Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V9.0 in September?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes by itself when selecting reverse. All other times it’s now locked to the bottom half of the screen
Which is not good. I want the rear view at the top at all times, and other things at the bottom. Forcing maps on you all the time sucks when 90% of the time I'm cruising around my hometown and know where I'm going.

V9 is meant for people who travel out of their known area often apparently.

Thanks. I took a video and sent a question into the service center. Mine definitely does not pop up top, going from park to reverse or drive to reverse.

Hmm THAT might force them to change it. The NHTSA has very specific rules on back up cameras and what the angle from your head to the camera feed can be. I don't think Tesla can legally comply with that if the camera is at the bottom during a "reverse event" as they call it.

My new X75 is one week old. When I bought the car home, it prompted me to download the latest software (36.2). I am still running this and have not gotten anything about 9.0.
Does Tesla not send such downloads to new owners (~500 miles) until a certain number of miles are driven or am I just being impatient?
Thanks

My new X75 is one week old. When I bought the car home, it prompted me to download the latest software (36.2). I am still running this and have not gotten anything about 9.0.
Does Tesla not send such downloads to new owners (~500 miles) until a certain number of miles are driven or am I just being impatient?
Thanks

No because mine is a couple weeks old too with less tha 500 and I got the update the first morning it was publically released.

Is the backup cam already on or turned off when you shift into reverse?

Yes, that’s my issue.

It’s annoying being locked in the bottom since I leave it on constantly. But it’s even more absurd when you put it into reverse and it doesn’t override to the top position.

Prior to v9, I remembered it bringing it to the top regardless. It doesn’t do it post v9.

Thanks
My X is 2 weeks old. No V9 on it yet. (and I won't be upgrading regardless, see above). My S is 2 years old and got V9 yesterday. You'll get the update at some point, don't worry about it. I'd say don't play with V8 too much, you'll hate V9 once you get it. The less you know the less you'll be angry with the changes.

I see this as an issue that will be quickly resolved. They probably misjudged the number of people who keep the rear camera on at all times.
I mean they have the data, so this wasn't just shooting from the hip. I'm almost certain they can tell what screen config each car is using and can see what the most popular setups are. I kind of saw the direction the UI was going in V8 when they made the menu bar disappear if you had maps up top. That was something a lot of people complained about, and they easily could have added a checkbox to turn that feature on/off in the settings but they didn't.
Clearly navigation is used by a lot of drivers and they are catering to people who use it. Sadly for us we appear to be edge cases. I hope they fix this, but I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited:
Reactions: kavyboy
I see this as an issue that will be quickly resolved. They probably misjudged the number of people who keep the rear camera on at all times.

It's not really about camera on top though. It is more has to do with they took away the ability to put app screen on either top or bottom. So they will have to bring back that ability and may have to do some redesigning of the new UI. It could take a while.

i haven't gotten the update yet and am not in a hurry given the elimination of the split screen.

a question for any *paid* FSD option owners out there - does V9 w/ paid FSD get you anything over non-paid-FSD optioned cars (i realize all the cars after a certain date come with the FSD *hardware*, but wondering if you paid for FSD if you now get something new from the V9 update)