Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

v9 Dash Cam Inconsistent Recording

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For anyone else that is using the v9 Dash Cam feature, have you noticed inconsistent recording?

The last couple of days when I pull out my thumb drive to view the recordings, it seems like at some points it stops recording. For example, this morning, I drove a bit, parked for a couple of hours, drove some more home. It had some recordings from my first drive, but nothing from my drive home. The dash cam icon shows that it is recording though. The thumb drive I am using is 64gb so it is not a space issue.

I noticed similar behavior yesterday too and rebooted to see if that would clear it, which it seemed it did temporarily, but happened again.

Anyone else notice this behavior?

Thanks!

For anyone else that is using the v9 Dash Cam feature, have you noticed inconsistent recording?

The last couple of days when I pull out my thumb drive to view the recordings, it seems like at some points it stops recording. For example, this morning, I drove a bit, parked for a couple of hours, drove some more home. It had some recordings from my first drive, but nothing from my drive home. The dash cam icon shows that it is recording though. The thumb drive I am using is 64gb so it is not a space issue.

I noticed similar behavior yesterday too and rebooted to see if that would clear it, which it seemed it did temporarily, but happened again.

Anyone else notice this behavior?

Thanks!
You are actually doing better than I am. I have an 8 GB disc formatted to MS-DOS (FAT) file architecture but when I plug it in I do not get the dash cam icon and it does not record any activity. I assume I am missing something here but I am pretty baffled. Any ideas?

You are actually doing better than I am. I have an 8 GB disc formatted to MS-DOS (FAT) file architecture but when I plug it in I do not get the dash cam icon and it does not record any activity. I assume I am missing something here but I am pretty baffled. Any ideas?
according to the Tesla blogs and several articles, you need to format the USB as FAT32 (not FAT) for it to work

It only keeps the last 60 minutes of activity unless you tap the dashcam icon to "save" the last 10 minutes. So if you want to keep everything you need to tap the dashcam icon every ~9 minutes.

We don't know if the last 60 minutes is the last 60 minutes of active driving, or just the last consecutive 60 minutes. My guess is that it is based on the last actual 60 minutes.

My TeslaCam has been recording very very well, however the last section of my drive doesn't record, like it got corrupted. I'm assuming because it didn't record the whole 60 second clip prior to me removing the drive. I did tap and hold to stop recording before removing, I guess that still doesn't write the last section of the recording. I will try the tap to record the last 10 minutes next time. Kind of annoying.

Reactions: 1375mlm
Here are behaviors I have noticed in my MX 100D:

1) I have tapped and seen it indicate it was saving but not removed the drive until far later only to find those previous saves were gone.

2) I have pressed and held to try to pause and it flashes, but still shows the circle after.

3) I have tapped and seen it indicate it was saving, then removed the drive after using the power off function and waiting for the LEDs behind the USB ports to turn off before removing. When I watched the saved videos (or the recent videos), there seemed to be a gap of 3-15 seconds between each one minute video clip that was not recorded.

And it just got better... I just pulled the drive and noticed that the data has not changed since the last time I used it. This in spite of the fact that the circle is on the cam with no x and I have tapped it and had it look like it was saving since then. Unfortunately, I'm colorblind and have no clue whether or not there is more than one possible color for the circle that might explain this issue.

Reactions: 1375mlm
Similar issues, sporadic recording and its days old when I check, and only from one single day. Despite showing the recording icon. Thinking it could be from using a pretty old drive? Trying out a new 32gb drive to see if it makes any difference.... either way think there are some bugs needed to be worked out.