Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

v9 finally going international? ... 2018.40 spotted in Japan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We got 43.2 today on our MS. Note that this is a vintage car: no cameras, no traffic aware cruise control etc. So just the new user interface.

Earlier this week the service center intalled the map update. Unfortunately the new maps are no longer working, so I will have to check with service next week.

Could it be because of the dashcam feature?

I don't know if dashcams are forbidden in any other countries beside Switzerland, but my guess is that the ASTRA could force tesla to remove/lock that feature on the firmware level in Switzerland (instead of trusting the user of simply "not using it"). If that's the case, I'm worried the wait for v9 could be pretty long.. And the fact that some of us have pre-AP/AP1/AP2 cars without the dashcam feature anyway doesn't really make the wait any easier ;)

I don't know if dashcams are forbidden in any other countries beside Switzerland, but my guess is that the ASTRA could force tesla to remove/lock that feature on the firmware level in Switzerland (instead of trusting the user of simply "not using it"). If that's the case, I'm worried the wait for v9 could be pretty long.. And the fact that some of us have pre-AP/AP1/AP2 cars without the dashcam feature anyway doesn't really make the wait any easier ;)

Dashcam won't work unless you do a set of very specific actions. So not sure why that would stop anything. :)

Dashcams are not forbidden in Switzerland. There are two things that must be considered:
1. Your view through the windshield mustn't be obstructed by anything (that goes also for pocket navs, cell phone mounts, etc)
2. There's an objection because of privacy laws (constant observation of public space).

Nevertheless it could be because of this objection. In Austria the case seems to be similar.

I had a visit from a Tesla Ranger this morning.
He pushed the new maps to my car (I have non WiFi to connect to, so this was the only way to get them) and updated default LTE operator from Swisscom to Sunrise.
He told me that only my car + other 3 in Switzerland have V9 and that when he has to update software following a repair he is forced to install V8 (even if he has V9 available). The order to keep Swiss cars on V8 came directly from Tesla's Netherlander European office.
He did not tell me why (he genuinely seemed to not know the reason)!

In any case, it was my first experience with a ranger and it was very positive!

BTW, regarding dashcam, he told me that AP2.0/MCU1 can not have it, because "model of video chip and model of camera are not able to handle it". He openly suggested to install a third party camera, possibly the one which integrates into the rear mirror plastic support, so that "nothing obstructs your view".

I had a visit from a Tesla Ranger this morning.
He pushed the new maps to my car (I have non WiFi to connect to, so this was the only way to get them) and updated default LTE operator from Swisscom to Sunrise.
He told me that only my car + other 3 in Switzerland have V9 and that when he has to update software following a repair he is forced to install V8 (even if he has V9 available). The order to keep Swiss cars on V8 came directly from Tesla's Netherlander European office.
He did not tell me why (he genuinely seemed to not know the reason)!

In any case, it was my first experience with a ranger and it was very positive!

BTW, regarding dashcam, he told me that AP2.0/MCU1 can not have it, because "model of video chip and model of camera are not able to handle it". He openly suggested to install a third party camera, possibly the one which integrates into the rear mirror plastic support, so that "nothing obstructs your view".
And what was the reason to change the LTE operator? I was sure that only Swisscom we can use in Swiss.
And one more question: how to check the version of maps is it new or old? Ive never received message that its updated but my both cars are on wifi constantly.

how to check the version of maps is it new or old? Ive never received message that its updated but my both cars are on wifi constantly.

The new maps, when not in satellite-view mode, display lakes as grey not blue as in previous versions.

Dashcams are not illegal in Switzerland despite reservations having been expressed by data protection authorities apparently labouring under the very stretched assumption that they are some sort of devilish mass surveillance system which will automatically vitiate the privacy rights of all road users who pass before their lenses.

This recent article however illustrates that police and prosecutors are actively arguing for available dashcam clips to be accepted as evidence in criminal prosecutions for dangerous driving, etc.:
Fatale Aufschneidervideos: Wie die Gier nach Ruhm jungen Rasern zum Verhängnis wird | NZZ

It appears that the decision rests with the Judge in each individual case, and, at least according to the comment of one Frenk under that article, such evidence (from his own dashcam) has been accepted and successfully used.

Also, whoever misuses a dashcam to *in fact* violate privacy or data protection rights can presumably be sued by the injured party or prosecuted in the usual way. So really this Tesla software feature should not be withheld on this basis in Switzerland, unless it is intended to generally criminalise the use, import or possession of such devices in the country, as with radar detectors, and there is AFAIK no indication of that being likely.

Last edited:
And what was the reason to change the LTE operator? I was sure that only Swisscom we can use in Swiss.
And one more question: how to check the version of maps is it new or old? Ive never received message that its updated but my both cars are on wifi constantly.
Also in Siwtzerland and Schlieren Service Center changed also the SIM card to Sunrise a while ago (several month ago during the maintenance) as a general switch from Swisscom (very expensive) to Sunrise (much cheaper).

Super disappointed that V9 is on hold here! My father has a S 100D in France and is already in V9.
Do you think that it is linked to VIN number so I could not get the V9 even in France with wifi?

And what was the reason to change the LTE operator?
Ranger told me that Tesla has changed their LTE contract. At the moment both operators are still active for Tesla (both Swisscom and Sunrise), but that sooner or later the Swisscom contract will come to an end; when it happens the cars still on Swisscom will not have LTE connections till updated to Sunrise. He gave no deadline.

Also in Siwtzerland and Schlieren Service Center changed also the SIM card to Sunrise a while ago (several month ago during the maintenance) as a general switch from Swisscom (very expensive) to Sunrise (much cheaper).

Super disappointed that V9 is on hold here! My father has a S 100D in France and is already in V9.
Do you think that it is linked to VIN number so I could not get the V9 even in France with wifi?

hmmm, nice info actually.... 6 month ago i had to install the wifi in my garage cos LTE disappeared. And now it looks like SC changed the SIM in my car during the annual service. Any methods to check the provider?

re V9 i think they will lunch it soon. i hope so )

Ranger told me that Tesla has changed their LTE contract. At the moment both operators are still active for Tesla (both Swisscom and Sunrise), but that sooner or later the Swisscom contract will come to an end; when it happens the cars still on Swisscom will not have LTE connections till updated to Sunrise. He gave no deadline.
ohh, In my area Swisscom was the only one with good LTE connection, and this is bad news for me.