Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V9 Energy Consumption: Spikes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

R1Fast

P3D Blue/White
Sep 11, 2018
Seattle
Finally got v9 this weekend. I have noticed energy usage spikes (wh/m) above 900 occasionally.

The first time it happened we were heading uphill over a 2-3 mile pass during a road trip. I figured it must have just been a BIG hill, but later that day I noticed it twice while the car was either idle or light cruising (20-25mph local roads).

It just did it again this morning on a very flat stretch of road.

Is this anything to be worried about or does every car do this? If the latter, what is the root cause? Is it possibly when the main battery is re-charging the 12v? Using the AC/heater, etc?

900 spike.png

Wild. That much to go uphill!

In future software update, it would be nice to log location, energy usage and/or speed, and individual trips. And then in the app you can see your trip along with baseline energy usage and drivetrain energy usage so you can say, that was a high spike from the hill followed by negative spike from regen, etc.

I noticed that on my car, if I change the time scale (5 miles, 15 miles, or 30 miles), the energy spikes change height, but the scale on the vertical axis (energy) doesn't. I don't trust the absolute numbers at all... It is a nice tool, but don't read too much into it.

I noticed that as well as the difference between 'instant' and 'average' range really only being the projected mileage.

Anyway it seems these spikes happen pretty regularly, not just on hills. The strange thing is I can reproduce them easily by simply using a lot of juice (heater on, stereo up loud, etc. simultaneously) but sometimes even with no accessories on and no strain on the motors (hills/accel) it just spikes to 900 for no clear reason. Even after extensive warmup.

I have a SC appt on the 30th and will ask them for more info, but curious what others' thoughts are as well.

I noticed that as well as the difference between 'instant' and 'average' range really only being the projected mileage.

Anyway it seems these spikes happen pretty regularly, not just on hills. The strange thing is I can reproduce them easily by simply using a lot of juice (heater on, stereo up lmoud, etc. simultaneously) but sometimes even with no accessories on and no strain on the motors (hills/accel) it just spikes to 900 for no clear reason. Even after extensive warmup.

I have a SC appt on the 30th and will ask them for more info, but curious what others' thoughts are as well.
mine doesn't do this, FWIW

LR RWD

Finally got v9 this weekend. I have noticed energy usage spikes (wh/m) above 900 occasionally.

The first time it happened we were heading uphill over a 2-3 mile pass during a road trip. I figured it must have just been a BIG hill, but later that day I noticed it twice while the car was either idle or light cruising (20-25mph local roads).

It just did it again this morning on a very flat stretch of road.

Is this anything to be worried about or does every car do this? If the latter, what is the root cause? Is it possibly when the main battery is re-charging the 12v? Using the AC/heater, etc?

View attachment 346157

Keep in mind that it's energy consumption over distance. Running the heater in very slow traffic can create large spikes. Driving up steep hills can also create large spikes. I haven't noticed anything overtly abnormal in our 7,000 miles of driving our dual motor car, but I also don't keep my eyes glued to the energy screen (I really only use it to gauge consumption on long trips).

Reactions: ulrichw