Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm on V9 (2018.39.7 9736c9b) and I've been experiencing intermittent audio glitches ever since.

The entire audio stack cut out (usually with some static distortion as it cuts out -- think of someone pulling a 3.5mm out of a jack while actively playing off that input, that's sort of what it sounds like). I do not think this is a bluetooth issue because when I say the entire audio stack cuts out, I mean it. Turn signal and other auditory indicators are also affected.

It usually comes back on its own in ~10-15 seconds, but there was one instance where it didn't come back for about a minute. My remotely educated guess here is that whatever daemon they are using to serve the sound (going to guess PulseAudio) is crashing/segfaulting and the init system is restarting the process. Again, this is pure speculation.

Has anybody else experienced this? I've tried a soft reboot so far, not a hard reboot (though I doubt it will help, seems to be a bug in this release).

FWIW, I'm using an iPhone X (haven't tried repairing yet, though again doubt that will help as I suspect it's an issue with the system's audio stack not the bluetooth stack). Have also experienced this with a friend's phone connected and playing audio (also an iPhone X).

(have also submitted a bug report via voice control)

If you're referring to the crackling sound that happens occasionally, then it was present before V9.

If this is what you're describing, you can press the volume dial down twice to mute/un-mute and it'll go away. This issue was present in V8 as well.

If you're referring to the crackling sound that happens occasionally, then it was present before V9.

If this is what you're describing, you can press the volume dial down twice to mute/un-mute and it'll go away. This issue was present in V8 as well.

No, this is not just crackling/static. The entire system stops functioning (not just the music portion).

This has happened on my Model 3 once or twice since v9. Thought it was the bluetooth cutting out - but maybe not. Prior to v9 I experience what sounded like a single speaker cutting in/out like bad connection. I had scheduled service to check that out next week but that particular problem has gone away.

Mine has been doing this since I installed v9. Only happens on the phone's BT connection. Never did that on any of the previous versions. Occasionally get static in the Streaming app like Alketi mentioned, but that's been a thing since day 1.

I thought I was just me, but I have the EXACT same issue since the update. Never happened before, so clearly a bug. It happens on my phone BT audio (listening to podcasts), not sure if affecting other systems

The issue with the audio crackle and then cut-out has happened to me a few times since 39.7. It occurred while I was streaming bluetooth audio from my phone and I had assumed that was the extent of the issue (even thinking it might have been a phone issue). I'm now on 42.2 and this morning the entire audio stack went into the weeds. Started with streaming from my phone but I then realized,
1. Turn signal wasn't making any noise
2. Pressing the voice command button kept failing (and there was no 'beep' to prompt me to begin speaking). So this prevented me from filing a bug report. I also checked to confirm I had a good cell signal in the car
3. FM radio and slacker streaming weren't just silent; pressing on the FM or streaming station icons actually didn't seem to do anything
4. I always get proximity alerts pulling into my parking garage and these didn't sound.

Once I had parked, I walked around my car to retrieve something from the passenger side. As soon as I opened the door, the radio started blaring.

Are all of these things failing for everyone else having the issue?

Started happening to me today after updating to 42.3 from 39.7 (both v9) it’s out with static ever few minute when streaming from my iPhone. Pretty certain it’s Bluetooth related in my case as a few times the podcast I was listening to stopped playing on the phone. If it was purely the audio stack, the I don’t think the phone would have been impacted

I have this issue too on 42.2. I get the pop noise and then all audio is gone for a period of time, including turn signals and autosteer chimes. It was persistent at least once per drive, but after a reset it has happened only once.

Probably unrelated, but I had a much worse event today. The entire audio stack failed to initialize, including turn signals, AP, phone, and entertainment. Rebooting a few times didn’t fix it. It stayed disabled during the duration of the 45 min drive, but initialized correctly when I left and got back into the car.

• Informative
Reactions: stillwaiting
Probably unrelated, but I had a much worse event today. The entire audio stack failed to initialize, including turn signals, AP, phone, and entertainment. Rebooting a few times didn’t fix it. It stayed disabled during the duration of the 45 min drive, but initialized correctly when I left and got back into the car.
same experience today, had to do a 36 minute drive with road noise. no indicator blinks nothing.