Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V9 - need two USB drives for MP3 play & Cam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Needs to be FLAC (lossless) or MP3. The Model S used to support m4a, but that stopped working last summer for some reason.

There's a Mac utility, TeslaTunes, that helps but it was written for the S when m4a was still supported so it copies over m4a as is. There is a test build (see post on May 3rd by tattwamasi) that will convert m4a to FLAC, it works OK for the full library/folder of music, but doesn't work correctly if you convert a playlist (it deletes most of the FLAC files at the end of the process !?!?!?) Read further down that test build link to see details about that problem. Tattwamasi has replied, so I'm hopeful he'll be able to fix the playlist bug as my library's too large to convert the entire thing to FLAC.
Is playing mp3 from usb drive noticeabley better than streaming via Bluetooth on your phone?

I was able to use Disk Utility to create 2 partitions, one MUSIC, one TESLACAM (still have to create TeslaCam folder).

It was a bit trial and error on my part, have erase the Flash drive, choose APFS, and guid partition map, then create partitions, set the sizes, choose FAT32 for each one.

Mac mounted both volumes no problem, not sure how Windows treats Flash drives with more than one partition.

Tesla saw the usb music and dashcam icon was there.

Posted this earlier today in another thread, thought it might be a slightly less invasive solution.
I am using the EVAnnex charging pad, so you results may vary...
Dual Qi Wireless Phone Charger for Tesla Model 3
Just received this Handy Hub from Amazon ~$10 it works! Very compact! Both charging pads simultaneously charging (tested with 2 iphoneXs) and flash drive works as DashCam. Haven’t tested the 3rd port for music.
Onvian 3 Port USB Hub High Speed Splitter Plug and Play Bus Powered-Upgrade Version https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071JTSMVQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_LvNWBbQ94TWHG
C666A328-6D8C-4FF8-B58F-2C75CEAB037D.jpeg

9E00D8C7-9EB7-452A-ADA7-DB7837B86E4B.jpeg

8BB0B94C-CF0A-4476-B3A3-5907850FD7CB.jpeg

Well.. tried various ways to format my 64GB usb drive to Fat 32... nothing worked.

Now my usb drive is "write protected" and no computer recognizes it and refuses to even formet to exFAT... so.. this just ruined my drive... great...

Assuming you have Windows, Hit the Win + R key and type in diskmgmt.msc and press enter. Find your USB drive and delete the partition. Create a new one and format it. Make sure it gets a drive letter. If not, give it one using that tool. Be careful not to touch any other drive in your system.

Posted this earlier today in another thread, thought it might be a slightly less invasive solution.
I am using the EVAnnex charging pad, so you results may vary...
Dual Qi Wireless Phone Charger for Tesla Model 3
Just received this Handy Hub from Amazon ~$10 it works! Very compact! Both charging pads simultaneously charging (tested with 2 iphoneXs) and flash drive works as DashCam. Haven’t tested the 3rd port for music.
Onvian 3 Port USB Hub High Speed Splitter Plug and Play Bus Powered-Upgrade Version https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071JTSMVQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_LvNWBbQ94TWHG
View attachment 343668
View attachment 343666
View attachment 343667
I'd be interested to know if music works off the third port?

I'd be interested to know if music works off the third port?
Hmm... tested the 3rd port. (USB music) It works. However, although the dashcam icon seemed to work & respond as expected (saving, stopping...) recording is sparatic.
Not sure if it is related to the hub or perhaps this...
V9 39.7 - Dashcam not working
I will need to try removing hub & retesting the dashcam feature without it.

Hmm... tested the 3rd port. (USB music) It works. However, although the dashcam icon seemed to work & respond as expected (saving, stopping...) recording is sparatic.
Not sure if it is related to the hub or perhaps this...
V9 39.7 - Dashcam not working
I will need to try removing hub & retesting the dashcam feature without it.
I'm wondering if it matters which hub we're using.. was thinking of using this one.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JX1ZS5...olid=25ITDS11UIUCQ&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it