Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VA State Safety Inspection. (At Tesla shop or Gas Station??)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

After almost a year of enjoying my Model-3, it's up for the State inspection.

The small sticker on the windshield says that it's up for next inspection... do I take it to Tesla shop (how much does it cost) or just get it done at any gas station where they have State inspectors?

Anyone who's done their Model-3's inspection, please share your experience, thanks a lot.

I’ve taken my Model S here for inspection two years running:

Mr. Tire Auto Service Centers
616 S Pickett St, Alexandria, VA 22304
(703) 214-6538
Google Maps

I’ve been really happy with them. I let them know it had jack points and they handled it without issue. — Dan

Tesla shops don’t perform state inspections in Virginia. I was told because they would be required to inspect all cars not just Tesla’s. In Virginia price is mandated by the state
I got my model 3 inspected at Tyco Rd. But was there for a rotation (waste of money, probably last time), and a magnet that came unglued from charge port door (warranty item). They ended up replacing another charge port part that had a TSB.

I got my model 3 inspected at Tyco Rd. But was there for a rotation (waste of money, probably last time), and a magnet that came unglued from charge port door (warranty item). They ended up replacing another charge port part that had a TSB.
You quoted my post about state inspection done at tyco. I know (having 7 Tesla’s) that they do not perform state inspections there. If,as you claim why not post your inspection certificate to prove it

Reactions: derotam
You quoted my post about state inspection done at tyco. I know (having 7 Tesla’s) that they do not perform state inspections there. If,as you claim why not post your inspection certificate to prove it
Dude, you got to take it easy.

Screenshot_20190913-225512_Drive.jpg

Hello,

After almost a year of enjoying my Model-3, it's up for the State inspection.

The small sticker on the windshield says that it's up for next inspection... do I take it to Tesla shop (how much does it cost) or just get it done at any gas station where they have State inspectors?

Anyone who's done their Model-3's inspection, please share your experience, thanks a lot.

When I first got my Tesla back in 2012 (obviously not a Model 3, but bear with me), I took it to the local gas station for inspection. I walked them thru the nuisances (air suspension, how to "start" the car, etc.), and the inspector appreciated it. Then I took him out for a drive and let him drive my car! He appreciated the personal touch. Bottom line is you can take your Model 3 to any VA Inspection Station. If they have not inspected a Model 3 before, then give them a quick education on jackpoints and how to "start" the car and drive it into and out of the garage. Enjoy the teaching moment! :)

Reactions: MichaelP90DL
Tyson’s does do it now. They JUST got an inspector and a special exemption (whatever) to do EVs/Teslas only.

I thought I posted this above. I was told this by Cathy after seeing the VA sign out front and they now do do them. And had our 3 inspected yesterday when it was in for other stuff.

As I said before, if you are in for other things, you can get an inspection. Put it on the list.

NOTE it may take another day to get it done as at end of quarter (this week) the one person needs to process every delivered car (and I assume they take priority).

Edit: it was the other thread I posted in, lol. That one had the Chantilly VA Tire as a recommended choice. I’ve used that twice for my X, no issues.

• Informative
Reactions: beatle