Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VA inspection & tire shop in around Sterling or Fairfax

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now I lost a tire, can't be fixed. VA Tire is telling me I have to replace all four. I would agree to two. AWD must replace all four????

Anyone ever here that line?

I went back over to the shop and I would say the driver has burned the treads off the tires. ;) They're real close to the wear bars but I could get some more miles out of it.

They have always been good to us but this one isn't passing the smell test.

You don’t need to change all 4... and you could get away with one tire if mileage is low and they have the same tire in stock. Only time you need to change both tires on same axle is if different tire and/or lots of miles on remaining tire.

What does Tesla say? Seems getting one from them at their (higher) price would be better than doing two or four... Now if you will need to do a pair or four in six months or a year, then...

I was picking up our 2019 Tesla 3 last night and they said BS. :D It is not the same situation as a ICE with the connected drive shafts. I would have to agree with pairs and a single if all the tires were new.

My son lost a tire last week on our pick up. they didn't even mention it on our pick up. they replaced the one tire no questions asked.

I would need a pair or four within 4 months. I know both my son's and I have been heavy on the gas pedal but to ware out a set of tires in 24K miles wasn't long. I was get 70K miles on the first set.

Since my last post word of warning. Until I started posting this I think I got the flat going off 50 onto 66. The same spot the pickup blew the tire. Yesterday running back to Tesla there was another pickup at the end of the ramp with a flat tire. There is something out there in the left lane of the exit ramp.

You don’t need to change all 4... and you could get away with one tire if mileage is low and they have the same tire in stock. Only time you need to change both tires on same axle is if different tire and/or lots of miles on remaining tire.

Yes I totally agree.

Since the tires are well worn, I'm going with the same tire for the ride and replacing all four.

Anyone allow them to replace the valve stems? Tesla warns us NOT TO replace the sensors. they were like leave them alone. I like the high end stems they have vs. the cheap rubber ones.

Well one of my tires didn't last long. I was passing the entrance to the Loudoun landfill off Evergreen Mill Rd, and picked up something bad. My tire went down by the time I got to the high school. I don't even think I had 200 miles on the tires.

I called Tesla roadside and they said they would have a truck out to get me and take me back to VA Tires to get it fixed. They did not have a loaner, so I was kinda stuck. I really thought I would be stuck for the day. they told me the tow truck would be there in 45-60 minutes.

Blow out .jpg

Blair's showed up in 45 minutes as promised. The driver knew all about Tesla's and how to raise and lower them so you don't get the tail dragged going on and off the truck. He ran me right down to VA. tire. While I was waiting, I called VA and they had to bring in a tire but got on it right away. They said it would be 12 before they got it which would have been 35 minutes after I got there, time enough for me to get lunch. Unfortunately they use a third party delivery service to drop off tires and they took their time. Va. Tire pulled the tire and had the rim ready for the new one. I wound up waiting about two hours for the tire to show up, which sucked but all in all Tesla, Blair's and Va Tire did a good job. They honored the warranty and cost me $18.00 for a new warranty for the new tire. That was it.

I found a new use for Summon: It's a good way to find the hole in your tire, just double check which way you have the car go. (I'm sure Tesla would not approve of my methods.) I just think of the guy in the Sopranos.:eek:

• Funny
Reactions: SpudLime
Any suggestions for a quality VA inspection & tire shop? Thanks!

I got my Telsa S VA state inspection at Oakton Auto Service Center (Google Maps) recently. Super easy. Pull up into the lane they have marked nearby. Wait a minute or two. They took my car in one of the bays just for inspections (there's no lift). I waited all of 15 minutes for the whole thing. Some folks mentioned them having to lift the car and getting jack pads... they didn't lift the car so you don't need all that. I went around 7:30 in the morning, no line.

FYI: I also learned that by state law you can't make appointments for state inspections alone.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
A new thing here is that Tyson’s Tesla can now do inspections. They seems to have fixed/found a loophole to the ‘have to inspect everything’ and now can do VA Safety inspections.

They do need a lift for this so if you are in for anything else be sure to add this to your list of items and they can take care of this also.

• Informative
Reactions: J__T
A new thing here is that Tyson’s Tesla can now do inspections. They seems to have fixed/found a loophole to the ‘have to inspect everything’ and now can do VA Safety inspections.

They do need a lift for this so if you are in for anything else be sure to add this to your list of items and they can take care of this also.
Had our 3 inspected yesterday at Tyson’s while on for other things. If you schedule an appt and include an inspection, do it in the middle of the month. I think it took an extra day just for the inspection because they only have the one person and he had to do all delivered cars (of course) and I bet they take priority. :D

Also took my X to Chantilly VA Tire again this year and no issues at all. Did it on 10/1 so that took a while in line (lol) but the actual inspection took about 10 minutes.

I include a sheet of paper reminding about jack mode and this year adding where to find the odometer (T at top of screen) since they didn’t know last year and hunted around for the trip section in the menu.

I had a tough situation this weekend. My son is getting married and I got yet another flat tire after the rehearsal dinner. I was able to get air in the tire long enough to get it to a shop then next morning. I had no time to play around and I needed it fixed right now. VA tire gave me this song and dance that they cant patch foam filled tires, which isn't true. they also didn't have the time of day to even look at the tire, even if I brought it to them off the car.

I went to plan B and called Matt Curry's Craftsman Auto Care in Chantilly. They took my car right in and gave me a loaner so I could keep running around. I simply got a call back within 45 minutes that the tire was patched and I was ready to go!!! I had followed Boaterva's? lead on getting tires from Tire Rack and had Craftsman install and balance them last year. They really helped me out in a jamb. They are equipped to handle Tesla's and many thanks from me.

Also G&C and Craftsman have been doing our Tesla inspections.

I had a tough situation this weekend. My son is getting married and I got yet another flat tire after the rehearsal dinner. I was able to get air in the tire long enough to get it to a shop then next morning. I had no time to play around and I needed it fixed right now. VA tire gave me this song and dance that they cant patch foam filled tires, which isn't true. they also didn't have the time of day to even look at the tire, even if I brought it to them off the car.

I went to plan B and called Matt Curry's Craftsman Auto Care in Chantilly. They took my car right in and gave me a loaner so I could keep running around. I simply got a call back within 45 minutes that the tire was patched and I was ready to go!!! I had followed Boaterva's? lead on getting tires from Tire Rack and had Craftsman install and balance them last year. They really helped me out in a jamb. They are equipped to handle Tesla's and many thanks from me.

Also G&C and Craftsman have been doing our Tesla inspections.
May try them for inspection this year, as I've now been told by Tesla Mobile that Tyson's is getting away from doing public inspections since they have so many deliveries to do. As for VA, assume that was Chantilly? The South Riding one doesn't seem to be as good as Chantilly (which seems to be slipping, as you say). No issue with foam, you move the foam and put it back (or don't put it back...).

I had gotten tires/wheels in the past for a BMW from Tire Rack and may do it again for our 3, which is about to need new tires. The VA's are not on their list, and glad to hear Craftman is a good location for that!