Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

v9 browser not working?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had the same problem since V9 update (browser not working at all) but last night I got the new update (42.2) and it now works, including with TeslaWaze. Strangely, this new version allows to display the radio/multimedia and a second app at the same time (rearview camera, phone, calendar) except the browser!

I so wanted to start a new thread entitled, "Holy Cow! My Browser Worked!"
But then I saw this thread and decided it was more appropriate to add a comment here.
Anyway, yesterday afternoon I was waiting in the cellphone lot at Boston's Logan Airport to hear from my spouse that she had landed. The plane was late so I wanted to check whether or not it had arrived while I was on my way to the airport. I pulled out my TMobile phone and looked for the JetBlue flight status page. I had 2 or 3 bars on my phone, but it seemed to be taking forever for the page to load.
Out of frustration, since I was just sitting there anyway, I started the car's browser and typed in the same search term. Before too long, the JetBlue page appeared! It was a bit difficult to tell if the flight search number panel was active or not, and I had to poke around a bit, but I put in the flight number, and in a few seconds got the flight status. The cellphone had still not responded (but did eventually respond, a minute or two later.)
I think that is one of the few times the car's browser has ever provided any useful results in the 3 years I have had the car, and certainly the first time it has even worked since I got v9.
In all honesty, I would probably not have been as impressed if the cellphone had performed normally. My guess is the TMobile network was just too busy, or that particular page was busy, since i was at an airport in bad weather with hundreds or thousands of people in the same vicinity probably all trying to do the same search.
But I was pleased to know the browser could actually deliver a result.
The screen clarity -- well, that is a different story. Not sure how much of that was the browser versus the JetBlue screen design.
My car is on 2018.39.6.

Reactions: Sabre Man
My MCU1 browser hasn't worked since v9, except for maybe 2 or 3 occasions. Any other time it just sits there with a blank screen. Has anyone reached out to service about this, rather than the usual hope and prayer strategy? My car is going to go out of warranty in few months, and since the browser is an official car feature I feel like they should fix it under warranty. If their software requires MCU2, fine, swap mine with MCU2, not my problem they chose to abandon MCU1 support and update my car with it. At the very least maybe log that the MCU is going bad, so if it was to fail completely after the warranty ends, I should get a free replacement since it was already bad under warranty.

For me, (MCU 2) not only does the browser rarely work, but the audio stops working at least once a week. Twice, so far, all sound did not work (including the noise of the directional signals)... creepy feeling

Once, I hard rebooted at a red light because it was too quiet :)

For me, (MCU 2) not only does the browser rarely work, but the audio stops working at least once a week. Twice, so far, all sound did not work (including the noise of the directional signals)... creepy feeling

Once, I hard rebooted at a red light because it was too quiet :)
Yea, my wife tells me her MCU2 screeches at her sometimes instead of making blinker noises. Tesla should change their name to "BetaBet".

When my MCU1 browser gets "stuck" I can usually bring it back to life by loading a favorite. Even then, it seems to only be able to load an initial url. Any further navigation within the page fails way more often than not. This gets worse when there is no visual feedback that it actually registered the link you tapped. Sometimes I think it's hung when it actually just wants MINUTES to load a lightweight page.

I think there are multiple things at play for why the browser is so terrible.

Oh, one thing I've grown to hate is when trying to swipe it to full screen, I almost always end up hitting the url bar itself which brings up the keyboard. Am I the only one?

European MS 2016 AP1 facelift here. After v9 was installed couple of weeks ago, the browser and Spotify went on strike. Both things don't work.

The TuneIn works with some glitches - sometimes not working for few hours and then come back online.

Tesla tried to diagnose the bug remotely and even pushed 42.3 to my car but it didn't help. And it looks like they just stopped trying to fix it...