Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vacation and plugging in

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I am going on vacation in November for just over 3 weeks. Should I leave the car plugged in for the entire 3 weeks, should I leave it unplugged? Suggestions?

If I plug in should I lower amperage? What's the best amperage for that long?

Thanks.

So I am going on vacation in November for just over 3 weeks. Should I leave the car plugged in for the entire 3 weeks, should I leave it unplugged? Suggestions?

If I plug in should I lower amperage? What's the best amperage for that long?

Thanks.

Did you not receive the little card that comes with every Model S that says it should be kept plugged in whenever possible?

yep... every service center has the little cards reminding everyone that the car should be plugged in while away. I would put the desired charge at 50% (minimum setting) to optimize battery health during "storage" and keep plugged in

Yep. I noticed my car would charge exactly 5 kWh every other day while I was away. Topping up those vampire losses...

Interesting that different cars seem to behave differently. My car charges once every 24 hours while it is plugged in and not being driven. It uses up between 2.5 and 3 kWh every time it wakes up to charge. I am on fw 4.5(.61).

I plugged my car in Saturday night with scheduled charging set to 90% at midnight. I left it plugged in Sunday since it has been idle since Saturday night. As of Monday morning, vampire drained 2% of battery, but it didn't charge up to 90% this am as scheduled. What's going to happen while I leave it plugged in during my 2 week vacation?

I plugged my car in Saturday night with scheduled charging set to 90% at midnight. I left it plugged in Sunday since it has been idle since Saturday night. As of Monday morning, vampire drained 2% of battery, but it didn't charge up to 90% this am as scheduled. What's going to happen while I leave it plugged in during my 2 week vacation?

It will top itself up when it depletes to a certain point. About a year and a half ago, I noticed my car would top up exactly 2.5 kWh every other day while I was away for a week. (I have a separate sub meter on the car's charging circuit). If you have it set to a schedule, it will honor the schedule and begin the topping up at your scheduled time.