TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

v9 Unable to turn on heated steering wheel without first turning on A/C

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by GasKilla, Nov 27, 2018.

1. GasKilla

GasKilla No Gas Know Peace

Or turn on anything other than front heated seats without first turning on the HVAC system. Sometimes I like to drive with the A/C off but with the heated steering wheel and seat on ... on v8 I'd goto the cold weather package page to turn on these items independently of anything the HVAC system was doing, now I must first press the fan button then press the three wavy lines before I can access the cold weather items and with this process the A/C automatically turns on. If I turn off the A/C the HVAC controls autohide and I can't access the cold weather items so I'm stuck turning on the A/C to access anything other than the front heated seats.

Anyone found a workaround for this bug or do I have to wait for some future update that restores lost functionality?

BTW I was refusing to update my firmware but had to take my car in for service and they automatically updated my and in the process took away several features I liked and used regularly without any obvious improvements. (I'm on an AP1 car)

• Informative x 1
  2. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure This All Out

I sent a complaint in on this at the beginning of V9. The other day I experienced the same thing while trying to defrost my mirrors in a critical power situation where I needed the cabin heating off.

• Like x 1
  3. scottm

scottm Version 9 software sufferer

Are you saying it's impossible to have heated seats on, only, with no other HVAC in v9?

This is counter-Tesla's own advice: heated seats are a far better use of power than HVAC if that's all the warmth you need. They encouraged the use over HVAC.

4. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 100D 2020.40.4

You can have the seats on but if you go to the screen to turn on the heated steering wheel, rear heated seats, etc., it will automatically turn on the HVAC. You then need to turn it back off manually but everything else will stay on.

5. aesculus

My experience with the heated wheel was it turned off if I turned off the HVAC fan. Do you see a different behavior?

• Like x 1
  6. MorrisonHiker

Mine stays on even if HVAC is off.

7. aesculus

I turned the HVAC off by pressing the fan or moving to the fan icon from the heat icon and then selected the on/off icon. Did you do something different to turn the fans off but keep the wheel warming?

8. MorrisonHiker

I think I usually press and hold the fan icon to turn off the HVAC. They added the persistent steering wheel heat.functionality last December or so.

9. GasKilla

Yeah this is just super annoying, probably gonna just leave my heated steering wheel on until the summer rolls around. I actually could have turned it off on the way home tonight but it's too much of a hassle to deal with the HVAC turning on and off etc.

• Like x 1
  10. GasKilla

I'd like to request everyone experiencing this issue submit a bug report via the car so that this issue will get some attention and get fixed sooner than later

• Funny x 1
    • Love x 1
  11. nexusone

nexusone Member

I wish I could turn the steering wheel heat down so it was warm but not HOT.

12. GasKilla

My car doesn't have that problem, what year is your build?