Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vacation Rentals with Tesla chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know that some of us may have been to a vacation rental property that has a Tesla charger or own a vacation rental with a Tesla charger.

Tesla refuses to put our vacation rental on its map even though there already are a number of vacation rentals on their map already. So, I thought it would be good to start a thread on vacation rentals that you operate, own, or visit that feature a Tesla charger.

Hopefully, vacation rentals will see the benefit of having a Tesla or J1772 charger at their properties.

Last edited:
Have you added your property on PlugShare? That would help drive visits to your property.

Following up on my previous comment.

I, for one, start all of my lodging searches on PlugShare, looking for properties along my route with J-1772, Tesla or NEMA 14-50. From there, I narrow down the search to properties that are also pet-friendly. It's an arduous task, as hotel search engines (including AirBnB) rarely feature EV charging, so I end up having to use multiple search tools to plan a trip. It's become such a hassle lately that I often settle for pet-friendly properties near Superchargers. On the plus side, I've found some really unique lodging options by starting my search with EV charging locations.

Refuses? They actually said that they refuse? What was the reason they gave for declining?

The first email said, "We don’t list home rentals on our website any longer, but thank you for thinking of us!"

After I pushed back and noted that there already were other vacation rentals on the Tesla map (provided screen shots), they wrote back:

We will get those delisted as they are not meant to be online, we make no guarantee of listing any properties on our website, for any duration.

I understand why you are frustrated, this decision was made with our customers and hosts safety and experience in mind. If at any point in the future we make a change, I have your property noted in our system and we will reach out.
They list bed and breakfasts but now are refusing a vacation rental that sleeps more persons than many B&Bs. I explained this to Tesla and the fact that this is a 100% year round business. No response to that.

The in car map needs a filter. I would prefer it to show the ones that are most likely possible for me to use.
Using the car's navigation doesn't seem like how people would ever plan an overnight trip.. I have done it personally in a pinch, but for vacation rentals I think you need the AirBnbs and other booking sites to be able to indicate EV charging availability.

Not mine personally, but in the family. They are on Plugshare as per normal but shown as home charging. The last time I looked, AirBnb had a hidden filter for showing rentals with EV charging. IMO they've really dropped the ball on promoting this further. What a shame!

Hotels.com has a filter for "Electric Vehicle Charging Points". It works reasonably well - this is where I usually start my search for lodging on a road trip.
But I then often validate on Plugshare that the charger is actually working/accessible/free of charge...

Hotels.com is mostly for Hotels though - they do have some Vacation Rentals too, but clearly not as many as AirBnB or Vrbo.

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus
There's another alternative to finding a vacation rental with a Tesla HPWC or 14-50 outlet.

When renting vacation properties on Airbnb or wherever, I have been able to charge up by plugging into the laundry dryer outlet. Using a home-made 220V extension cord of about 15-feet (with a correctly-rated cable) and the UMC it usually can reach to a place I can park. I also have alternate plugs and a screwdriver with me so that I can change the end plug to cope with current NEMA 14-50 and 14-30 outlets, plus the older (pre-1996 construction) NEMA 10 standard with a plug that can do both NEMA 10-30 and 10-50 by swapping out the neutral pin. I also have an adaptor to use at camp sites in a circular (locking) "RV" outlet but have never used it yet!

When charging this way you should set the current limit on the in-vehicle control to not overload or even get close to the rated current of the circuit. Check the breaker panel for what amperage the dryer circuit is and pull no more than 80% of that. Most dryer outlets are rated for 30 amps with a 40 amp breaker, so pull no more than that 30 amp. I also put my hand as close to the dryer outlet as I can after it has been running for about 10 minutes to see how hot it is. So turning the charging current down to below 20 amps is always a prudent option for overnight charging. You never know if someone has used substandard wiring.

Our vacation rental is located in the wine country, Sonoma county, specifically in the town of Kenwood. Two bedroom two bath, creek side setting in a canyon.

50a charger free to paying guests at the property.

We were listed as a Tesla designated charger (they paid for our charger) but as I just looked, it no longer shows up? Odd.

link: www.kenwoodcottage.com

Reactions: IchDochNicht
@floatplane who is responsible when there is a laundry room fire for the next guest because the wire didn’t get fully tightened when putting the old outlet back in?

nevermimd - rereading it looks like your using the screwdriver to replace your ends on your cord.

Last edited:
Good news: Airbnb finally made the EV Charger Flag searchable! VRBO still doesn't, but hopefully they'll come around soon. And yes, PlugShare has a "Lodging" flag.

Until this weekend I have been the only one who has used our charger. But we just had our first ever guest with a Tesla. I'm thrilled that they traveled with electrons instead of dino juice!

- Listing page on Airbnb
- Facebook Page where people can Like and follow our constant improvement progress
- PlugShare