Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V9 Maps UI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

halfricanguy

Model 3 - LR RWD - MSM
Apr 18, 2018
NC, USA
Can someone with V9 confirm that the placement of the directions list and buttons cannot be swapped back to where they are in previous versions (there’s no user configurable setting within the Maps app?)

It looks like the list of directions are now on the left side and the orientation/zoom in/zoom out/maps settings are on the right. From a visual standpoint, I think it looks worse as it doesn’t feel “balanced”, and the left of the screen is really busy. From a usability stand point, the actual buttons are as far away as possible, making it dangerous to interact with while driving.

having used it for a couple of days I'm already used to it.
It was odd having to find things, but now its already the new normal.
I though the Nav settings had been buried in the car menu, but they show up as part of the directions screen so actually more useful and in context.

Reactions: halfricanguy
Yes, that
Can someone with V9 confirm that the placement of the directions list and buttons cannot be swapped back to where they are in previous versions (there’s no user configurable setting within the Maps app?)

It looks like the list of directions are now on the left side and the orientation/zoom in/zoom out/maps settings are on the right. From a visual standpoint, I think it looks worse as it doesn’t feel “balanced”, and the left of the screen is really busy. From a usability stand point, the actual buttons are as far away as possible, making it dangerous to interact with while driving.

Yes, this is correct. However, you can click on the directions to toggle between full direction and overview map or compact directions and tracking map. You rarely need to change other settings while driving.

I'll agree with you, I believe from a usability viewpoint, the right is better. On the right it is quick and easy to find, on the left, your eye has to work through the other portions of the screen. I also feel as if the map position is not as optimal, but is probably me. I also feel as if the title bar items are much easier to reach on the left than where they are on the right now, specifically the HomeLink option.

Reactions: halfricanguy