Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[V9] How to Format USB into 2 Partitions for DashCam and Music [Windows]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Awesome guide, worked perfectly. Unfortunately all of my music is in the iTunes format which doesn’t seem to work with Tesla, presumably because it’s restricted. Oh well. If I can find my old CDs I might rip them to mp3s and see if that works, but for now streaming off my phone is fine.

Awesome guide, worked perfectly. Unfortunately all of my music is in the iTunes format which doesn’t seem to work with Tesla, presumably because it’s restricted. Oh well. If I can find my old CDs I might rip them to mp3s and see if that works, but for now streaming off my phone is fine.

Yep, protected iTunes files will not work. There are ways to convert them to a non-protected format and they should work then.

Reformat the USB drive (just deleting the files apparently does not work). It will preserve the partitions but you will need to recreate the TeslaCam folder. I've heard that pressing and holding the camera icon to turn it off before locking the car allows the drive to disconnect, and avoids corrupting the files but I haven't lost my red dot yet after a reformat.
Formatted the drive and it stopped working again last night so I formatted it again....

Yes, that is the work around to mark drives as local drive, not removable Drive (Rmb bit change). By default/Natively Windows 7 does not allow/access any removable drives to have more than 1 partition.

Since I have window 10 handy, did not bother with workaround. But again there is no guarantee that RMB bit change will work with all drives.

Nevertheless, for folks who do not have access to Window 10 OS, it is worth a try using utility.

There are instructions in there to install an alternative USB Flash driver for Windows 7 users, too.

I finally got my USB drive to work and not corrupt:
  1. Get a 32gig USB drive (Has to be USB 3.0)
  2. Format drive (Fat 32)
  3. Partition the drive in 2, 16 gigs each (MUSIC / DASHCAM)
  4. Inside the DASHCAM partition, create a folder (TeslaCam)
This worked for me, and it has not crashed yet. I tried this same method with all kinds of USB drives, but the only thing that worked was a USB 3.0 drive.

• Informative
Reactions: LargeHamCollider
I finally got my USB drive to work and not corrupt:
  1. Get a 32gig USB drive (Has to be USB 3.0)
  2. Format drive (Fat 32)
  3. Partition the drive in 2, 16 gigs each (MUSIC / DASHCAM)
  4. Inside the DASHCAM partition, create a folder (TeslaCam)
This worked for me, and it has not crashed yet. I tried this same method with all kinds of USB drives, but the only thing that worked was a USB 3.0 drive.
I had a similar problem, but once I made both partitions GPT instead of MBR all the problems went away. It's been working flawlessly for over a week now.

I’m using a different ixpand flash drive and have formatted it on my Mac, but the M3 will not see it, I also have the San Disk wirelss connect flash drive and that works perfectly, I don’t understand why the ixpand doesn’t work they are formatted the same and the folders were created as directed

Attachments

• A848C4B6-F149-49F7-BB0B-ABE2A0BB0C24.png
    A848C4B6-F149-49F7-BB0B-ABE2A0BB0C24.png
    563.2 KB · Views: 100
  • 80CA8420-BEE6-40A1-97CF-9D64F1ED392F.jpeg
    80CA8420-BEE6-40A1-97CF-9D64F1ED392F.jpeg
    324.9 KB · Views: 67
I’m using a different ixpand flash drive and have formatted it on my Mac, but the M3 will not see it, I also have the San Disk wirelss connect flash drive and that works perfectly, I don’t understand why the ixpand doesn’t work they are formatted the same and the folders were created as directed
I have both of these San Disk flash drives, as I wanted a way to easily view the video quickly if necessary, I can report that the wireless model records without issues and then you can eject the drive and unplug it from the USB port and then connect to it wirelessly and choose the video and transfer to your phone with the San Disk app, the ixpand doesn’t work, will not show up when plugged into the car.

The Lexar also won’t show up in the car and is also formatted as FAT32 with the TelaCam folder

Attachments

• A77FEA7F-0469-417E-A040-19CFB1A3C2AB.jpeg
    A77FEA7F-0469-417E-A040-19CFB1A3C2AB.jpeg
    174.4 KB · Views: 63
  • 78E48974-44E7-44D7-B726-A7F91CC87538.jpeg
    78E48974-44E7-44D7-B726-A7F91CC87538.jpeg
    324.9 KB · Views: 71
  • 1C7BA26E-93ED-4503-8932-46D22912D132.jpeg
    1C7BA26E-93ED-4503-8932-46D22912D132.jpeg
    265.6 KB · Views: 54
  • BCFAC0EF-5876-4BF1-A342-B432DB824F4C.png
    BCFAC0EF-5876-4BF1-A342-B432DB824F4C.png
    563.2 KB · Views: 55
It will be great if San Disk develops their wireless product for TeslaCam storage so you didn’t have to unplug the drive first to get it out of USB MODE, or better yet Tesla could make it so we could just view the recorded files on our vehicles display screens directly.

It will be great if San Disk develops their wireless product for TeslaCam storage so you didn’t have to unplug the drive first to get it out of USB MODE, or better yet Tesla could make it so we could just view the recorded files on our vehicles display screens directly.

Seems like sending the saved videos (generated by tapping the icon) to our Tesla account wirelessly would be a perfect feature for the premium connectivity they're charging for these days.

Thanks for the write up. It worked perfectly for me with a cheapie 256Gb Sandisk Cruzer Glide USB 3.0 available at Costco for $40. The only issue I had was trying to increase the size of the TeslaCam partition to 32GB (to provide for future enhancements so I don't have to reformat and copy back all my music). The 32GB partition wasn't recognized correctly in Win 10 (used
"create partition primary size=32768 align=1024"). Not wanting to mess with it anymore I wiped it and set it up following the instructions exactly. Works great for both the dashcam and music.

Don't know if this is mentioned anywhere but the Model 3 supports high resolution audio files to 24/192 in Flac and wav formats (in addition to MP3's). Didn't test any other formats (ALAC, APE, etc.). DSF files aren't supported though. Sounds so much better than music from the phone via BT.

Thanks @SomeJoe7777

Reactions: SomeJoe7777
These instructions don't work as described in my Win7 PC. I cannot delete the partitions from the Storage Manager (grayed out), and once I delete them within DISKPART it will let me create 1 partition, but not a 2nd one.

When I try to create the 2nd partition, I get this error:
CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY ALIGN=1024
Virtual Disk Service Error:
The operation is not supported in a non-empty removable disk.

These instructions don't work as described in my Win7 PC. I cannot delete the partitions from the Storage Manager (grayed out), and once I delete them within DISKPART it will let me create 1 partition, but not a 2nd one.

When I try to create the 2nd partition, I get this error:
CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY ALIGN=1024
Virtual Disk Service Error:
The operation is not supported in a non-empty removable disk.

When you created the first partition did you specify the size of the partition? If not then it will use all of the available space on the drive leaving no free space left for additional partitions. Add the “size=XXXX” parameter to the create partition command where XXXX is how large you want to create the partition in MBs.