Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[V9] How to Format USB into 2 Partitions for DashCam and Music [Windows]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@SomeJoe7777

Ok so you had me up to step #9, but I am using a 32gb drive and when the two partitions were created only the TESLACAM one had a drive letter. Did I need to change the numbers used or something?

The command "create partition primary align=1024" did not work.

Tried to format/assign drive letter on second partition via disk management format tool with no success. Please Help! :confused:

What error message did you get when you tried the "create partition primary align=1024" command?

Windows 7 doesn’t recognize 2 drive letters for multi-partitioned usb drives. I think that didn’t become available until windows 10. I tried doing this on a windows 7 computer and it errors trying to create a second primary partition. I even tried using a third party app. It’s a no go unless you’re on windows 10 (no go for me anyway)

• Informative
Reactions: ohaq and chinnam3
Windows 7 doesn’t recognize 2 drive letters for multi-partitioned usb drives. I think that didn’t become available until windows 10. I tried doing this on a windows 7 computer and it errors trying to create a second primary partition. I even tried using a third party app. It’s a no go unless you’re on windows 10 (no go for me anyway)

Thanks for the update. I wonder if anyone has tried Windows 8 or 8.1?

Great writeup. It reminds me again how simple Apple makes things. :D
No kidding.

I still see the Mac Vs Windows wars raging on the internet and the usual charge that Mac users are dumb toaster users. Joe reminded me that the overwhelming majority of Windows users are frustrated toaster users until an expert happens along to hold their hands while crossing the street.

What error message did you get when you tried the "create partition primary align=1024" command?

I don't remember exactly but I am on Win7. :cool: Maybe I can just start all over and just make it all one big partition?

That is what I have read...though this process was getting around that some way. :confused:

I don't remember exactly but I am on Win7. :cool: Maybe I can just start all over and just make it all one big partition?

That is what I have read...though this process was getting around that some way. :confused:

Yes, you can make it one partition, although I would try a small partition -- use size=16384 or size=32768. We don't know what bugs are in the Tesla's FAT32 file system driver, so a smaller partition might work-around any potential issues. For this first version of the dashcam functionality, we don't need a super large partition anyway.

The other method would be to try and partition and format it using a GParted live CD. That's about the only tool that I might trust to format it correctly.

• Helpful
Reactions: NJturtlePower
I know, right? Isn't it ironic that the Mac manages Microsoft's legacy file system better than Microsoft...?
MS has deprecated that software in favor of ntfs. That is the MS way: Their newer stuff is "better" (and you should upgrade) because the old stuff does not work very well anymore ... A person living in the MS universe understands relativity.

Reactions: Silicon Desert
As others say, that is a great piece of work. I did almost the same thing, however I did not find the need for a 3rd party formatter. I was able to do everything by using the Windows 10 Disk Management program and used it to create the Fat32 partitions. So far after a week, it works fine. Again, nice job and clearly you took lots of time to do this.

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark
MS has deprecated that software in favor of ntfs. That is the MS way: Their newer stuff is "better" (and you should upgrade) because the old stuff does not work very well anymore ... A person living in the MS universe understands relativity.
Almost. It was deprecated in favor of exfat. The reasons behind this are somewhat technical, but essentially FAT (including exFAT) are for removable devices and NTFS is for fixed storage. Obviously you can use NTFS with removable and you can use FAT for fixed storage.

From a non-user perspective I like FAT because you can trivially parse the file system by hand. Even decoding the timestamps isn't that bad. NTFS... well, its an over designed object oriented file system that you need tools to do much with. But it is really cool and does things you cannot do with a FAT file system.