Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VA - Tysons Corner Delivery (to detail or not to detail)

Should I let the service center detail the car before delivery?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I should be picking up my TM3 on Friday from the Tyco Rd service center and driving it straight to a detailer for a full XPEL wrap.

I'm trying to figure out if I should have the service center do their standard detail on the car or not before taking it to the detailer. Some people say that sometimes the Tesla centers will introduce swirls and issues that will cost you more in Paint Correction, others say that they take out much more than they introduce and that I should let them detail the car.

The goal is to reduce how much I end up paying in Paint Correction at the detailer.

Thoughts?

If its about price just take it here

Seriously, I would talk to these guys and have Dan check it out - they have done all seven of our current cars (in fact two are there right now getting body work done - due to a vandal that went through our neighborhood)

If you check out the completed work section you will see a ton of Model S's.. The white one and black one are mine (classic nose cone).

Last edited:
Reactions: J__T
I see a few people have said to skip them, so does that mean that all these people have also skipped them and signed the detail waiver?

In order to skip Tesla detailing the car, I would have to sign a form that waives that, but on that form it also states that if the car has any scratches or issues I'm responsible for them. I talked to AQS, seem professional but are also SUPER expensive.

You own a Tesla - everyone assumes you are uber wealthy, be prepared for every interaction to make this assumption. Did you tell them its a 3 and not an S - with all the glass they only have to treat maybe 20 square feet of metal or less.

I see a few people have said to skip them, so does that mean that all these people have also skipped them and signed the detail waiver?

In order to skip Tesla detailing the car, I would have to sign a form that waives that, but on that form it also states that if the car has any scratches or issues I'm responsible for them. I talked to AQS, seem professional but are also SUPER expensive.

Let me help you -- STRIKE through and initial : but on that form it also states that if the car has any scratches or issues I'm responsible for them. STRIKE through and initial. You dont have to sign the form carte blanche, you do have rights... cross out the areas you dont agree with and initial.

Let me help you -- STRIKE through and initial :
but on that form it also states that if the car has any scratches or issues I'm responsible for them. STRIKE through and initial. You dont have to sign the form carte blanche, you do have rights... cross out the areas you dont agree with and initial.

They can also (and most likely will) simply say "sorry, we don't agree to those terms." During that detailing, their primary job is to remove any scratches that got introduced during shipping, and often there are some. They won't want me to walk away with the car without them doing a wash of the car to identify issues in the first place, then scratch remove... then I drive the car off, and a few days later say "oh there's this and that." If I owner a dealership I'd never let someone do that.

I did tell the AQS that it's for a Model 3, it seems they charge the same amount as a Model S really which sucks. Which is why they'll lose the business I guess. I mean looking at the XPEL material on the XPEL site, the 3 is definitely cheaper (cause smaller) than the S/X.