Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vacation Rental Charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So we just bought a vacation rental in Key West Florida. Question should we have a Tesla Charger installed or should we go more generic?

Tesla Charger supports the Tesla community.
Generic supports anyone.

Thoughts?
Another possibility is to get a HPWC and also buy a Tesla-to-J1772 adapter (e.g. TeslaTap or Jdapter) that guests with non-Tesla EVs can use.

Ok I take that as response that means I should do the opposite and get a generic charger.

I vote for a generic charger, seems to be a pretty easy choice to me. Putting in a tesla wall connector makes it more difficult for any other EVs to charge, while putting in a "generic" one does not make it any more difficult for a tesla to charge. It then becomes an issue of marketing. All you would need to do is market you have a wall connector that supports most EVs (including Teslas, with the J1772 adapter the vehicle comes with), or some such.

Also, I guess its because I have been here a while and know the posting style of many of our longer tenured or active members, but it was super clear to me that the post from @Cheburashka was very "tongue in cheek" / Sarcastic.

Reactions: Rocky_H and kayak1
A clipper creek high amperage j1772 charger seems to be the best option. Something larger than a 48a model 3 max, closer to the 80a S/X limit would cover all of your bases

All current model S and X also have a 48amp limit, and for a vacation property there would not be a lot of value in that extra charging speed that only "some" old model X and S could use. Especially since putting in a 100 amp circuit (for 80amp charging) might require other hardware changes.

Someone on vacation really wants to be able to charge overnight while they are there, so they can push through to the vacation rental and plug in their car, and plug in overnight so they have a full charge the next morning. Even a 30 amp circuit would be fine for that.

All current model S and X also have a 48amp limit, and for a vacation property there would not be a lot of value in that extra charging speed that only "some" old model X and S could use. Especially since putting in a 100 amp circuit (for 80amp charging) might require other hardware changes.

Someone on vacation really wants to be able to charge overnight while they are there, so they can push through to the vacation rental and plug in their car, and plug in overnight so they have a full charge the next morning. Even a 30 amp circuit would be fine for that.
Ford truck, cybertruck(hopefully something large with how large that pack will be), future large pack EVs?

Ford truck, cybertruck(hopefully something large with how large that pack will be), future large pack EVs?

I just dont see the value of adding a circuit that large for charging in a vacation rental (but its obviously not my property). There isnt any proof that any new tesla will support the charge speeds previous older S and X did, and not even all of those vehicles do. It might be because I am also the mod for the tesla energy subforum, but adding a 100 amp circuit (for 80amp continuous charging) in general, would be a non trivial task in many locations.

Conversely, adding a 40-50-60amp circuit, is usually not that challenging. Over generalization, since everyones electric setup is different in their home, but there would likely be extra cost for that large a circuit for almost no current benefit. Even with those larger vehicles, as long as they can get substantial charge, in an 8 hour period (overnight) its sufficient.

I would be curious how much it is used. So, if it were my property, I would probably choose a ChargePoint Home so that I could see the energy usage online. I might also be inclined to specify how much free charging is included per night of stay, with excess use deducted from the deposit. Something like 50kWh per night would be reasonable. If most of your rentals are long weekends or whole weeks, people are extremely unlikely to use more than that average per day over their whole stay.

Wonderful! And now that Airbnb has finally, finally, finally made the EV Charger flag searchable, it will likely give you some useful results. Just remember: You'll get calls, if anything goes wrong with the charger. Local managers rarely have a clue about them.

I was the first in Pacific Beach San Diego, to offer an EV Charger - long before it was a searchable feature on Airbnb. Nobody took me up on it until this weekend, when we had a Model 3 trying to charge and get the blue light only. Called the electrician, but by the time he arrived, the car had started charging. We suspect the adapter wasn't seated properly, but hard to figure out retroactively.

- Airbnb
- Facebook Page where people can Like and follow our constant improvement progress
- PlugShare

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocky_H
Call these people and ask about their experiences - Cedar Lodge in the Wisconsin Dells ~ Resort on the WI River. I've stayed there a couple of times and they have two free Tesla destination chargers that remain locked until you ask the desk for a key. The operators have two Teslas, which is probably why they went with the Tesla chargers. But then a place I worked at during Covid had a free generic charger, and I was successfully able to charge there during after a huge snowstorm here left me unable to get up my driveway. Having a charging station of any kind will be a huge advantage in the long run. Of course you could charge for the service, but the goodwill engendered would most likely end up more valuable in the long run, and as you know it's really pretty cheap to charge at home vs. a supercharger or any other network.

Reactions: Watts_Up