Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vacation coming up, when should I hold order?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

Hoping to get some insight from those who experienced a similar scenario.

My EDD is changing like the wind. I had a 12 days window from 11/18 - 11/30. I called my local Tesla store near me and they said, “we have you down for an estimated delivery to this center on 11/21.” At this time, I didn’t have a VIN.

Fast forward a week and my EDD just changed to 11/24 - 12/7. Still no VIN.

I go on vacation 12/2 for two weeks, and I am very concerned the car will show up during this period. Should I be holding the order now? Or still waiting on the VIN? I need to apply for financing still and have been holding off on the VIN for that, but don’t want to apply for financing when I get the VIN if I then have to give up the car anyway.

What would you all do? And if you do hold an order and forgo the VIN, how long would it take to get a new VIN? Trying to time this so I don’t have multiple credit pulls or have to wait months again for another car.

thanks so much!

My service center offered to work with me if the Tesla dates did not work out. Might be better to let it ride, then talk with the service center after it ships.

I'm guessing you have at least a week from VIN assignment to receipt at the service center, maybe a few more days beyond that for Tesla's required window. I can't see why the service center wouldn't work with you.

My service center offered to work with me if the Tesla dates did not work out. Might be better to let it ride, then talk with the service center after it ships.

I'm guessing you have at least a week from VIN assignment to receipt at the service center, maybe a few more days beyond that for Tesla's required window. I can't see why the service center wouldn't work with you.
Thank you! I’m curious when I should expect VIN assignment at this point. Hopefully soon so I have a better idea on planning.