Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

v9 using feature only available in FSD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Should it be what? Free if you didn't purchase FSD?

I don't think blind spot monitoring should be a feature of FSD, or of EAP. If anything is could be a separate feature, but it's not sold separately so, yes it probably should be 'free' or at least included with any car capable of supporting it.

Making Blind Spot monitoring an exclusive feature of a $5k option would be somewhat strange, especially as that option isn't even available right now.

All Tesla would have to do is put the first feature of FSD on the website and turn it on. Tesla's website changes like the weather.

I checked all buttons on my P3D so.....it really does not matter to me. I already purchased everything.

...Should it be?

AP1 does not include blind spot monitor. Onwer has to manually confirm clearance from blindspots first then command the system to do a lane change with a turn signal.

EAP has changed all that. Its goal has been changing lane without human input. For EAP to achieve that, it must know how to do blindspot monitoring.

If an owner paid for EAP, blindspot monitoring is covered without the need of paying further expenses for FSD.

Thus, the remaining question is: Should those who paid only for the use of 4 cameras now get to use all 8 without paying the additional cost for FSD privilege?

Last edited:
...They added more cameras for AP2 and above...

This was the description for EAP AP2:

"The enhancements include going from one to four cameras for greater accuracy, redundancy and see fast-approaching vehicles in adjacent lanes..."

It said 4 and did not say 8 cameras for EAP.

1006811-14924417053487616.png

Also, read here:

Introducing Software Version 9.0

In that, it says:

• Now, all eight external cameras FROM our Full Self-Driving hardware in every Model S, Model X and Model 3 are active, enabling better situational awareness on the road with a 360-degree visualization of surrounding vehicles.
I added the emphasis on from. Its telling the user that the cameras are activated now. No mention its tied to any feature.

Also, read here:

Introducing Software Version 9.0

In that, it says:

• Now, all eight external cameras FROM our Full Self-Driving hardware in every Model S, Model X and Model 3 are active, enabling better situational awareness on the road with a 360-degree visualization of surrounding vehicles.
I added the emphasis on from. Its telling the user that the cameras are activated now. No mention its tied to any feature.

Sooooo…… EAP buyers benefit from FSD cameras?

and FSD buyers still have....? nothing?

I guess, in order to justify the price difference between EAP and FSD, in its wisdom, it was selling numbers of cameras 4 VS 8.

What it could have sold were features. Then whatever hardware/cameras that take to achieve those features, that's fine.

Anyhow, EAP owners have gotten a bargain for not paying FSD and still got the use of all 8 cameras!

Yes.
One of the most interesting questions coming up in 2019 is determining what the first FSD feature will be.
I think most people now understand Tesla will be implementing FSD incrementally. Perhaps it will be smart summon that Elon tweeted about today but who really knows.

The owner who didn’t purchase FSD or EAP benefitted the most from this particular feature. It’s FREE to all owners of 3’s! Even without paying for EAP.

And yes... it’s totally fair. They constantly upgrade these things and all of them will get better over time. Enjoy it.

Whatever Tesla says is never set in stone... it’s always evolving. 4/8 cameras, fsd, p85d hp, ap1 summon around corners, auto lane change. Also never expect a feature until your car has it... they sell way too much hype.

The owner who didn’t purchase FSD or EAP benefitted the most from this particular feature. It’s FREE to all owners of 3’s! Even without paying for EAP.

And yes... it’s totally fair. They constantly upgrade these things and all of them will get better over time. Enjoy it.

Whatever Tesla says is never set in stone... it’s always evolving. 4/8 cameras, fsd, p85d hp, ap1 summon around corners, auto lane change. Also never expect a feature until your car has it... they sell way too much hype.

I have to disagree....its NOT totally fair.

When you pay for something you should get something for it that not EVERYONE gets for free.

• Disagree
Reactions: P85_DA
It’s called a “Standard Feature” and Elon said all safety features are free/standard on all cars. Who cares what cameras it uses. Convenience features cost $$$.

Dashcam uses the cameras and is free for everyone. That a problem also?

If its a standard feature then all cars should be able to use it. Not...all can... So....its not "standard".

Tesla is still selling pre-owned Teslas that cant.

If its a standard feature then all cars should be able to use it. Not...all can... So....its not "standard".

Tesla is still selling pre-owned Teslas that cant.
That is an interesting statement. Tesla said cars with 8+ cameras can use BSM. Seems like they are classifying it as a safety feature. Really you should be upset that us EAP folks may be getting super advanced summon (follow you around) when that was something that was explicitly mentioned for FSD folks. (unless my memory is failing me).

That is an interesting statement. Tesla said cars with 8+ cameras can use BSM. Seems like they are classifying it as a safety feature. Really you should be upset that us EAP folks may be getting super advanced summon (follow you around) when that was something that was explicitly mentioned for FSD folks. (unless my memory is failing me).

Indeed I am. I am trying to find a way to justify the FSD purchase. I purchased FSD for the features stated at the time of my purchase, however they are giving all of them to EAP and just about everybody.

Nope, summon was always an EAP thing.