Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V9 39.7 - Dashcam not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree, I don't think a flush/unmount is happening on the USB drive before the power to it is dropped. I think this can cause the X on the camera ICON whenever the car "turns off" if the camera is currently recording. I think pausing the recording via the long press on the camera ICON before getting out of the car (everytime!), not just before removing the USB drive, may prevent the X problem.
Same for me, ...So far it seems that whenever I pause the cam before powering down, it stays in pause mode when I power up and I would then need to initiate record mode to begin recording again.

If i ever forgot to pause first, i needed to reformat and do it all again.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: xdmanalo
For what is worth, I had experienced the gray X issue several times with a 64GB partitioned and formatted with a third-party app into 20GB for dashcam and 44Gb for Music. The "fix" was basically to re-format the 20GB partition using standard windows FAT32 functionality, apparently windows native format works better with TESLA than third-party software. You do need the third party software to create the dashcam partiton (32GB or less), and then use Windows to format it.

So far so good, 4 days of driving without the gray-x, and without even bothering to stop recording after a drive. If it fails I'll report back.

Well, since my drive corrupted again today after working fine the last 2 or 3 days, I have reformatted the 4GB drive using the recommended GPT method (entirely via diskpart.exe in Windows 7). We'll see if it lasts and I'll report my findings daily.
Still going 2 days later.... Formatted 10/18 and plugged in around 4pm. Driven multiple times per day since.

I've noticed the error happens mostly frequently when the car is on for a short period. For example if I forget something in the car and have to go back to get it, the usb will get corrupted. It does this pretty consistently. Like others have said it doesn't appear the car shuts down properly on short trips and corrupts the drive.

Same here. Got the X in the icon and recording stopped after about 30 minutes of driving. Reformatted and now works again. 32GB Samsung USB drive.
For some reason I cannot get the camera icon to show. This is after 2 different usb drives were tried. I formatted per the instructions on the website. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have 9.0 39.7. 2017 Model X. Thanks in advance.

From what we can see on TeslaFi, 2018.40 is the current release. It does look like 39.7 was halted (only a few cars last few days) and 40 and 40.1 (40.1 may be early access?) are the current ones.

I’d hang in there until you get the next release. There were many reports on Reddit of people calling support and being told that 39.7 was pulled. This included people getting ‘software update ready’ and it even disappeared from cars before actual install, which is rare (I’ve not seen it before in years that I can recall). (Yes, I know the above two paragraphs don’t agree. Makes no sense why a recall doesn’t have 100% effect but that’s what we’ve seen and are seeing on TeslaFi.)