Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V9 39.7 - Dashcam not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Appeared to work fine for a few days while turning recording off (yes, every time) before exiting vehicle to help ensure data is not being transferred during a power on/off/sleep cycle of the car.

Forgot to turn recording off a couple of times and it subsequently failed not long after.

Yes I agree the problem is that the USB drive was not umounted properly when the car shutdown. I tested it and get same conclusion as you. I made a video to explain the workaround (manually turnoff recording) as well:

Same issue as everyone else, but didn't need to reformat. When I plug the USB into the laptop, Windows gave a message that there was a problem with the drive and let me run a scan and repair and that resolved the issue.

Also IMHO they really should just move the dashcam icon to the location where backup camera and charge icons are, that will make the icon a bigger one and will be easier for the driver to push in order to save events while in the middle of driving. Where it currently is, make it extremely hard to hit it while you are driving due to size and distance of the location.

Aside from the issues of not being able to record etc, I can't read the files on a Windows 10 machine. I can read them fine on a Mac. A quick search tells me that Windows in general doesn't like FAT32. I can't seem to find a workaround in order to view the videos on a Windows 10 machine. Am I missing something?

Aside from the issues of not being able to record etc, I can't read the files on a Windows 10 machine. I can read them fine on a Mac. A quick search tells me that Windows in general doesn't like FAT32. I can't seem to find a workaround in order to view the videos on a Windows 10 machine. Am I missing something?

Windows 10 reads FAT32 just fine. Are you trying to access the first or second partition? The second partition of a flash drive may not be visable unless you update to the latest Windows 10.

I have had no corruption issues with the flash drive in the car after I converted it to GPT. If you are still getting the gray "x" please check your volume information in the Windows Disk Management tool.

Windows 10 reads FAT32 just fine. Are you trying to access the first or second partition? The second partition of a flash drive may not be visable unless you update to the latest Windows 10.

I have had no corruption issues with the flash drive in the car after I converted it to GPT. If you are still getting the gray "x" please check your volume information in the Windows Disk Management tool.

When I plug the drive in it shows up with a volume name of EFI, 200 mb. No contents visible. If I use the Windows disk manager I can see the larger partition is there but can't access it. The drive was formatted on a Mac as FAT32, not sure if this is the root of the problem or not.

Please educate me, what is GPT?

When I plug the drive in it shows up with a volume name of EFI, 200 mb. No contents visible. If I use the Windows disk manager I can see the larger partition is there but can't access it. The drive was formatted on a Mac as FAT32, not sure if this is the root of the problem or not.

Please educate me, what is GPT?

GPT is a newer partition format. The WHOLE DISK has to use this format. Converting a disk to GPT will require the entire disk be wiped out and partitions have to be recreated. The default is still MBR for many drives including flash drives. I'm not convinced people have truly converted their flash drives to GPT since Windows' diskpart utility will not actually do it for most flash drives. I had to use a 3rd party utility to do it on Windows. I was able to do it on my other flash drive using a GParted live linux CD.

Here's how to verify which partition style you are using in Windows:
  1. Go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management, and select Disk Management
  2. On the left of the right lower pane,
    • right-click on Disk X (where "X" is the number associated with your flash drive) and select Properties.
    • Select the Volumes tab.
    • The Partition style: entry will show as either Master Boot Record (MBR) or GUID Partition Table (GPT).

So mine is finally working for 3 days so far!!! it is recording 1 minute videos not sure if that is how it should be?!!! I only have two corrupt videos out of 30 good one minute ones.
The USB I used is a new flash drive I bought for the purpose of having my music as well it is a 128 GB USB 3.1 Samsung FIT PLUS that I formatted to MS-DOS (FAT32) using the MacOS Disk Utility. I hope this helps!!

So mine is finally working for 3 days so far!!! it is recording 1 minute videos not sure if that is how it should be?!!! I only have two corrupt videos out of 30 good one minute ones.
The USB I used is a new flash drive I bought for the purpose of having my music as well it is a 128 GB USB 3.1 Samsung FIT PLUS that I formatted to MS-DOS (FAT32) using the MacOS Disk Utility. I hope this helps!!
I can confirm that the recordings are in 1 minutes intervals even though online sources says otherwise.