Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V9 39.7 - Dashcam not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can see it, I guess it depends how much of it you're blocking with your finger

Fat fingers = blocked icon :rolleyes:

I think it is case sensitive also. TeslaCam Capital T and Capital C

Appreciate the input... checked just now and it's done correctly (spelling and case-sensitive).

Re-formatted and re-created the TeslaCam folder, reinserted, and still nothing.

I should mention that nothing changed from when it worked originally and when it stopped working (i.e. same drive, didn't remove drive, etc.). The only thing that happened is that the car (presumably) 'slept' overnight.

I'm on 39.6... haven't received the update to 39.7 yet - but it doesn't sound like .7 is any better...

Fat fingers = blocked icon :rolleyes:

Appreciate the input... checked just now and it's done correctly (spelling and case-sensitive).

Re-formatted and re-created the TeslaCam folder, reinserted, and still nothing.

I should mention that nothing changed from when it worked originally and when it stopped working (i.e. same drive, didn't remove drive, etc.). The only thing that happened is that the car (presumably) 'slept' overnight.

I'm on 39.6... haven't received the update to 39.7 yet - but it doesn't sound like .7 is any better...
Not any better. A lot of people reporting issues including me.

I formatted mine with MacOS, per the instructions (MSDOS FAT, TeslaCam folder), seemed to work fine right after the V9 39.7 install. Noticed the grey X this morning, removed the drive and plugged it into a Windows 10 machine. Drive comes up with volume name of EFI and capacity of 196 MB; this is a 32 GB drive. I'll check it on my Mac at home tonight. The drive hasn't been anywhere else except in the car so the car somehow reformatted the drive. Sounds implausible but I have not other explanation.

I am not a windows user so I'm not sure what is going on. I plugged the drive into my mac at home and the volume name came up as I had formatted it and the TeslaCam folder was there with recordings from when I first plugged in the drive (my garage....) Nothing recorded during the drives after that. From what everyone else has been saying it looks like somethings getting messed up when the car shuts off. I guess I'll wait and see if there's an update to address the issue.

Tried an old 8GB Sandisk flash drive. Got the grey x within a day. Got a new 32GB Silicon Power flash drive. Worked for 3 days until I got the grey x again. I did not eject the flash drive during that time. There is definitely a corruption issue.
After two complete failures, I was at least able to record a 20 minute drive to and from the UPS store. Using a newer, high capacity USB stick seems to help: V9 Dashcam, have you made it work?

They're great directions for someone unfamiliar with computers to set up a drive.

They don't help at all with the corruption issue folks are experiencing though.
The creator of that tutorial is speculating that converting the drive to GPT format may help prevent corruption. Converting to GPT is covered in his instructions, so if anyone wants to try it, just follow the tutorial, but only create one primary partition if you don't want two.

There are two other items I did in this procedure that could be part of the issue:

1. I converted the entire drive to GPT format (see the "convert gpt" command). GPT is the newer, standardized partition format for drives, and it's universal between Windows, Mac, and Linux. It's also the required disk format if the computer has an EFI BIOS.

The older MBR format was PC-only, and other platforms eventually supported it, but not natively.

It's likely your 4GB drive is MBR format. That is the default on Windows unless you take the specific step to convert it to GPT.

2. The partitions are aligned to 1MB-boundaries. This probably has very little or no effect, but it's something that a standard windows partition creation will not do without effort.

Also, remember we're speaking of two separate corruption issues:

1. File corruption in the last file that was being written when the USB drive gets powered off or removed. This still occurs, but the dashcam will still record.

2. Corruption that results in the dashcam no longer recording (dashcam icon appears with a gray X). This corruption requires the USB drive to be reformatted to fix. This is the corruption that the procedure appears to solve.

You're correct though that at this point, my blame of this corruption issue on the 3rd-party formatter is not well-corroborated. Indeed, the 3rd-party formatter might work fine, and it's the GPT/MBR issue that is the problem.

• Informative
Reactions: ItsNotAboutTheMoney
They're great directions for someone unfamiliar with computers to set up a drive.

They don't help at all with the corruption issue folks are experiencing though.

The creator of that tutorial is speculating that converting the drive to GPT format may help prevent corruption. Converting to GPT is covered in his instructions, so if anyone wants to try it, just follow the tutorial, but only create one primary partition if you don't want two.

Yes, this is why i posted that link. For the tools part that I mentioned in my post. To see if GPT serves better.

I agree, I don't think a flush/unmount is happening on the USB drive before the power to it is dropped. I think this can cause the X on the camera ICON whenever the car "turns off" if the camera is currently recording. I think pausing the recording via the long press on the camera ICON before getting out of the car (everytime!), not just before removing the USB drive, may prevent the X problem.

Appeared to work fine for a few days while turning recording off (yes, every time) before exiting vehicle to help ensure data is not being transferred during a power on/off/sleep cycle of the car.

Forgot to turn recording off a couple of times and it subsequently failed not long after.