Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

v8.0 release coming in a few weeks, details later today!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As of 1AM PDT on Friday, Elon noted that he would "get back to Autopilot update blog tomorrow"
Elon posted multiple tweets last night. So far the SpaceX team has been unable to identify the cause of the recent launch pad explosion. He said it is the most difficult failure investigation they have ever experienced. And the future of SpaceX rides on figuring it out and implementing changes to ensure it doesn't happen again. I don't see how they can proceed with their launch schedule until they do. So I really feel for the guy and the entire SpaceX team.

The Tesla Motors team is proceeding with AP V8 and AP 2.0 whether Elon makes his blog post or not.

Reactions: Stoneymonster
Don't sweat it. The engineers are still working in the background, testing and preparing the software for release. Elon's post or lack thereof will not change that one iota.
Are you telling me that once he blogs about this and we criticize it here (endlessly and mercilessly) he won't personally read all of the
posts and send the design team back to the drawing board to "get it right" -- meaning, of course, immune to any criticism here? ;);)

Elon posted multiple tweets last night. So far the SpaceX team has been unable to identify the cause of the recent launch pad explosion. He said it is the most difficult failure investigation they have ever experienced. And the future of SpaceX rides on figuring it out and implementing changes to ensure it doesn't happen again. I don't see how they can proceed with their launch schedule until they do. So I really feel for the guy and the entire SpaceX team.

The Tesla Motors team is proceeding with AP V8 and AP 2.0 whether Elon makes his blog post or not.
Might change timing of release. He probably has final say on timing. Might be ready to go, but he will post before it's released.

By waiting, Musk is separating the autopilot news from the spacex accident.
I doubt that is his strategy. Outside of TMC, in my experience far more people are aware of Tesla and pay attention to it then follow SpaceX events. I base this on the many people I have spoken to about Tesla and SpaceX over the past several years. It's not a huge sample size, but even among well-educated and curious individuals, few know anything at all about SpaceX but most have at least some notion of what Tesla does.

If you guys remember.. He was actually supposed to reveal the information the day before the space X explosion..
True, but it's not unusual for Elon's self-imposed deadlines to slip. It's happened many times in the past.

The blog post is probably just about ready, basically awaiting a final polish and review. He was probably about to do that (and may have even been working on it at that moment) when the SpaceX incident happened. That, understandably, has become his #1 priority, and will probably remain so until they have some idea as to the root cause.

Meanwhile, the Tesla software engineers are continuing to work on 8.0, and I doubt its final release will be delayed by this setback at their sister company. The blog post, if it ever comes, will simply have to wait until things settle down at SpaceX.

Personally I love the silence, but it would be fun to have fake sounds on occasions. It would be great when I give demo rides to friends/coworkers. Start with it on, then 1/2 through kill the sound and bask in the silence of the future. :)

Every person I've given a ride to has been extremely impressed with the Model S, but at least 1/3 of them comment on missing the engine sounds when accelerating. Adding decent fake engine noise inside the car is trivial (a great job for an intern programmer) and I'm positive it would add a few more sales to old school car people who are not quite ready to go silent in a $100k+ performance car just yet..

I always tell people riding in my car that the silence represents putting no poisons in the atmosphere. That usually shuts up the people who long for engine noise, as they begin to understand that the noise represents killing the planet.

• Love
Reactions: Ulmo and msnow
I'm all for electric over ICE, but you do realize that the power that comes out of your wall is produced primarily by burning fossil fuels, right? Just a quick google search of energy production in Maryland shows that 46.3 percent is produced by burning coal, which isn't exactly the cleanest fuel source. I'm a huge fan of Tesla, but let's at least be realistic about the fact that electricity isn't exactly "clean" at this point in time.

The Union of Concerned Scientists has prepared some excellent life-cycle analyses on this issue. Cleaner Cars from Cradle to Grave (2015)

The conclusion from their 2015 report is:

"Over their lifetime, battery electric vehicles produce far less global warming pollution than their gasoline counterparts—and they’re getting cleaner."​

As the UCS notes, the grid gets cleaner every year, so a Tesla or other BEV bought in 2016 will continue to get cleaner over its lifetime.

Many EV owners also opt for rooftop solar, which is even better. The UCS paper cites a study showing that almost 50% of California new BEV owners either had rooftop solar or were planning to install it:

PAIRING EVS WITH ROOFTOP SOLAR

A 2013 survey of new EV owners in California, which represents more than 40 percent of the market for EVs, found that 32 percent of respondents had solar photovoltaic (PV) systems in their homes. An additional 16 percent indicated they planned to install a PV system in the future (CCSE 2013). http://www.ucsusa.org/sites/default...ner-Cars-from-Cradle-to-Grave-full-report.pdf
Edit: Well that's odd -- the post I responded to seems to have disappeared. Oh well.

Last edited:
Even in áreas where fossil fuels poder mistura Of the grid there is often an option to buy power from a renewable source. That is not as clean as panels in a dwelling, but it certainly is better than coal!