Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V9 no WiFi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone with no WiFi get V9 update? I currently do not have access to WiFi at home or work where I park. Wondering if anyone got the update through the cellular connection yet.

There's an e-mail that says:

"To receive these updates as quickly as possible, make sure your car is connected to WiFi. "

I read it as if you want to be among the first, connect to wifi.

Historically, everyone gets firmware updates whether you have wifi or not.

I don't see why it's any different now.

There's an e-mail that says:

"To receive these updates as quickly as possible, make sure your car is connected to WiFi. "

I read it as if you want to be among the first, connect to wifi.

Historically, everyone gets firmware updates whether you have wifi or not.

I don't see why it's any different now.

Yes, I received the same email. I understand I am at the bottom of the list. Just wondering if they have started rolling it out via cellular yet.

Sorry. I misunderstood the question.

If you have some time to spare, you can go to a service center and see if you can connect to Tesla wifi.

No problem.;)

Closest service center is about 2 hours away so that won’t work either.

I’ve heard people say go to Starbucks or whatever 100’s of places that have WiFi. This however is pointless because I can’t push the update. I am at the mercy of when Tesla decides to send it out which appears to be most comely around 2 or 3 in morning. I would glad drive to Starbucks if I knew I could initiate the download whenever I want.

V9 requires updated maps. Updated maps only come over WiFi (It's a 5 GB download). So even if they roll out the update over cellular, you still need to find some wifi for a map update.

Yep a few weeks ago, the car told me to connect to WiFi to download the map update. There again I can’t push the update so I can’t even got to a WiFi location and download it at will. My understand is that the map update improves autopilot (I.e. adds HOV lanes, etc.) but by no means is required to run V9.

Reactions: stayfocus18
The latest map update adds HOV lanes ( I think), but if you don't have wifi, you're probably several maps behind. And I believe there is a minimum map version for V9 to install.

btw - map updates seem to be happening regularly. I already had HOV lanes on my car, but I just got another 5.12Gb download on the Tesla when I got home from work.

Turn on wifi hotspot on your phone, you can connect your car to your own wifi hotspot. Then just sit in the car, and hope you'll get in the queue to download V9. I did that on Saturday morning, sat in the car with my wifi hotspot via iphone, and waited. Within 20mins the update downloaded, and installed without an issue.

So yes you don't know when Tesla pushes updates out. But you could occasionally just sit in your car with your wifi hotspot and see if the download starts. You'll know if it does because the usage meter on your phone will show good sizable download stats.

Turn on wifi hotspot on your phone, you can connect your car to your own wifi hotspot. Then just sit in the car, and hope you'll get in the queue to download V9. I did that on Saturday morning, sat in the car with my wifi hotspot via iphone, and waited. Within 20mins the update downloaded, and installed without an issue.

So yes you don't know when Tesla pushes updates out. But you could occasionally just sit in your car with your wifi hotspot and see if the download starts. You'll know if it does because the usage meter on your phone will show good sizable download stats.
That's how I got my V9 download on Saturday. Was out of town, so setup hotspot on my iPad. Within 10 minutes of leaving the car I got the "update ready" alert

Reactions: Tam
Do you have wifi at home but a driveway/parking area not close enough? If so might want to look into a wifi repeater to extend your service out further. With our car pulled close to the garage door we more or less just make it.

If the cellular hotspot doesn't work for you do you have a friend/relative with wifi range you can park at?

Definitely need wifi for this one. See Bold content in this internal email....

Tesla V9 Wi-Fi
No, all that means is at the time that message was sent (which I don’t see indicated) the updates were only going out over WiFi. This has always been true with major version firmware updates, they go out over WiFi before cellular. There is no reason to think this one will be any different. Only map updates have required WiFi, because of their size.

Do you have wifi at home but a driveway/parking area not close enough? If so might want to look into a wifi repeater to extend your service out further. With our car pulled close to the garage door we more or less just make it.

If the cellular hotspot doesn't work for you do you have a friend/relative with wifi range you can park at?

Yeah, I have a detached garage and my wifi will not reach. I am looking into using ethernet over poweline adapter to extend to the garage but have not had a chance to do so yet. I even parked the car next to the room that had the wifi hotspot but still had no luck.

Find a friend that has wifi, go visit him/her and chill and their home. Too bad it doesn't have a cat5 option. lol

I don't want to have to hang out for days though.....Tesla should really give use the ability push updates once they have been rolled out.