Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V9 Cold weather update.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have recently received the cold weather OTA update for my Model 3. While it was meant to address issues with freezing windows and charging wands that could not be removed after charging, I had reported to Tesla in the week before the update that in my case, I was unable to charge my car because the locking mechanism was activating prematurely and preventing me from being able to insert the charging wand. The cold weather update seems to have fixed this problem, but now when I return to my car each morning after charging, the wand is no longer locked in place as I can remove it without first pushing the button on the charging wand. I believe it is locked in place when I start charging as I can hear what sounds like the locking mechanism activating, but not sure what is happening after that. Possibly the locking mechanism is releasing once the charge is complete. Anyone else seeing this?

The update keeps the charge port unlocked during cold weather. Be sure to press the button before unplugging so that you don't get an arc, ESPECIALLY when Supercharging.

I thought it was locked during charging and unlocked at the end, so not an issue. ...would go test it now, but I don't think it's cold enough today to trigger the cold temperature unlock.

The update keeps the charge port unlocked during cold weather. Be sure to press the button before unplugging so that you don't get an arc, ESPECIALLY when Supercharging.

I thought the button on the charge wand was to release the locking mechanism. Does it have another function? In my case, current temp between -5 to +5, charge port door opens normally, then there is a long pause before the locking mechanism activates after I insert the wand. When I return the next day, I am able to remove the wand without pushing the button.

I thought it was locked during charging and unlocked at the end, so not an issue. ...would go test it now, but I don't think it's cold enough today to trigger the cold temperature unlock.

No the wand should be locked in until you push the button even when finished charging. After reading the owners manual, I believe it stated something to the effect that you should make sure the charge is finished before pushing the button to remove the charging wand. That is what has concerned me about not being locked in. I have sent this into Tesla so waiting for their official reply.

The button on the charge plug stops charging and unlocks it. The key component there is stopping charging.

The release notes for the update were pretty scant... "Window position and charge connector locking behaviors have been optimized for cold weather".

But I think you are right, the charge port seems to be already unlocked when I go to charge as I can no longer hear the mechanism unlocking after the charge port door opens. I believe it is locking again after a long pause once the charging wand is inserted, but I can't be certain of this as I am less enthusiastic to try removing it without first pushing the button. Certainly when I return after the charge has completed, I can remove the wand without pressing the button, so probably the update is also automatically unlocking after charge is complete. But not being able to determine for certain that the wand is locked in during charging is what generated my question of concern in the first place. Regarding manually removing the wand while charging, Tesla provides the following warning in the Model 3 user manual.

"Warning: Do not perform this procedure while your vehicle is charging or if any orange high voltage conductors are exposed. Failure to follow these instructions can result in electric shock and serious injury or damage to the vehicle. If you have any uncertainty as to how to safely perform this procedure, contact Tesla."

Tesla could probably be a little bit more descriptive in their release notes to OTA updates so that users can more easily recognize if the car is behaving correctly. Based on numerous other threads I have read here, it wouldn't be the first time that an OTA generated an unwanted behaviour. Seems to me posting a question or concern on a users forum might be a logical first step, or at least one of them. But the internet is a funny thing, and one of its problems is that it has no way of stopping idiots from using it.

what has it done for regen, and or the snow tire issues?

Those are all good question. I heard that in V10, pressing and holding the button on the charging wand for 3 seconds is going to extend traction studs when the correct winter tires are installed, setting the Model 3 in high-speed zamboni mode. Apparently the NHL is looking into this with some interest. Also in V10, it is rumoured if you lightly tap the button 3 short, then 3 long, followed by 3 short presses, the Model 3 will instantaneously rewarm the battery regardless of ambient temperature to make full regen available. It is not clear whether these updates will make it to the Model S though, so you might have to upgrade if you want to enjoy these features.

• Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod
HI CUBldr97, I would like to quote your post on one of the Massey Ferguson tractor forums I contribute to and wanted to know how I go about getting written permission. Also, is there a licensing/copyright fee for use? Thanks.
Sarcasm runs deep with this one...

As my question goes towards your post V9 cold weather update.... I was asking about all the issues that people are having with snow tires, and the Model 3 limiting REGEN due to the tires. It was thought that there would be a software update to correct for that... sorry if that was not part of your intent to discuss cold weather issue.

Sarcasm runs deep with this one...

As my question goes towards your post V9 cold weather update.... I was asking about all the issues that people are having with snow tires, and the Model 3 limiting REGEN due to the tires. It was thought that there would be a software update to correct for that... sorry if that was not part of your intent to discuss cold weather issue.

I apologize for not being more direct in trying to answering your question. The problem of concern for me is whether the car is behaving as intended after the update. I think Big Earl and Joelliot have it pretty close, and aside from having the charge port unlocked in cold weather, it seems to also unlock again automatically after charging is complete. The question this raises for me is if the car sits for an extended period of time plugged-in so that the battery drains enough to want to start charging again, will it lock again automatically? The obvious answer should be yes, and I am hoping that is the case. Maybe the problem in cold weather is with the communication link between the car and the charging wand itself, and the update has the car do the locking and unlocking itself.

Regarding your question, from what I can tell, there doesn't seem to be any noticeable effect on regen for my car after the update. I haven't seem temps below -9C yet, but expect that to change soon.

Confirmation that the cold weather update does automatically lock the charge port again when charging restarts. After decreasing my set charge level last night, I reset it back to a higher level from within the phone app on returning to my car this morning and saw that once the car woke up, the charging light first illuminated white and then changed to dark blue with an activation sound of the locking mechanism followed by flashing green as charging restarted. The long pause that I now notice when initially inserting the charging wand is not present.

If you dont preheat\charge the car when temp is around 0C, how much regen do you get then? In my Model S regen is disabled when temp drops below 0C, but in the Nissan Leaf and Kia Soul EV at work they have some regen even at -10C without preheating\charging, not a lot, but you get a few kW. I wonder if Tesla has made the Model 3 batteries better i low temps than on the Model S. In generel li-ion batteries cant be charged below freezing* (they can, but at very low speeds) so Tesla has disabled this completely in S and X but so far I haven`t found out if it`s the same for Model 3.

If you dont preheat\charge the car when temp is around 0C, how much regen do you get then? In my Model S regen is disabled when temp drops below 0C, but in the Nissan Leaf and Kia Soul EV at work they have some regen even at -10C without preheating\charging, not a lot, but you get a few kW. I wonder if Tesla has made the Model 3 batteries better i low temps than on the Model S. In generel li-ion batteries cant be charged below freezing* (they can, but at very low speeds) so Tesla has disabled this completely in S and X but so far I haven`t found out if it`s the same for Model 3.

Interesting post @taraqui!, Like you, I am also interested in knowing more about how my car performs and what makes it perform the way that it does. Getting into an EV was a completely new thing for me, so I am on a really big learning curve at the moment. To try and help with your question, I took some screen shots of my Model 3 while driving yesterday in -6C weather. In my case, the car was parked and plugged in to a Tesla wall connector overnight in a garage that had the heating turned off. In the first screen shot, I am just pulling out of my garage, you see the car sensing a temp of -2C and about half the regen meter covered with dots. Twelve minutes later, I take another screen shot where the car senses a temp of -5C and my iPhone is telling me the ambient temperature is -6C with no real change in the regen meter. This is expected because the battery is probably still at the same temperature it was when I unplugged it before leaving. About 5 hours later, with the car parked outside and unplugged, we can see the blue bar and snow flake icons in images 3 and 4 that denote limited energy availability due to a cold battery with about 25% of the regen meter still being a solid bar. In -6C weather, I have to rely heavily on the brakes to slow down. And while regen behaviour at any temp can vary depending on whether you are going up or down a hill, and at what speed you are travelling, I would say that at -6C, I can feel a slight breaking affect below 40 km/hr, with a significantly noticeable increase in breaking somewhere between 27 and 30 km/hr due to regenerative torque.

regen1.jpg regen2.jpg regen3.jpg regen4.jpg

One thing the Model 3 does really well is traction control, even when engaging regenerative breaking on slippery roads. I was a little curious as to how regenerative breaking would work in winter conditions when you suddenly take your foot off of the accelerator. To Tesla's credit, they have the software and hardware down to a fine art in this area. The thing is so responsive in its control that it is almost hard to believe. The caveat being that with the high inertial mass of an EV, we should probably be giving ourselves a little extra room for stopping.

Thx for checking evJoule :) If your readings are correct it appears the new batteries in TM3 can do regen below 0C. That is good news and explains why some people preheat and batteryheating dors not kick in even at -5C since the battery has good performance even at that temp :) In my car I usually get partial blue bar at -10C or below and regen is never available when there 7s a blue bar, not even closely :)

If you are able to check evJoule, could you see if you still have regen when car has stayed unplugged and not preheated in like -10C? I wonder where the limit for regen is and how this relates to the batteryheating when preheating :) On Model S batteryheater is enabled up to around 10C which giv3s about 30kW regen (70kW is max in Model S).

Reactions: evJOULE
So you only get a blue bar at like -10C? If you activate battery heating at that temp, how long does it take before the blue bar status is removed? And at what temp will the Model S start taking a charge?
It takes about 5 mins for blue bar to disappear. 10-15 mins of preheat or fastcharge before I get any regen. Quite different from yours.