Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V8.0 rant

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Drove 300 miles yesterday. I thought AP was fine compared to last and no real discernible difference except I had to put my hand on the wheel much more.

The air recirculate is indeed mixed in with outside air. Very frustrating as it never happened Tommy before as well. I don't want to fill the air with smoke when I drive by a smoky area.

Brake regen is terrible now. I used to wish my old model s was more like the s but they made the X more like the s. At least give us the option for a hard regen since standard and low is already there.

Drove 300 miles yesterday. I thought AP was fine compared to last and no real discernible difference except I had to put my hand on the wheel much more.

The air recirculate is indeed mixed in with outside air. Very frustrating as it never happened Tommy before as well. I don't want to fill the air with smoke when I drive by a smoky area.

Brake regen is terrible now. I used to wish my old model s was more like the s but they made the X more like the s. At least give us the option for a hard regen since standard and low is already there.

I agree with this....used to be able to stop vehicle at higher speeds by letting off pedal at right time but with V8 not possible.

I wonder if the reduced torque is a byproduct of the front end/shudder failures being found on X's.

I agree with this....used to be able to stop vehicle at higher speeds by letting off pedal at right time but with V8 not possible.

I wonder if the reduced torque is a byproduct of the front end/shudder failures being found on X's.
So far I noticed the regen really kicks in after tapping the brakes. It is stronger, but only under 45mph unless you touch the brakes.

The only time I had some minor weaving was when there was lots of water on the road and the lighting made the lane markers discernible only about 5% of the time with human vision and AP must have been following the lead car. Otherwise I haven't really seen any difference and since "AP improvement" was the primary reason for me to jump to 8.0, it's a little disappointing so far with all the UI annoyances.

The overall regen profile from high speed to stop in 8.0 is worse. I've had to use the mechanical brake so much more.

Less regen is not appreciated by all drivers. Would those with less regen after the 8.0 upgrade please toggle the setting and see if it makes a difference. Maybe you are all using the lower setting and the screen is not reflecting the actual setting. Also do a full reboot. Then please report on your results. In addition to a broken USB player, less regen is why I'm not upgrading just yet.

Hope you don't mind me adding to your Rant but what's up with the new and unimproved regenerative braking?? They changed it so much that I find myself using the brakes way more often than I used to which was hardly ever. Don't tell me to release the accelerator pedal sooner either. What's the point of having Regen braking if I have to use the real brakes way more often. :(
I don't understand why you are using the brakes more with the stronger regen. The regen should be slowing the car more so you should have less of a need to use the brakes... at least, that is what I have experienced.

I think v8.0 was a major change from using the camera for AP to using the radar along with the camera. It seems that because of this change, some people are experiencing worse AP performance. I have noticed that the car doesn't keep to the center of the lane as well and on curves it tends to go wide.
Hopefully they will get these things sorted out with the next version. Until then, I am being extra cautious.

Reactions: Fresco
I don't think that I've come across anybody who doesn't think that more regen is better in most situations.
Sorry if I wasn't clear. Some posters here with the update have not NOTICED a DIFFERENCE in regen. I appreciate the heavy regen I have now and it sounds like a crap shoot whether that persists or not with the 8.0 upgrade.

No perceived difference in regen on my end. Still nice and strong for me. Set on standard.

I also have not noticed the lane bouncing others have reported - in fact for the short stint that I recently used it, it seemed to stay slightly to the left in my lane. I did notice that on a stretch of highway I got uncomfortably close to the median wall while using AP, such that I took over immediately.

Definitely had the streaming woes others have reported, but that seems to have improved a little over the last few days... have not noticed as much skipping as when 8 initially dropped, but not sure what that would happen.

I

noticed and increase in regen at lower speeds. Not as strong at higher speeds.
I noticed this too, although it is hard to quantify why as the regen power indication looks to be about the same at high speed as before, but it feels weaker. As you coast into a stoplight from speed, it feels like you won't make it to a stop on regen alone, but then as the speed decreases the deceleration increases, as one might expect from constant power deceleration. The gauge seems to be showing about the same regen power as before through the whole slowdown, but something feels different.

I noticed this too, although it is hard to quantify why as the regen power indication looks to be about the same at high speed as before, but it feels weaker. As you coast into a stoplight from speed, it feels like you won't make it to a stop on regen alone, but then as the speed decreases the deceleration increases, as one might expect from constant power deceleration. The gauge seems to be showing about the same regen power as before through the whole slowdown, but something feels different.
Could be the regen is ramped up as speed decreases. This makes the most sense since the loss is greater at higher speeds and cumulative gain is higher at lower speeds.

Is it within the realm of possibility that as Tesla refreshes or purges the AP crowd sourced data and this is the effect? I remember this happening for a period of time during 7.1. I also recall when there was an LTE outage, the AP weaved as well.

I think this is what is happening as well.. i no longer trust AP since 8.0 but i expect it to improve once it gets all the crowd source data.

I don't understand why you are using the brakes more with the stronger regen. The regen should be slowing the car more so you should have less of a need to use the brakes... at least, that is what I have experienced.

I too find region stronger since 8.0. I have not done much fast highway driving so I haven't been able to drive at high speed much, but at slow speeds regain definitely feels stronger than 7.1

I'm also not a fan of the UI changes, but i know that in time I will get used to them and they will be fine. The good thing about the map is that pinch to zoom actually works now and u don't need the zoom in/zoom out buttons as much. it's all a matter of getting used to the new UI.. until Telsa "improves" the UI again and we have to learn a whole UI fm scratch.