Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

v8.0 Update Failed. Was that my only shot at an update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All,

I was as excited as everyone else was last Friday when Tesla started pushing v8.0 to the Model X. I was waiting to see the typical "Software update available" notification from the Tesla app, but instead what I received was "An Update Failed"

This was odd since, I never did actually start the install of the update....

Upon seeing this message, I went to my work parking lot and looked in the car for the typical yellow clock indicating that I needed to schedule the install. That yellow clock was not there but instead a small square error on the center of the 17" screen that read, "An update failed"

So, I then moved the car to an area where we have solid Wifi reception and waited for the update to download/install again. This never happened.

I figured that over the weekend that if I kept my car at my house with Wifi connected, that surely it would pull or start the process again, and still nothing. I am a little confused as to why this happened and what I may need to do to actually get the update. I called Tesla and they did show the error log, but said that it was probably a slow or bad LTE or Wifi connection that caused the issue with the download.... and that I may try resetting the connection with the Model X and it should be good.

Anyone else have a similar experience? Thoughts? Service Tech at my local SC is not going to be in any rush to help since it really isn't a "problem" (which I understand to a degree)

I had the same issue with my download of v8.0. Tech Support said it was a bad network connection and the car didn't fully receive the push.

Give Tech Support a call and they can expedite a new v8.0 push to your vehicle by notifying the service center. They told me to give it 24 hours and to call back if the update didn't appear in that timeframe. Hope this helps!

GrayV, thank you for your response! I did the same thing, and they gave me the same response.

My SC is about 8 hours away, and they did call me back but they can't push the update over the air, so unless I am there they can't help.

Has it been 24 hours for you?

I'm in a similar situation with my service center 2.5 hrs. away.

Interestingly enough, I just got the update pushed to my vehicle while I was reading your reply. It took about 21 hours, but I did call on a Sunday so that may have something to do with it.

I just called and spoke to a nice gentleman that asked me again to restart my center screen (2 scroll wheel restart)

He then put me on hold for a minute and said that he wasn't seeing on his end what he thought he would see. He then said that he will note this and send it up the chain.... oh well.

I am in the same position. Friday received a failed update via the app (not in car). Haven't yet receive update, thought there would be another push or they were being released in batches. Thanks for directing me to call tech support.

Thanks! Technical support told me that 8.0 was still rolling out and I needed to wait. Didn't seem to understand that I had a 'failed update notification.' Was told that there is no way for them to push the update to my car from afar. I'll continue to wait a few days more then reach out again (I waited 3 years to receive the car, what is another week). I was sort of disappointed in their curt response, but 7.1 is working fine.

I got a similar response after I brought my car in for a checkup on my firmware. the SC was aware of my software update failure notice but did not load v8 onto my vehicle after the service. They said Tesla engineering is still rolling out updates in batches and basically just keep waiting for it. No ETA given whatsoever. So, I merely got a carwash out of my visit, but was still disappointed with the SC's response.

If you're still on 7.1, you likely won't get the update automatically. There is probably something wrong with the modem or the connection hardware in the car. I had the same problem, as many here, and had to have a ranger update the car by connecting his laptop. I'm not surprised this is an issue with more than 1 car.