Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VA Clean Fuel Plates: Worth the effort?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
probably not. Maybe possible to find a person with the old style plates that still work on 395 and 66 and the Dulles toll road and buy their car and get them to just add you to the title and leave their name on the title. Then eventually take their name off the title and see if you can keep the car with the old style plates and then transfer the plates from the old prius to a new tesla.

Last edited:
Not really (at least for me in NoVa). Looks like it only offers exemption for I-64 and I-264. I guess I could see I-264 (bw norfolk and va beach) being useful, but I am always in the car with family when down there, so no need for exemption.

No, it's only good for I-64 and I-264. See posts above.

No, I'm sorry, not correct...I also gave you a link to the Toll Road site, but here it is again Dulles Toll Road. The current/new Clean Fuel tags issued by the DMV also work on the Toll Road. Any clean fuel tag will allow HOV access on the Toll Road. Notice that in the DMV site does not even call out the Toll Road at any point, that's because the Dulles Toll Road is a "privately" funded road, and can set their own guidelines in terms of HOV rules. The Virginia Department of Transportation has to approve, but as it stands now, the Toll Road allows any clean fuel vehicle tagged vehicle HOV privileges.

If you still want to tell my I'm wrong...here is the VDOT link to all VA HOV rules, High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) Lanes - Rules and FAQs where it also says the following:

Hybrid rules on the Dulles Toll Road:

Hybrids with clean fuel plates are allowed to travel in the HOV lanes on the Dulles Toll Road during rush hour with one occupant. This exemption is in place until further notice.

FYI...I have been commuting on the Toll Road every day for the last 7 years by myself in my hybrid vehicle, which has clean fuel tags.

Reactions: jimmyjohn
No, I'm sorry, not correct...I also gave you a link to the Toll Road site, but here it is again Dulles Toll Road. The current/new Clean Fuel tags issued by the DMV also work on the Toll Road. Any clean fuel tag will allow HOV access on the Toll Road. Notice that in the DMV site does not even call out the Toll Road at any point, that's because the Dulles Toll Road is a "privately" funded road, and can set their own guidelines in terms of HOV rules. The Virginia Department of Transportation has to approve, but as it stands now, the Toll Road allows any clean fuel vehicle tagged vehicle HOV privileges.

If you still want to tell my I'm wrong...here is the VDOT link to all VA HOV rules, High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) Lanes - Rules and FAQs where it also says the following:

Hybrid rules on the Dulles Toll Road:

Hybrids with clean fuel plates are allowed to travel in the HOV lanes on the Dulles Toll Road during rush hour with one occupant. This exemption is in place until further notice.

FYI...I have been commuting on the Toll Road every day for the last 7 years by myself in my hybrid vehicle, which has clean fuel tags.
Lol. I'm still going to tell you you're wrong bc it seems like a great way to get you even more angry.

No, I changed my mind. I'll concede. You're right. My bad sir (or madam).

Lol. I'm still going to tell you you're wrong bc it seems like a great way to get you even more angry.

No, I changed my mind. I'll concede. You're right. My bad sir (or madam).

Trust me, not at all angry. I'm just normally a blunt guy and I find that in forums such as these, if you are not direct when conveying a thought or opinion, people don't always understand, but when you do they also think you are mean, rude, or angry. None of the above actually, just want to inform, learn, and share...that's all. Sorry If I came across angry, was not my intention. Glad you know something new and I hope it helps others.

Reactions: jimmyjohn
On a high note, there is obviously inconsistency between the DMV website and the Dulles Toll road website.The DMV website does not cite the Dulles Toll Road exemption. I sent a note to the DMV regarding this inconsistency. (NOTE: I tried to submit an online secure form note to DMV but could not get it to work. Maybe someone else can try? Here's what I tried to send:

The DMV page (Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles) on Clean Special Fuel Vehicles/Plates does not cite the HOV exemption for the Dulles Toll Road. Please see Traveler Information in the paragrapgh entitled "HOV Lanes on the Toll Road", where it states "Motorcycles and clean fuel vehicles (hybrid and compressed natural gas) are exempt from HOV restrictions in Virginia".

Last edited:
There are 3 clean fuel plates. The pre 2006 ones work and still do, on all the roads that had exemptions for clean fuel in hov lanes.
The middle plates( 2006-2011)lost the ability to be in hov on the 395 but still worked in 267 and 66. The most recent and current style I believe lost it for 267 and 66 and thus only gives benefits near Norfolk or whatever.

The above is from memory but I think correct.

It's all gotten very complicated. In addition to the different versions (and thus rules) of clean-fuel plates, Virginia is using the HOT lane expansion to whittle away at the exemptions. On I-395 for instance, you need the 2006 and earlier plates but can only use them from Shirlington to the bridge because the rest of I-395 has become HOT lanes. There are active efforts underway to convert the final section of I-395 (Shirlington to the bridge) to HOT lanes within the next few years so that'll be it for I-395. I-66 inside the beltway is moving to HOT lanes too.

In short, it is days of diminishing returns for any commute privileges for clean fuel plates.

Reactions: jthompson
As far as I know there is a 30% federal incentive but nothing from Virginia. There is a pilot program through VA Dominion Power for off peak charging as well for EV's. Note that it is a pilot program and I believe there is an end date on it.

Added notes from Electric Vehicle FAQs

Yes, currently the EV Pricing Plans are part of a pilot program. Dominion wants to learn about the pilot participant’s ability to adapt to the changing prices each day and their willingness to shift electricity consumption to off-peak periods.

Dominion will evaluate and determine if a program similar to the EV Pricing Plans will be beneficial to additional customers in the future. As of January 13, 2016, the enrollment and program participation periods have been extended. Enrollment will end on September 1, 2016 with the pilot concluding on November 30, 2018. The pilot is limited to 750 participants in the EV Only Pricing Plan and 750 participants in the EV + Home Pricing Plan.

So the phase-out of the HOV clean fuel plate benefit happened because of so many people bought hybrids. Maybe they should come out with a new program for true zero emission vehicles. Give it a nice perk like reduced toll costs (like NY state) or access to HOV lanes. Currently, there aren't many of us out there so no big deal. It can phase out when everybody else finally gets kicks the gasoline habit. Anybody know a Virginia legislator who could sponsor such a bill? Maybe someone from coal country could to boost electricity consumption ;)

• Disagree
Reactions: kort677
So the phase-out of the HOV clean fuel plate benefit happened because of so many people bought hybrids. Maybe they should come out with a new program for true zero emission vehicles. Give it a nice perk like reduced toll costs (like NY state) or access to HOV lanes. Currently, there aren't many of us out there so no big deal. It can phase out when everybody else finally gets kicks the gasoline habit. Anybody know a Virginia legislator who could sponsor such a bill? Maybe someone from coal country could to boost electricity consumption ;)
I would love reduced car taxes...