Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

v9.0 speculation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So what do you want to see in v9 and what do we think we'll actually get?
  • Tesla maps (part released already)
  • some FSD features - will this be accompanied by a deal to upgrade for those that dont already have FSD?
  • Tesla music? Big update to the media UI and a resolution of at least some of the limitations?
  • New UI - what might come with this? so long as they scrap the stupid auto-hide top menu bar when the map is showing (partial transparency instead?) and make accessing the radio less than 3 button presses I'll be happy.
  • love to view whatsapp/sms messages/emails on the main screen (even if for safety not able to reply)
  • Seems they're not far off something significant with blind spot monitoring display
  • Phone mirroring - i wish, but no bananas more likely
  • Waypoints on the maps, and a way to plan your route offline and upload to car - going to have to do it sometime
  • 360 camera view - Elon trailled this already
  • Dashcam function - again tyrailled already - I like the idea but how will they make the data available? via the app?
  • Speed limit sign recognition?
  • traffic light recognition even if only to display on the IC?
  • new app capabilities Phone as a key for MS?
more thoughts?

• Helpful
Reactions: PaulusdB
I noticed today that "August" has already become "a few months", which is basically the end of September.

"A few months" is also basically the extreme limit of Elon's sense of time, so it's very difficult to entertain the idea that this release will be coming any time soon.

sorry - did he specify which year?

my guess
target: August / Actual:October

(2018 if we're lucky) - yeah sorry Telsa but the delays do earn you a few quips

• Funny
Reactions: JayyyDeee
I think Elon said that the IC will show little cars in the blind spots.

little cars? I want the make/model/color/performance specs and driver type so I can assess whether they are going to be an ar$e and try to close the gap and cut me off

Actually in all honesty this is the decision process we instinctively make every day.
is there a car? yes
relative speed?
performance car?
driven by a jerk?
nope - okay safe to pull into the adjacent lane then
Guess FSD has a way to go yet.

Not sure that tweet changes the August date. Don’t get me wrong it could be December before v9 comes out. But, he was responding to a question about dashcam. I took it that hopefully in v9 in a few months. Like after v9 comes out (August) we can hopefully add Dashcam support. He originally said v9 would “start” to roll out FSD features in Aug. That would most likely not include Dashcam support.

Not sure that tweet changes the August date. Don’t get me wrong it could be December before v9 comes out. But, he was responding to a question about dashcam. I took it that hopefully in v9 in a few months. Like after v9 comes out (August) we can hopefully add Dashcam support. He originally said v9 would “start” to roll out FSD features in Aug. That would most likely not include Dashcam support.
The quote from Elon's tweet is "Hopefully in V9.0 release in a few months". So you think they are releasing V9.(-1) in August first? ;)

I doubt we see traffic light reaction until late 2019 or 2020. (18-24 months).

In 2018 we might get some sort of blind spot notification in the IC. And perhaps prompting to optionally change lanes.

Retrofittable side mirrors with lighted alerts would be a nice touch.

A redesigned steering wheel hands on detection approach and retrofit would be spiffy

A list of features that MCU2 will support would be nice.

I don’t have a lot of expectations for 9.1 in the FWD or silent E-AP arenas.

Just waiting for stop sign reaction as was discussed in late 2014. Looks like soon in that context will end up being 5-6 years.

Reactions: r0xx0r
Did you know that AP1 cars were wired for mirror blind spot warning (showed up in schematics in AP1 service manuals, as reported by those in MA, right-to-fix enforcing state, who had access)? Until of course Tesla company (not Elon) realized how dumb the idea of using parking sensors for blind spot monitoring is and how that will never work. Not sure whether AP2 cars have it, but possibly Elon decided nobody will need it since most people will sit int he back while FSD is driving everyone around by end of 2018 (which would be >2 years after the first FSD sale). Blind spot monitoring using cameras combined with parking sensors will not be as good as a decent, proven radar solution, but it will be better than AP1 brain fart of Elon's (seriously, how long would it have taken to verify that it won't work rather than sell it to people first). To be perfectly honest, IMO that and much improved emergency braking is probably all that AP2 customers are ever going to get (not necessarily v9). All the other stuff will be gimmicks, party tricks you can show off to your friends while watching to make sure the car doesn't crash into something, akin to summon today.

Last edited:
I doubt we see traffic light reaction until late 2019 or 2020. (18-24 months).

In 2018 we might get some sort of blind spot notification in the IC. And perhaps prompting to optionally change lanes.

A redesigned steering wheel hands on detection approach and retrofit would be spiffy

A list of features that MCU2 will support would be nice.

I don’t have a lot of expectations for 9.1 in the FWD or silent E-AP arenas.

Just waiting for stop sign reaction as was discussed in late 2014. Looks like soon in that context will end up being 5-6 years.
I do not think any of these are FSD Features which are to start rolling out in v9 / August. It may not happen of course but I think Stop detection would be 1 feature of FSD and that would satisfy the tweet.

The quote from Elon's tweet is "Hopefully in V9.0 release in a few months". So you think they are releasing V9.(-1) in August first? ;)
This is what I meant: V9.0 will span a year+ probably. And he said "Hopefully" we get Dashcam in v9.0. Not necessary the first release of v9.0. We have been on v8.1 for about 2 years I believe.

Firmware 9.0 2018.34 - Initial v9.0 Release (last week of August) - Start with first FSD Features. Stop sign?
Firmware 9.0 2018.36 - Second Release of v9.0
Firmware 9.0 2018.38 - Third Release of v9.0
Firmware 9.0 2018.44 - .... Release of v9.0 with DashCam (late October) - "Hopefully"

Sometime in 2019 we might get v9.1 etc......

And of course all of above could be push out to 2019......

Reactions: diplomat33