Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

v8.0 Renders one-pedal driving extinct....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Regen is stronger for me with 8, however, it seems to cut-out earlier than before when approaching a stop. In other words, it used to regen all the way down to, let's say 3MPH. Now it only regens down to 5MPH. I don't know the actual speeds, but it just feels like I need to use the brakes a little sooner when coming to a complete stop vs 7.1.

Also note that regen is limited when the battery is cold. If you don't have the watt meter up on the dash, you won't see the limiter line.

EDIT: OP is from Florida so the temperature thought doesn't apply here.

I wish I could describe it in more detail but regen on our X definitely has a different "feel." I don't think it's a single variable change, but a series of adjustments.

I noticed it because I've had regen off for a couple weeks (it created a "jerky" feel to the drive which I disliked) and yesterday I tried turning it on - now it feels much less jerky, in fact so far I like it better than "low" regen mode. Happy with whatever they did!

This could also very well be placebo.

I noticed a significant difference after the upgrade. With v7, I rarely used the brake. With v8, I have to use the brake all the time and I barely feel the regen anymore (compared to before). I only charge to 80% so charging too high is not an issue. I also noticed that my range has decreased by a few miles since the lack of regen started. Everything else is exactly the same..same route to work, etc.

Reactions: X Fan
No, it's not.

hmm... i wonder what essentially is supposed to mean here? lol. i read that as low = off which we all know is not accurate.

maybe on a scale of 0-5?

0 = off (not optional on a Tesla unless super cold battery limits regen)
2 = low
5 = standard

coming from an ICE vehicle, low regen might seem aggressive and those going from standard to low it might feel like it's off. lol.

hmm... i wonder what essentially is supposed to mean here? lol. i read that as low = off which we all know is not accurate.

It wouldn't be that hard to test. Just go some set speed, remove foot from accelerator and look at energy usage bar. Then repeat on other regen setting. Same could be done if some people still have 7.1 although there would potentially be other factors at work between different cars.

Also note that regen is limited when the battery is cold. If you don't have the watt meter up on the dash, you won't see the limiter line.

EDIT: OP is from Florida so the temperature thought doesn't apply here.
Depends on where in Florida. My S is never cold-limited in Miami, but has been in Orlando and St. Augustine. When I lived in Tallahassee, I would get snow flurries in the winter, so my S likely would be cold-limited there too.

Regen can be effected by lower battery temps. As we get into fall/winter, the battery temp goes down. As this happens, regen is gradually limited until the battery temp warms up. This could explain your perceived loss of regen.
Indeed. And I don't know about the X or 8.0, but in 7.1, you can have cold-limiting even when the bar isn't present. I have seen many times in my S on 7.1 that I'm limited to 45-50 kW even though I have no bar. By the end of the drive, I'm getting the full 60 kW.