Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

v9 Heated Steering Wheel WITHOUT turning A/C on!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

d.c.palmer

10 years of EV driving
Feb 17, 2017
Oxford, England
Has anyone found a way to turn on the heated steering wheel - or the heated rear seats, or the heated wiper nozzles for that matter - without having to also urn on the HVAC system?!!

There always used to be a dedicated "cold weather" tab which allowed direct access to ALL the heated seats, the heated steering wheel etc. - independently of air conditioning.

Please excuse me if I'm wrong, but it appears, that in this v9 design, one can only access the "cold weather" settings via the central "fan" button - which turns air conditioning on whether you like it or not.

Sure, I can see the logic in having all temperature settings in one place - but it's really annoying to have to turn A/C on and then off to adjust one seat temperature! Not living in California, I do need to use heated seats and wheel quite a bit right now (it also lets me drive more efficiently, since A/C and heating uses huge amounts of energy). I like to drive in silence, with a nice warm butt and warm fingers. I'd also like to be able to adjust the temperature of the rear seats without having to:-

(a) Turn on A/C
(b) Click a tab to switch to the "cold weather" panel
(c) Adjust the rear seat temperature
(d) switch back to the A/C panel
(e) turn Off air conditioning

Under v8 I could simply leave the "Code Weather" tab open and make these adjustments with ease.

If someone can find a way to make these adjustments without having to turn A/C and then off again, that would be great. If not, it would be nice if Tesla could make a direct shortcut to the Cold Weather tab - perhaps clicking-and-holding one of the two (front)heated seat icons?

<begin_rant>

And while we're at it: please Tesla, get a decent graphic designer to make those bottom-of-the-screen icons bigger, more elegant and more intelligible - and what's with the Dyson Hairdryer icon? Oh, you're telling me it's a telephone?!

<end_rant>

Cheers, guys!

Nope. Gone. Also can’t independentlu select which portions of the HVAC are auto or manual. The entire system is either full auto or full manual. Example: I can no longer select which vent I want air to come out of while the HVAC still automatically controls fan speed and temperature. My 2013 Volt can do this but now my Tesla cannot.

Reactions: BLKTSLA
Nope. Gone. Also can’t independentlu select which portions of the HVAC are auto or manual. The entire system is either full auto or full manual. Example: I can no longer select which vent I want air to come out of while the HVAC still automatically controls fan speed and temperature. My 2013 Volt can do this but now my Tesla cannot.

This is also one of my biggest gripes with v9. If anything they should have left the climate as it was and just added more options to the left and right of the main pop-up, there is plenty of space for additional options. I shouldn't have to turn my climate on to turn on heated seats or wheel, nor should I be restricted to Auto or Manual only.

Reactions: d.c.palmer
I agree as well. I sent Tesla an email about my disappointment with V9 via the My Account page on tesla.com, then Manage, then in the Support section, "Escalate this concern for executive review."

I got a stock reply after about 48h thanking me for the suggestions and it will be forwarded to the appropriate department.

I've long wanted an icon at the bottom of the main screen to turn heated steering wheel on and off. This could be placed above or below the driver seat heat icon. It would be quick and easy to turn it on or off without having to go through menus.
Agree. Volvo for example, when you press the seat icon a pop-up window appears and you can select the heated steering wheel as you can see in the picture. I hope Tesla updates their UI one day to include something similar because the way it is now is a bit retarded.

Attachments

• 7ED9993B-40C5-4980-BE37-D4F217CD635E.jpeg
    7ED9993B-40C5-4980-BE37-D4F217CD635E.jpeg
    316.9 KB · Views: 100
I found if you turn off HVAC after turning on heated seats or steering wheel, they stay on. Just a workaround.

Thanks for this - unfortunately, it didn't quite work for me. The car claimed that the heated wheel was on, but despite pre-heating the car, the steering wheel was stone cold when I got inside (the heated seat was on though). It was only after driving for a few minutes that the wheel started getting warm. Is this a design change? I seem to recall that under v8 I could preheat the car and be greeted by a nice warm steering wheel.

Perhaps change the topic title to "v9: No way to turn on Heated Steering Wheel WITHOUT turning A/C on!"

(for a moment I thought this topic was that you found a way to do this, rather than just another report of this design bug in v9)