Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

v9 using feature only available in FSD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought that Full Self Driving option only had a future-benefit, not a current one. (And I was told this by Tesla salesperson when I purchased my M3P four weeks ago).

However, reading the Release Notes for v9, it seems that Blindspot Warning does utilize the FSD. In other words, if one did not purchase FSD then one doesn't get the full capability.

Am I correct in interpreting it this way?

If so, I'm frustrated because I wanted to buy FSD but the salesperson talked me out of it. Now, it would cost me $2k more and I can't add it to my loan.
DHfPg70vteq3W01anxHu15LFqK6Em9wqE3GxZl6K4w8V5wObOa5B0vWpRPC2E9H3fRllkkYaO0cSHaYhdFt-ZrcSMV9RYBCjQfAom_LbmPqscDVFDqtfZc_ZXRzSZTM7yV-8ZiRLAoB3M-ffOV3xmFDM-GcjZIOLhjPDGZyetYCn0wALknhFctt3RMvoajqwnEmtSVCF6FVW1sm4bIsX7s9MVOPVMZ2hFgDpmmvpNbhOP2UbXL8nabSz1Ajede6KO6Esu4PxkF-Jfbf1W7b-5j2CYW2AhJRcJC73iJZGZkj28irfqH-d4EbYIvCzfGvwaMjpHjtZWJ_gNcpFa75D5NF4VG-GeBaQOCL5BHWlf2yMhmHORnhttEJQQXXDf7mUvY5Ca2Ac0VnbPd-3AUxeLjfFj0JwoPRLlM6IB4t1w9V1fHQW6I7DnbVf3LAC9l1SdUAaaMoHufwk8aP2BBRCKj1ZbY1_bVyOaOoIv4dS2X-iH8mdzMREbeA5N6RXGEeipSWBkFKyF1pKmPjM0fEmENeYDi3-YMNNj7Rdbr_DfR637lZbEoptbg2MUnUm2pKwOuU7uPLWful8vmZ4psWX1A-Ce5WO6pJbWWBmkUFGwE30A5tZ_RDLYkJDcutaVWg2706V_Pt-pL_JyKOojArBrB2Q9lhfwtrmVD55_gAndqeeyr2gzrhkCs1oHSe7jDhtYjKylj6Xhq7HhUKhMJk=w1791-h1362-no

• Disagree
Reactions: privater
We thought this also for a second when v9 came out (that FSD cars got something) but it was only the 8 cameras they were talking about, not the software.

So far those that paid for FSD get nothing except a free upgrade next year (if and when that happens :D).

Every car made since August 2016 has AP 2.x hardware. The 8 cameras.

Reactions: Brisket5652
...if one did not purchase FSD then one doesn't get the full capability...

What clear is: Both EAP and FSD get 360 degree view and blindspot function.

My understanding of the old EAP page is that EAP could do that with the use of only 4 cameras and FSD gets 8 for redundancy.

With V9, I guess 4 is not enough so they need all 8 for both EAP and FSD paid owners.

Reactions: Falkirk
If you bought my 2012 Model S from me, it does not have any AP1 or AP2 or FSD hardware.

the OP's post has nothing to do with hardware.

Those definitions of Blind Spot Monitoring were supposed to be FSD features....not EAP features, however they hare rolled them out into EAP.

They need to correct their website description of Blind Spot Monitoring by not making it a FSD feature…..because its already an EAP feature.

Last edited:
the OP's post has nothing to do with hardware.

Those definitions of Blind Spot Monitoring were supposed to be FSD features....not EAP features, however they hare rolled them out into EAP.

They need to correct their website description of Blind Spot Monitoring.

No, it has everything to do with hardware.

"...cars with Full Self Driving hardware will now display a red line..."

"...cars with Full Self Driving hardware will now use all eight cameras..."

This has nothing to do with whether you purchased FSD as a feature or not. The first reply to this thread was correct.

No, it has everything to do with hardware.

"...cars with Full Self Driving hardware will now display a red line..."

"...cars with Full Self Driving hardware will now use all eight cameras..."

This has nothing to do with whether you purchased FSD as a feature or not. The first reply to this thread was correct.

But all Model 3's have FSD hardware even though they may not have purchased FSD software. And the feature is working in ALL EAP Model 3's regardless if FSD has been purchased or not.

Tesla's website to me says that blind spot monitoring is a feature of the FSD software.

ALL Model 3's come with the hardware...sure....but show me where a software feature such as blind spot monitoring is automatic IF YOU SIMPLY HAVE THE HARDWARE.

All driving features should be tied to a purchased SOFTWARE package.

But all Model 3's have FSD hardware even though they may not have purchased FSD software. And the feature is working in ALL EAP Model 3's regardless if FSD has been purchased or not

Yes but the V9 release notes are generic across all Tesla cars, there isn't a specific release note for the M3.

Tesla's website to me says that blind spot monitoring is a feature of the FSD software.

I really have no idea how you can infer that given the word software isn't mentioned anywhere in the context of FSD.

ALL Model 3's come with the hardware...sure....but show me where a software feature such as blind spot monitoring is automatic IF YOU SIMPLY HAVE THE HARDWARE.

All driving features should be tied to a purchased SOFTWARE package.

They are, EAP. Not FSD.

Reactions: P85_DA and cgrubbe
I think it’s safe to say major safety features will be standard on all cars with the appropriate hardware. Imagine the car knows you’re about to run a red light and get T-boned, but a software flag said “they didn’t pay... ignore it.” I think it’s great they give it to everyone in this case.

I think it’s safe to say major safety features will be standard on all cars with the appropriate hardware. Imagine the car knows you’re about to run a red light and get T-boned, but a software flag said “they didn’t pay... ignore it.” I think it’s great they give it to everyone in this case.

But the question is......what is safety? and what is FSD?

Is EAP safety or a feature?

Is FSD safety or a feature?

My answer = features.

Understood,

but the question is: Should it be?

Should it be what? Free if you didn't purchase FSD?

I don't think blind spot monitoring should be a feature of FSD, or of EAP. If anything is could be a separate feature, but it's not sold separately so, yes it probably should be 'free' or at least included with any car capable of supporting it.

Making Blind Spot monitoring an exclusive feature of a $5k option would be somewhat strange, especially as that option isn't even available right now.

Reactions: P85_DA and outdoors