Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V9 39.7 - Dashcam not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As another posted, my dash cam icon has an X icon next to it. Worked fine on 39.5 and 39.6 and when I got into my car today after installing 39.7 last night, it seemed to work fine with red record icon on. Got out of the car to grab something from the house come back in and got ready to leave when I noticed the dash cam icon has X icon on it.

Anyone else have this issue/been able to fix?

I'm getting the same thing right now... But I swapped USB drives.. I think the one I'm using right now is unreliable. If I plug and replug it works for a bit; but then goes back to the X icon after some time. I think it is because the write speed on this USB drive is a little bit atrocious. More testing to come.

So I figured it out via trial and error.

Erasing the usb files (eg TeslaCam directory) is not enough. Drive needs to be formatted. Seems like the 39.7 update corrupted the disk probably during the update process.
It seems the TeslaCam feature corrupts the filesystem even in regular operation. I have tested the feature today and removed the USB drive twice to check the recorded videos on a computer. Both times I found FSCKxxx.rec files in the root directory, which is where the Linux filesystem checker (fsck/dosfsck) collects the data from lost sectors. Perhaps it doesn't flush/unmount the USB drive properly when you put the car in park, so the filesystem may be in an inconsistent state when you unplug the drive. I'll try if explicitly pausing the camera (long press on the status bar icon) before removing the drive helps.

• Informative
Reactions: emorog
It seems the TeslaCam feature corrupts the filesystem even in regular operation. I have tested the feature today and removed the USB drive twice to check the recorded videos on a computer. Both times I found FSCKxxx.rec files in the root directory, which is where the Linux filesystem checker (fsck/dosfsck) collects the data from lost sectors. Perhaps it doesn't flush/unmount the USB drive properly when you put the car in park, so the filesystem may be in an inconsistent state when you unplug the drive. I'll try if explicitly pausing the camera (long press on the status bar icon) before removing the drive helps.
I'm reminded of unmounting a volume before it is physically disconnected

Before you unplug the usb you need to hold the record button to turn it off. Then pull the usb.
Not sure it is related to unplugging the USB improperly. Mine was working until we stopped for lunch. When we returned to car the icon displayed the x where the red light was previously. Have erased and reformatted the drive and will give it a try next time we go out.

Not sure it is related to unplugging the USB improperly. Mine was working until we stopped for lunch. When we returned to car the icon displayed the x where the red light was previously. Have erased and reformatted the drive and will give it a try next time we go out.

I have the same issue. I get the grey x sometimes even without having removed the usb. I reformat to get it working again and in a couple of days the problem happens again.

I agree, I don't think a flush/unmount is happening on the USB drive before the power to it is dropped. I think this can cause the X on the camera ICON whenever the car "turns off" if the camera is currently recording. I think pausing the recording via the long press on the camera ICON before getting out of the car (everytime!), not just before removing the USB drive, may prevent the X problem.

I agree, I don't think a flush/unmount is happening on the USB drive before the power to it is dropped. I think this can cause the X on the camera ICON whenever the car "turns off" if the camera is currently recording. I think pausing the recording via the long press on the camera ICON before getting out of the car (everytime!), not just before removing the USB drive, may prevent the X problem.
I agree with you same thing happened to me after upgrading to 39.7. I tried two different USB flash drives 2.0 and 3.0 and they both failed after powering off/on the car

I was in the garage trying to figure out why the browser was no longer working. After I rebooted the screen (which got the browser working), I noticed the dashcam icon had a red x, and I could no longer turn it on. I removed the usb drive, plugged it in to my MacBook air, checked a few files and found the most recent seemed to be corrupt. I trashed all of the files, and used Disk Utility to 'repair' the disk. It is working again, but I don't know for how long.