TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

v9 Software - missing features

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by balajeek, Oct 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. balajeek

balajeek Member

Was eagerly waiting for this update and finally got it over the weekend, first thing I wanted try is to turn on "Navigate on autopilot" feature, couldn't find it and later with google found that

- "Navigate on autopilot" is pulled from the update (its few weeks on Elon's time god knows how many months for us)
    - The red line indicator for blind spot warning, it never did.
    - Tune-in still unable to login into our own account

I guess I will discover more...
    I regret I paid for FSD and have a feeling it will never make at least for another 5 years.

2. kengchang

kengchang Active Member

Blind spot is there, it doesn't show until you flip on the signal

3. balajeek

balajeek Member

Oh, why can't it show that always, its not intuitive to show the red line only when I engage turn signal, I put turn signal only after when I am ready to make that turn so that means I had already looked in. I don't understand whats the point that it gives red lines.

I drove a Nissan loaner few weeks back which had blind spot light right on the pillar closer to the side mirror and it lights up mild yellow whenever there is obstruction in blind spot, it was really useful. $65k car considered as high tech didn't have such a basic safety feature! what can I say, I still fall in love with this car. If it drives by itself then I wouldn't care but thats not happening anytime.

4. brobinson

brobinson Member

you want to have your display lit up with a red line any time a car is in your blindspot? That would be super annoying on any regular commute.

The display shows cars that are in your blind spot with v9. The red line (and hopefully an audible warning in the future) serves as a backup if you don't see the car on the display.

5. SpudLime

SpudLime Active Member

The simple explanation is that the blind spot detector is for after you have checked mirrors and over your shoulder and then as you turn your signal on and start to move, its an additional tool for after the fact and not as your primary. This is just a guess.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  6. RayW

RayW Joy Riding

#6 RayW, Oct 16, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
    It needs to give an audiable warning. I can already see the avatar in my blind spot, so flashing the line as red doesn't add much.

I expected them to implement blind spot warnings the same as front side collusion warnings -- flash the avatar red and give an audiable alert.

• Like x 2
  7. balajeek

balajeek Member

Friend of mine did a test drive of my M3 on a residential roads and asked 'can I drive pretty closely to the cars parked on the street, would it warn or stop me?" I am like NO, it does'n do that. then he asked "how about forward collision, can I keep going close to the parked car, would it force stop by itself". I am like okay try but careful, and then the car let us go pretty close without stopping. The 5 year old Mercedes old does not let him turn the steering towards when blind spot detected, less reason to make mistake.

I consider audible warning is very annoying, I really like those car that have blind spot light right on the side mirrors, becaz thats the first thing you look before decide to switch.

8. balajeek

balajeek Member

After I had checked all as you said in the old school way I would simply make the turn, I don't need to check another extra thing to see if there is a red line (moreover its in the center screen and moved your eyes already), instead if the car tech feels unsafe it should give audible alert or not let turn at all as the Mercedes does. This is my opinion, the highways I drive with 4+ lanes gives you 2 sec to make your move beyond that the scenario changes :)

9. SpudLime

SpudLime Active Member

You have better experience than mine in 25+ years of driving to not have a car sneak into your lane or speed up to be a jerk.

10. Gavyne

Gavyne Member

Reason the lights on side mirrors don't work well is because they are always lit. Unless you live out in middle of nowhere, chances are there are almost always cars driving close enough to your blindspot that the warning light is always lit up. Cars don't even need to be in your blindspot for the light to come on.

Those familiar with cars that have lights on the side will tell you after awhile, you start to ignore them. Audible chime is the better solution, and you really only need to be notified when you flip the turn signal and ready to make the lane switch. Also adjusting your side mirrors properly will allow you to see blindspots. There's really no need for additional side alerts. How To: Adjust Your Mirrors to Avoid Blind Spots

11. RayW

RayW Joy Riding

The Mercedes system is very good. Tesla already copied their column sticks (or, maybe MBZ copied Tesla, who knows) so they should have copied the blind spot alert functionality.

12. Trips

Trips "Boring bonehead questions are not cool. Next?"

Birds eye view when parking is my number one request. Then internal camera record, door pop, and passenger seat adjust on screen would also be nice for rideshare drivers.

13. Knightshade

Knightshade Well-Known Member

That's physically impossible based on the Model 3 camera placement.

If you wanna talk about a feature they left out, how about waypoints in nav?

Garmin solved that like 15 years ago.

14. Chris350

Chris350 Member

Waypoints and Alt Routes are 2 MAJOR items that need to be added...

Just took a very long road trip and these are the 2 major issues that forced me to use Nav on my phone...

15. kbecks13

kbecks13 Active Member

I'm sure an audible alert is the next step. They JUST implemented the use of all 8 cameras, give them some time to gain confidence in the system and then i'm sure we will see it start doing more and more useful things (i.e audible alert, Drive on Nav etc.)

16. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

What are you talking about they have waypoints already. ;) (You just have no control over what they are.)

• Funny x 1
  17. balajeek

balajeek Member

yes, that would be cool, I saw this on Bmw x5 and was surprised how did they even do that and how many cameras and where. it was showing all around the car real time.