Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

v9, how to move camera to the upper part of the screen for safety

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

whitex

Sep 30, 2015
Seattle area, WA
When driving, I like to use it as an additional "mirror" and to check blind spots and any fast coming traffic (since neither of our Teslas has reliable blind spot monitoring, or cross traffic warnings). Looking down takes more attention off the road, so I want to move it up back where it was on 8.1 for safety reasons. Even when backup up, I monitor mirrors and the front of the car through the windshield, so it would seem safer keep the rear-view camera at the top of screen than to have to look down. Anyone figured out how to do that yet?

not a full fix but from Version 9 on AP1 you have to close the camera view before putting it in reverse to get it to show on top while in reverse.

If the camera was closed beforehand you get the larger screen. If the camera was already opened while driving it remains in its position at the bottom.

reverse-v9-png.341419

• Informative
Reactions: whitex
Or an SDK to write 3rd party apps which Elon promised 6 years ago, you could pay some developer who wants to produce an app which will have the camera wherever you want it.

It's written in QT / C++ so just giving access would mean to actually make a proper API that sandboxes the processes. I suspect they have none and their "apps" are 100% native. Just a guess though. Huge undertaking in the security sense to make a safe SDK for 3rd party apps.

I agree with "eye.surgeon". I always kept the rear-view camera on the top so I can just glance over to double check my blind spots. Now with the camera view stuck at the bottom, you have to move your head. It's less safe since you need to move your head away from looking straight forward.

You can do "bug reports" in your car by pressing the voice command button and start your sentance with "note". I've said "Note: can't move camera view to top of screen". Hopefully they'll get the message.

It is not possible.

I figured out a way to get the camera view to the top of the screen while driving in v9: Triple App Screen on v9!

The two big caveats are that it is a royal pain and you need a finger (or a finger substitute) contacting the touchscreen once you get the camera window to the top of the screen or it snaps back to the bottom of the screen. But at least it is possible and hopefully Tesla can allow this in future updates since it is likely a very easy change to implement.

Have there been any developments on being able to keep the backup camera at the top of the screen at all times?

I'm on 2018.36.2 and resisted updating. I just got a prompt for a software update after months of not having one.

Relying on backup camera with its short focal length lens seems unsafe. By the time you can see following traffic in the screen it is much too late to do anything about it, IMHO. The rear view mirrors provide two actually useful choices of focal length which would be perfect for a 3rd-party split-screen accessory cam.
--

I agree with "eye.surgeon". I always kept the rear-view camera on the top so I can just glance over to double check my blind spots. Now with the camera view stuck at the bottom, you have to move your head. It's less safe since you need to move your head away from looking straight forward.

You can do "bug reports" in your car by pressing the voice command button and start your sentance with "note". I've said "Note: can't move camera view to top of screen". Hopefully they'll get the message.

Bug reports stay stored on your car until you go into service, then the service person sees them.

Are you talking about having the media player up halfway and then activating the backup cam? This will allow it to be almost at the very top of the screen at all times.

I'm not sure. I've never fiddled with v9. I'm still on v8.
I've become very attached to having the backup camera at the top for helping with blindspots and if possible not having the map on top all the time. I've got a old car without the navigation or autopilot so the map on top all the time doesn't add much value to me. I use the Waze map via the browser more often.

Is there a picture somewhere of what this v9 backup camera on top looks like?