Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V9 39.7 - Dashcam not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am having the same problem. I received 39.7 Saturday morning and had a thumb drive ready to go on on the first drive It was recording fine this morning but I noticed the "X" on the way home from the movies I see a bunch of REC files in the root. Hope this gets fixed soon as I am already used to my Tesla having a working dash cam!

I do have a USB hub in the picture, do others with the same problem have it directly plugged in?

I am having the same problem. I received 39.7 Saturday morning and had a thumb drive ready to go on on the first drive It was recording fine this morning but I noticed the "X" on the way home from the movies I see a bunch of REC files in the root. Hope this gets fixed soon as I am already used to my Tesla having a working dash cam!

I do have a USB hub in the picture, do others with the same problem have it directly plugged in?

Mine was directly plugged in until yesterday, when I put a hub into place. I'll be going out this morning, and we'll see if anything changes.

I don't think the *.rec files at root is unique to 39.7. I had them before on 39.4 and 39.6. I have not gotten 39.7 yet. My theory was that the .rec files were created at the moment the car went to sleep and lost power to the USB port. They probably correspond to the last min of recording with a corrupted mp4 file just before going to sleep mode.

I thought it might be removing the usb without turn off the cam, but we were out driving yesterday and it quit after a quick stop to check out a store.
It was working before the stop and grey X when we got back 10 minutes later.
One thing I’ve noticed is that the cam keeps running for a really long time after going into park and long after the car locks itself.
Lots of files showing nothing but parking lot views.

Reactions: PeterK
Same issue here after a couple days of working perfectly- gray x, drive had a bunch of REC files on it.

No hub/splitter/multi partitions- just a straight 32GB drive with nothing else on it but the teslacam folder.

I've had V9 since 10/5, and issue appears every 2 days or so. Only solution, as others stated, has been to reformat usb stick. Have tried a whole bunch of configurations (partitioned, non-partitioned, 8gb usb, 16gb usb, 32gb usb, etc..) but issue keeps occuring.

I got the same issue,reformat the drive and it happened again after the minute,i am not sure if the problem with the flash drive,i just order some new drive from amazon,anybody know how to fix this problem,it only wotks for the first time i plug it in.

Attachments

• 0EA109CE-18B1-49B3-AE2F-6CA60D15FB4A.jpeg
    0EA109CE-18B1-49B3-AE2F-6CA60D15FB4A.jpeg
    288.2 KB · Views: 87
I got the same issue,reformat the drive and it happened again after the minute,i am not sure if the problem with the flash drive,i just order some new drive from amazon,anybody know how to fix this problem,it only wotks for the first time i plug it in.
Seems like it's an issue with the dash cam feature and not a problem with the usb drive. We can't all be using the same drive.

Seems like it's an issue with the dash cam feature and not a problem with the usb drive. We can't all be using the same drive.
I think the drive may actually make a difference. I see the corrupted filesystem too when I connect the drive to a computer, but I haven't seen the "X" on the icon so far, even though the drive I'm currently using has been in the car for more than 10 hours of driving time. Perhaps the error occurs earlier on drives with a small capacity as the filesystem is more and more corrupted?