Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V9.0 - not today, but thanks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I roll w/ AP1. I’m sticking with 8.0.

Below is the flight deck of a C-17. It features four Multi Functional Displays (MFD). The content of each is selectable. The flight crew can display primary flight info, NAV, GPS, terrain, engine-related data, control surface position, gear, hydro … whatever they deem necessary to carry out their mission.

C-17 MFD.jpeg

Below is a C-17 running V9.0

C-17 MFD v9.jpeg

I like the ability to run multiple apps (V8.0). I prefer having the backup camera always on, always on top. I check my blindspots, I can verify that my tail feathers have safely crossed the garage door threshold, I can see what’s lurking behind me while I’m charging. Having the camera always on provides situational awareness. No, the camera doesn’t make me motion sick.

No, I don’t need a map for EVERY SINGLE MILE I drive. At times I even feel a sense of shame when I have the map running - “I’ve driven this route to work for years ... Why am I taking my eyes off the road to follow this blue line?! This map is weakening your mind man! You can do it without the map! First you take a right out of the driveway, a left at Big-O Tires, over the bridge, then a right just before Soup Plantation … that’s it, you’re doing this all by yourself!”

I was driving the daughter to school the other morning when the software update screen popped up. I found myself complaining to the kid about the looming update. I was looking for sympathy from an unlikely source (the kid hates the car - no cup holders, no handles on the ceiling, the seats are slippery, it makes her nauseous, etc). Regardless, I launched into my tirade... "I not going to update because the new screen would be all map and only one app at a time and the backup cam…”. She cut me off - “Wait, what?! No more split screen? Only one app?! That’s stupid.” Tesla hit a pre-teen nerve too.

Back at home the software update screen popped up - again. Ditto the next day. I always cancel it but a little yellow alarm clock icon in the upper right of the screen remains. This little icon is playing a long game - knowing i’ll wear down, slip up, cave in … take a bite of the apple.

Not today, but thanks anyway.

All the whining about UI changes is cracking me up. It's like when facebook changes icons or tweaks the feed algorithm and a bunch of people lose their minds and talk about writing to managers or boycotting because the experience is slightly different.

Also, the idea that the "situational awareness" you might get from looking down at a forward-moving rear view camera is somehow less distracting than a map is just honestly silly. We aren't flying helicopters or cargo planes... we're driving cars. They're literally designed to be driven by anyone with a pulse and better-than-awful vision.

I literally can't watch the backup camera while driving without getting sick. But I believe if the view was trimmed especially to cut off the bottom ~50% of the view in the backup camera then it might be useful when driving. Perhaps we could lobby for a "mini backup camera" mode similar to the mini media player mode. Then perhaps it will make previous and future "always on backup camera" people happy.

I roll w/ AP1. I’m sticking with 8.0.

Below is the flight deck of a C-17. It features four Multi Functional Displays (MFD). The content of each is selectable. The flight crew can display primary flight info, NAV, GPS, terrain, engine-related data, control surface position, gear, hydro … whatever they deem necessary to carry out their mission.

View attachment 343351

Below is a C-17 running V9.0

View attachment 343352

I like the ability to run multiple apps (V8.0). I prefer having the backup camera always on, always on top. I check my blindspots, I can verify that my tail feathers have safely crossed the garage door threshold, I can see what’s lurking behind me while I’m charging. Having the camera always on provides situational awareness. No, the camera doesn’t make me motion sick.

No, I don’t need a map for EVERY SINGLE MILE I drive. At times I even feel a sense of shame when I have the map running - “I’ve driven this route to work for years ... Why am I taking my eyes off the road to follow this blue line?! This map is weakening your mind man! You can do it without the map! First you take a right out of the driveway, a left at Big-O Tires, over the bridge, then a right just before Soup Plantation … that’s it, you’re doing this all by yourself!”

I was driving the daughter to school the other morning when the software update screen popped up. I found myself complaining to the kid about the looming update. I was looking for sympathy from an unlikely source (the kid hates the car - no cup holders, no handles on the ceiling, the seats are slippery, it makes her nauseous, etc). Regardless, I launched into my tirade... "I not going to update because the new screen would be all map and only one app at a time and the backup cam…”. She cut me off - “Wait, what?! No more split screen? Only one app?! That’s stupid.” Tesla hit a pre-teen nerve too.

Back at home the software update screen popped up - again. Ditto the next day. I always cancel it but a little yellow alarm clock icon in the upper right of the screen remains. This little icon is playing a long game - knowing i’ll wear down, slip up, cave in … take a bite of the apple.

Not today, but thanks anyway.
That's not v9. I know that because there is no music player showing. Considering it shows up every time i start my car, and even when I press other unrelated buttons like the controls icon, with that many displays Tesla would have dedicated at least two of them to the media player. :p

• Funny
Reactions: AnxietyRanger