Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V9 Music App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not really liking the changes to the Music App in V9... The minimal view is fine, and the full screen is fine, but the in-between view is really bad. It now takes up half of the screen, when before it was more like 1/3. They moved the Radio/Slacker/TuneIn selector from being a drop-down menu from an icon in the control bar to being always available at the bottom. That eats up a bunch of space, and honestly is not that useful. Similarly, the "Recent" | "Favorites" title bars take up a lot of real-estate without adding any usefulness. They could have made the words be vertical or something. And the Radio/Streaming selector was replaced with the equalizer settings, which I almost never need to adjust once I've adjusted them!

It makes driving using nav much worse when I want to be able to easily switch between music choices, because now the view takes up too much space.

Anyone else feel this way?

I just got the v9 update and I agree that so far my initial impression if the media interface is a step back. I have lots of artists and albums loaded in USB, and the old grid arrangement made browsing USB music pretty straightforward, and it was nice seeing album art before selecting any albums. This strictly vertical arrangement of the names is definitely slower to find what I want to play. It would be great if Tesla provided GUI options to suit preferences.

I agree re: USB music. The old album view showed a grid with all the album cover art; now there is a listing of the album names. I liked the old view much better - it looked cooler and on the practical side, albums were more visible and thus, easier to choose and the target for my finger was bigger and easier to tap accurately I hope they change it back to the way it was..

I'm in for the agree on the mid sized player as well, my wife likes to be able to just hit the button for the channel as we are driving and it now takes up half the screen... either fix that or give the option from the minimal screen for the passenger to be able to scroll through the favourites. Right now if you hit the next button it just goes to the next available channel.

I definitely agree that the mid-size player is now annoyingly large. Prior to the update I would use that size exclusively in order to select favorite stations, since one you go to a streaming station you can no longer press left or right on the scroll wheel to switch between favorites (or so I thought). A couple things have mitigated this for my use cases:
  1. I learned you can hold left or right on the scroll wheel to switch between favorites, even if you’re on a streaming station.
  2. You can swipe up or down on the music icon to quickly resize the music sheet, which I find to be much easier for some reason than trying to drag the horizontal line on top of the sheet.
I would still prefer the smaller mid-size but using the two tricks above have made the change much less annoying to me.