Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V9 Garage Door Signal Weak

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could this be? MX90D AP1 20k Miles. Never experienced this on any routine basis. Used to be able to open them down drive near street, and always as I swing in to park no problem. Now if the door is closed, I nearly have to touch the door with the front of the car. It might be signal strength, or the software on how you interact with touch screen. Anyone else see this?

Since "upgrading" to V9 on my X, the Homelink app has become extremely unreliable--in fact this morning, after numerous attempts I had to get out of the car and use the wall-mounted push-button in order to open the garage door; after backing out the car, same story: had to walk back inside garage and use wall button to close the door, then exit via the walk-thru door. No fun in the rain. What's more, after driving a while I noticed the touch-screen indicated no LTE connection! Now, several hours later, LTE is still "Xed" out, although I was able to connect to Wi-Fi from my iPhone
Zh6CQba7RlW9R1gaqpkARQ.jpg
. Tried pushing both thumbwheels for a system reboot, but no improvement.

Since "upgrading" to V9 on my X, the Homelink app has become extremely unreliable--in fact this morning, after numerous attempts I had to get out of the car and use the wall-mounted push-button in order to open the garage door; after backing out the car, same story: had to walk back inside garage and use wall button to close the door, then exit via the walk-thru door. No fun in the rain. What's more, after driving a while I noticed the touch-screen indicated no LTE connection! Now, several hours later, LTE is still "Xed" out, although I was able to connect to Wi-Fi from my iPhoneView attachment 344492 . Tried pushing both thumbwheels for a system reboot, but no improvement.

My homelink stopped working two weeks ago, after last update. Update V9 did not fix it. I also lost all regen.. like All regen!! LTE known issue and trying to unravel that. They say att had a fire somewhere? My iPhone is on att. I still have service?

what about the little wire that hangs down from your garage door opener? has that been shifted or moved recently? maybe try adjusting that?
Nope the wire is same as it always has been. I have not noticed any LTE problems, and that would not effect the Homelink anyways.

I do have one suspicion I need to check out which is not related to the Tesla. I have a SolarEdge solar panel inverter in my garage. Its is possible it puts out just enough chopping noise hash to mess up 400mhz door openers. So at night there would be NO impact, during the day might depending on the sun and generation levels.

Since "upgrading" to V9 on my X, the Homelink app has become extremely unreliable--in fact this morning, after numerous attempts I had to get out of the car and use the wall-mounted push-button in order to open the garage door; after backing out the car, same story: had to walk back inside garage and use wall button to close the door, then exit via the walk-thru door. No fun in the rain. What's more, after driving a while I noticed the touch-screen indicated no LTE connection! Now, several hours later, LTE is still "Xed" out, although I was able to connect to Wi-Fi from my iPhoneView attachment 344492 . Tried pushing both thumbwheels for a system reboot, but no improvement.

My homelink stopped working two weeks ago, after last update. Update V9 did not fix it. I also lost all regen.. like All regen!! LTE known issue and trying to unravel that. They say att had a fire somewhere? My iPhone is on att. I still have service?

My iPhone is also ATT, and is working perfectly with no service interruption.

LTE has nothing to do with HomeLink.

Those with LTE issues, check out this thread:
10/16/18 Is LTE out?

Multiple issues across the country. Same results where car has issue but cell phones dont.

Just curious — you may want to change the "auto open" distance to a greater distance than what you have now. That just might do the trick. (even if you don't want auto-open, just enable it, change the distance, and then disable it).

If you install LED lights near the garage doors or on the opener itself, it will dramatically interfere with the garage door opener signal / range.

This applies to most LED light brands. There are a few brands that are shielded and do not interfere with the transmission.

If you install LED lights near the garage doors or on the opener itself, it will dramatically interfere with the garage door opener signal / range.

This applies to most LED light brands. There are a few brands that are shielded and do not interfere with the transmission.

I've had LED lights in my opener for almost 5 years now and have never had any issues whatsoever with signal range/operation from my Tesla(s) or factory provided openers. Not sure what's different about my setup because I've seen this claim before multiple times.

Jeff

The lights on the opener itself may not be a factor. Specifically, as you approach the garage from the street with a car, the lights are off - so the LED light will not make a difference in activating the opener. However, once the lights are on, then it could be a factor (e.g., you just backed out of garage, closed it, then changed your mind and tried to open the door again).

In my case, we have eave lights on the outside of the garage which are continuously on during the evening. Those LED lights are not shielded and do interfere with opener transmission.

Nope the wire is same as it always has been. I have not noticed any LTE problems, and that would not effect the Homelink anyways.

I do have one suspicion I need to check out which is not related to the Tesla. I have a SolarEdge solar panel inverter in my garage. Its is possible it puts out just enough chopping noise hash to mess up 400mhz door openers. So at night there would be NO impact, during the day might depending on the sun and generation levels.

FYI, the inverter is not related to the problem, plus it seemed to clear up and be back to normal.. who knows

Glad it’s working for you now - but I do think something changed. I have to be much closer to my garage before it begins the cycle to open. I have it set for the maximum range. I used to be able to have the door opening just before my car pulled into the driveway - now I am almost at the door before the opening begins. Not a big deal - but something is different.