I'll give you my phone number.

Hope you don't mind me adding to your Rant but what's up with the new and unimproved regenerative braking?? They changed it so much that I find myself using the brakes way more often than I used to which was hardly ever. Don't tell me to release the accelerator pedal sooner either. What's the point of having Regen braking if I have to use the real brakes way more often. :(

You are pretty close to where I am - wanna drive together some time and video each other's cars on autopilot on the same stretches of road to compare? Honestly mine isn't doing any of the things you describe. It'd be a pretty good learning exercise and fun for the folks here at TMC to watch. Send me a PM and I'll give you my phone number.

I had the exact same experience as the OP: AP 7.1 was rock solid on lane position, while AP 8.0 wanders the lane like a drunk. It seems to depend on the road: 8.0 behaves just fine for me on smooth asphalt, but loses its mind on grooved concrete. Maybe the radar is confused by the grooves.

Overall, for me, there is literally nothing in 8.0 that is better than 7.1, and many critical things are worse:

AP lane position is worse.
Media player is truly unusable. I will not cede an inch on this item: it is just garbage and people should be fired for it.
Hiding top menu bar is *terrible* UX, especially while driving.
Map auto-zoom *against my explicit command* is infuriating.
Having apps open in bottom when nav is on top is awful, for me, because I always keep the camera on bottom for blind spot.

The only good new thing in 8.0 is cabin overheat protection, but even that is at best partial credit because 105F is still brutal and there's no way to set the threshold temperature. (In the future, I know, but we're discussing what 8.0 actually is, not what 8.1 might be.)

My X lights turn on and mirrors unfold now whenever I get in close proximity to the car (with keyfob) with v8.0.

While I don't mind this feature, does anyone know how to disable this auto approach feature if I want to later turn it off? Thx

Reactions: yz778
Hope you don't mind me adding to your Rant but what's up with the new and unimproved regenerative braking?? They changed it so much that I find myself using the brakes way more often than I used to which was hardly ever. Don't tell me to release the accelerator pedal sooner either. What's the point of having Regen braking if I have to use the real brakes way more often. :(
This.:mad:

Reactions: davidc18
i think the music media player is better, but i agree with the hidden top toolbar being a little bit annoying.. also i don't like the car formally unlocking when it senses the keyfob. i also was looking for a way to turn this off...

agree, the autopilot seems a bit worse... it keeps asking me to hold the steering wheel (when i am).. eventually it disables AP for the drive and doesn't allow it to be reactivated until the car goes into park.

Reactions: davidc18
My X lights turn on and mirrors unfold now whenever I get in close proximity to the car (with keyfob) with v8.0.

While I don't mind this feature, does anyone know how to disable this auto approach feature if I want to later turn it off? Thx

This is a problem for me too! I hang my keys next to my door and it's within range of my X. So what happens is this: I park the car and arm it, then it comes back to life. I turn it off, and then a short while later it turns on again because my 2nd fob turns it on. LOL (well not really).

I've had to move my keys, but would prefer to there was a way to turn it off. It's not a feature I'd like to have enabled. Told the SC about it, will see if they can offer an alternative.

They need to make auto-lock geofenced so one can set it to not auto-lock at home. Such a simple feature that should be there in the first place, not via OTA updates (if ever). That's not going to be a "new feature" if ever released, that's a bug fix.

I already submitted that feature request to Tesla. If more people request this they might actually do something about it!