Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

v9 Unable to turn on heated steering wheel without first turning on A/C

GasKilla

No Gas Know Peace
Nov 11, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Or turn on anything other than front heated seats without first turning on the HVAC system. Sometimes I like to drive with the A/C off but with the heated steering wheel and seat on ... on v8 I'd goto the cold weather package page to turn on these items independently of anything the HVAC system was doing, now I must first press the fan button then press the three wavy lines before I can access the cold weather items and with this process the A/C automatically turns on. If I turn off the A/C the HVAC controls autohide and I can't access the cold weather items so I'm stuck turning on the A/C to access anything other than the front heated seats.

Anyone found a workaround for this bug or do I have to wait for some future update that restores lost functionality?

BTW I was refusing to update my firmware but had to take my car in for service and they automatically updated my and in the process took away several features I liked and used regularly without any obvious improvements. (I'm on an AP1 car)

• Informative
Reactions: Mayhemm

aesculus

Still Trying to Figure This All Out
May 31, 2015
Northern California
Anyone found a workaround for this bug or do I have to wait for some future update that restores lost functionality?
I sent a complaint in on this at the beginning of V9. The other day I experienced the same thing while trying to defrost my mirrors in a critical power situation where I needed the cabin heating off.

Reactions: GasKilla

scottm

Legacy account
Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Are you saying it's impossible to have heated seats on, only, with no other HVAC in v9?

This is counter-Tesla's own advice: heated seats are a far better use of power than HVAC if that's all the warmth you need. They encouraged the use over HVAC.

MorrisonHiker

Mar 8, 2015
Colorado
Are you saying it's impossible to have heated seats on, only, with no other HVAC in v9?

This is counter-Tesla's own advice: heated seats are a far better use of power than HVAC if that's all the warmth you need. They encouraged the use over HVAC.
You can have the seats on but if you go to the screen to turn on the heated steering wheel, rear heated seats, etc., it will automatically turn on the HVAC. You then need to turn it back off manually but everything else will stay on.

aesculus

Still Trying to Figure This All Out
May 31, 2015
Northern California
You can have the seats on but if you go to the screen to turn on the heated steering wheel, rear heated seats, etc., it will automatically turn on the HVAC. You then need to turn it back off manually but everything else will stay on.
My experience with the heated wheel was it turned off if I turned off the HVAC fan. Do you see a different behavior?

Reactions: Evee

MorrisonHiker

Mar 8, 2015
Colorado
I turned the HVAC off by pressing the fan or moving to the fan icon from the heat icon and then selected the on/off icon. Did you do something different to turn the fans off but keep the wheel warming?
I think I usually press and hold the fan icon to turn off the HVAC. They added the persistent steering wheel heat.functionality last December or so.

GasKilla

No Gas Know Peace
Nov 11, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah this is just super annoying, probably gonna just leave my heated steering wheel on until the summer rolls around. I actually could have turned it off on the way home tonight but it's too much of a hassle to deal with the HVAC turning on and off etc.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC