Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V9 - need two USB drives for MP3 play & Cam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, dang. So I'm using my factory data ports, with no splitter. Since right after my V9 download, I plugged in two USB sticks... one in each port. One with music and one for the dashcam. Everything has worked. Until today... no dash cam red dot. Touching the graphic does nothing. Music continues to work. :sigh:

Looking at the files on the drive now. Anybody know what all the *.rec files are at the root level with the TeslaCam folder?

And... does it have to be formatted in FAT32? On my Mac I can apparently only format in FAT.
I just reformatted (again to FAT) and it is again working. No idea why it failed after only writing about 20 one-minute files. There was a file in the folder called "recent" that was unreadable. I assume that was the file that was written when I tapped the icon??

Last edited:
Switched it up to the setup below and now the dashcam seems to work again. (Splitting power of the left port & giving the dashcam flash drive the empty port on the right). Haven’t added music/media back into the mix yet. The weird thing is that the file mod dates of the video files are off (tomorrow morning)
D1C32139-AC30-4097-AA9C-CDBBDFF69177.jpeg

I got V9 this morning and had read that 2 partitions would work, so I did that. It worked initially, with dashcam recording while playing music, but when I got back into the car to meet up with my folks for lunch the music worked, but the dashcam showed an X instead of the red recording dot. Tried numerous things, was unable to get it to work again.
I'm getting the X error too. Did you ever figure out what was causing the issue and how to remedy it?

I'm getting the X error too. Did you ever figure out what was causing the issue and how to remedy it?

I ended up using another USB stick without any music on it.

The dash cam does need some work though - I was trying it out Sunday when an accident occurred in front of me. I tapped the dashcam icon to save the 10 minutes, then stayed and waited for the police to arrive to give my statement. When I got home I held the dashcam icon a few seconds to turn off recording, then waited for the lights on the USB stick to stop flashing before removing the drive. I then found files like this:
Code:
recent-front-2018-10-14_14-25.mp4
recent-front-2018-10-14_14-26.mp4
recent-front-2018-10-14_14-27.mp4
saved-front-2018-10-14_14-51.mp4
saved-front-2018-10-14_14-52.mp4
saved-front-2018-10-14_14-53.mp4

Each recording is for 1 minute and when you tap the icon to save it renames the 10 latest files from recent* to saved*. I tracked down the recordings that corresponded to the accident. At the end of 2:53pm the light has just turned green, and this car is about to ignore the LEFT TURN YIELD ON GREEN sign up there

Screen Shot 2018-10-14 at 3.53.38 PM.png

Beginning of the 2:54pm clip is already after the accident occured, so a few seconds were lost during the transition between the two video files.

Screen Shot 2018-10-14 at 3.52.22 PM.png

Assuming you have Windows, Hit the Win + R key and type in diskmgmt.msc and press enter. Find your USB drive and delete the partition. Create a new one and format it. Make sure it gets a drive letter. If not, give it one using that tool. Be careful not to touch any other drive in your system.

i cant do it...

Disk Management hangs "loading disk configuration information"... forever...

thanks anyways for trying to help me.. but I think the usb drive is now ****ed

The dash cam does need some work though - I was trying it out Sunday when an accident occurred in front of me.

Oh man. Even more bad news for Gen1 of TeslaCam. :-(

You went well beyond the call of duty, and I applaud you! I only ask that you call what happened a crash or a collision... factual observations. When we introduce the word "accident" it becomes subjective and in the realm of an act of god. Somebody hit somebody else. Doesn't matter if they meant to do it, they collided.

Sorry to be so pedantic... but words really are important as they can drag along so much baggage and let those who are careless off the hook.. as in "hey, sorry. It was an accident that I wasn't paying attention."

Partitioned a 32Gb Sandisk usb drive.

Dashcam is 8gb and the music partition is 24gb or so. Dashcam has worked fine the last two days. Music files disappeared this morning after working for the last day and a half.

Only had 4 gb of music on it. Prob have to reformat and copy music back. Really unfortunate.

More bad news on the dashcam - I get this a lot:
IMG_0288.jpg

I've found that removing the USB stick and running First Aid via Disk Utility on my Mac will fix it, but the dashcam will eventually get disabled again.
Code:
Repairing file system.
** /dev/rdisk3s1

** Phase 1 - Preparing FAT

** Phase 2 - Checking Directories

/TeslaCam/recent-front-2018-10-17_19-12.mp4: Cluster chain starting at 17016 is cross-linked at cluster 17536

Truncate? yes

/TeslaCam/recent-front-2018-10-17_19-12.mp4 has too many clusters allocated (logical=15920709, physical=16449536)

Drop superfluous clusters? yes

** Phase 3 - Checking for Orphan Clusters

Free space in FSInfo block (1881938) not correct (1881954)

Fix? yes

220 files, 60222528 KiB free (1881954 clusters)

***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****

File system check exit code is 0.
Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required.
Operation successful.

Also see a bunch of fsck files on the usb stick, so the car appears to be trying to fix the problem, but fails to do so.
Code:
FSCK0000.REC
FSCK0001.REC
FSCK0017.REC

More bad news on the dashcam - I get this a lot:
[
Also see a bunch of fsck files on the usb stick, so the car appears to be trying to fix the problem, but fails to do so.
Code:
FSCK0000.REC
FSCK0001.REC
FSCK0017.REC

Yeah. Bummer. Welcome to the club. Eventually we'll get this sorted. I keep wondering if there's anybody out there who has been recording every day without issue since V9 was uploaded. All we hear about is the issues, of course. If it is working for some folks, what's the difference?

@SomeJoe7777 posted detailed instructions for setting up two partitions to store dashcam video and music on one USB drive. He specifically calls out how to avoid the situation where the dashcam stops working: "This is the critical step that prevents the TESLACAM partition from getting corrupted and causing the dashcam to stop working. It seems that the 3rd-party FAT32 formatting utilities are creating a partition that has some type of minor problem that the Tesla FAT32 filesystem driver has problems with. When Windows is used to format the TESLACAM partition, this does not occur. (See notes below on file corruption, however)."

Check out this thread for the instructions and notes about file corruption (found at the end of the initial post): [V9] How to Format USB into 2 Partitions for DashCam and Music [Windows]

• Informative
Reactions: hoang51
Yeah. Bummer. Welcome to the club. Eventually we'll get this sorted. I keep wondering if there's anybody out there who has been recording every day without issue since V9 was uploaded. All we hear about is the issues, of course. If it is working for some folks, what's the difference?
My dashcam has been recording without issue since I got v9 last week. My big old flash drive (on left) is dedicated to dashcam (no partitions or usb hubs). Granted I never drove the car more than 15min on weekday and none on weekend. I also never removed the stick.

F576E5AF-823C-4F65-84B7-F0390258D570.jpeg

@SomeJoe7777 posted detailed instructions for setting up two partitions to store dashcam video and music on one USB drive. He specifically calls out how to avoid the situation where the dashcam stops working: "This is the critical step that prevents the TESLACAM partition from getting corrupted and causing the dashcam to stop working. It seems that the 3rd-party FAT32 formatting utilities are creating a partition that has some type of minor problem that the Tesla FAT32 filesystem driver has problems with. When Windows is used to format the TESLACAM partition, this does not occur. (See notes below on file corruption, however)."

Check out this thread for the instructions and notes about file corruption (found at the end of the initial post): [V9] How to Format USB into 2 Partitions for DashCam and Music [Windows]
Thanks for the link. However... I'm having the issue with a drive that is formatted FAT 32 (with a Mac), and is not partitioned.

Interesting comment on that thread, "It is easier on a Mac because, unlike Windows, it won't refuse to format a partition larger than 32GB as FAT32. So the only tool you need is the disk utility -- no third party tools and no need to go to terminal."

So... I'm still confused as to how to "fix" this.

Thanks for the link. However... I'm having the issue with a drive that is formatted FAT 32 (with a Mac), and is not partitioned.

Interesting comment on that thread, "It is easier on a Mac because, unlike Windows, it won't refuse to format a partition larger than 32GB as FAT32. So the only tool you need is the disk utility -- no third party tools and no need to go to terminal."

So... I'm still confused as to how to "fix" this.
I just set up the USB drive using Windows 10. I'll let you know if I have issues with corrupted files. I'm not using the drive for music (yet) though. Maybe it is a Mac thing? Need to hear from others who set up the drive in iOS

That doesn't make sense. Of course it's partitioned. All drives that are formatted are partitioned. I suspect people who are having problems may THINK they converted their drive to GPT, but didn't.

Can Macs run GParted? Can Macs boot the GParted Live CD? If so, that would be the best way to go to get the flash drive partitioned correctly.

The only way I can continue to use it without corruption messing it up is to click and hold the camera icon for 2 seconds to pause recording (gray dot shows up on icon) before you leaving the vehicle since it will cut power to the USB drive. When I get back into the car then I have to just press the icon again to resume recording and I get the red dot showing on the icon. If I don't pause the recording before I leave the car the next time I get in it will show the X on the camera icon because the corruption has occurred and a reformat is required to fix it. So it seems to be the power loss after leaving the car that is corrupting the drive.