Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vacationing in Norway with a Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What with the Supercharger build out in Norway, my wife and I think it makes great sense to try a vacation in Norway.

We see several ideas about driving vacations in Norway, and we see that there is a gorgeous country and interesting people.

Now they have Tesla!

If there were a place a tourist could rent a Tesla and have an itinerary to visit the points of interest along the Supercharger routes, with perhaps some options for hiking, kayaking, photo ops, historical sites and towns that show the growth of Norway, it would be great!

If anyone knows of any such rentals being available, or anyone thinking of being a travel agent for such a vacation, I wish to hear about it. If there are places I should check (I don't want to burden anyone with my silly requests), I would greatly appreciate knowing about where to check.

Hoping to hear. Please email me if you have any ideas or comments, stelling at napanet dot net.

Thanks!

They have superchargers in alot of Places, but not in the fjord. But they have fast-chargers there. However I dont know any rentals for Tesla yet. If you want to come to Norway I suggest the west and the North of Norway. And do it in the summer!

They have superchargers in alot of Places, but not in the fjord. But they have fast-chargers there. However I dont know any rentals for Tesla yet. If you want to come to Norway I suggest the west and the North of Norway. And do it in the summer!

Thats not entirely correct. Aurland has a supercharger, and this is in Sognefjorden. 2/3 on the way from Oslo to Bergen. Excellent fjord and nature, and you can stop at Flom to take a trip with Flomsbanen (railroad) on a detour.
I havent taken this trip my self yet (Flomsbanen) but it is supposed to be excellent.

Aurland:
https://maps.google.com/maps?oe=&sa...,+Norge&ei=cwswUsDRJcOJtQa3zYF4&ved=0CLIBELYD

Sognefjorden is one of the "best" fjords in Norway. :) and you get to drive along some of it on your way to Bergen.

So I was planning on driving to Kiel (Germany) and take the 9hr ferry to Oslo and make my way up to Trondheim using the SuperChargers.

But besides the SuperChargers, where can I find 11kW or 22kW charging points on Norway?

I'd really like to drive there in the snow and go so far north I can see the Aurora.

So I was planning on driving to Kiel (Germany) and take the 9hr ferry to Oslo and make my way up to Trondheim using the SuperChargers.

But besides the SuperChargers, where can I find 11kW or 22kW charging points on Norway?

I'd really like to drive there in the snow and go so far north I can see the Aurora.

when are you coming? And if you dont really need to og that route I could set up a much better route for you, if you want to see the Mountains and the fjords.

How about a TMC house exchange program ? Obviously, the house must come with a well equipped garage, if you know what I mean ... :)

My wife suggested that, too. We have a nice little place overlooking Napa Valley, would trade for a week, have a "well equipped garage" with a standard 85. San Francisco, several counties of "wine country" if you're into that, oceans, mountains, blah blah. You know.

Let's see if we have any takers. Summer 2014!

My wife suggested that, too. We have a nice little place overlooking Napa Valley, would trade for a week, have a "well equipped garage" with a standard 85. San Francisco, several counties of "wine country" if you're into that, oceans, mountains, blah blah. You know.

I like the idea. Free accomodation and car for both. Really gives a better economic planning-part of the holiday.

Hi Roblab,

This is a great idea! We have a house 10minutes from Oslo Norway with a P85+ in the garage in about 8 weeks. I am a sommelier and visiting Napa Valley is on top of my to do list.

I have a nice condominium in the gorgeous city of Erfurt, with a garage (and 32A 3-phase socket) and a joice of either a Roadster or Model S P85+.
The flat is located in the heart of Erfurt, next to the Augustiner monastery (well known because of Luther).

May a good idea to swap both for 2-3 weeks in summer 2013 (or just now)

Eberhard

If I get a model S by then I might be very interested! I have a half Villa in the middle of Bergen. The prettiest town in Norway! There will might also be a crazy cat there. Bergen is called the city between the seven Mountains but it rains twice as much as in Seattle.

- - - Updated - - -

I like the idea. Free accomodation and car for both. Really gives a better economic planning-part of the holiday.

The idea is great, maybe some own thread for this?

If we actually get the Model S in the spring we might come over from Tallinn as my wife has always wanted to tour Norway (I've only been there on a bus trip in high school). The only questionable part will be after we take the ferry to Stockholm in getting from there to the first supercharger in Norway. But I guess I'll be asking tons of questions once the trip gets closer to planning :)

Map of fast ("hurtig") chargers (approx 50kw) and semi-fast chargers (approx 22kw) in the excellent Norwegian charging database NOBIL. Just remove the checked boxes for Chademo and Combo.

Kart over planlagte og eksisterende hurtigladere

I also recommend the iPhone app LadeNå! to find charging stations.

Most Norwegian slow charging stations are free, but are locked with a key. One key fits all. You can get a key for free by driving to Oslo municipal parking authority "Bymiljøetaten" service desk in Oslo: Hollendergata 5, 0190 Oslo. They also provide a parking-clock disk to fasten on the windshield, to indicate arrival time for those charging stations which are time limited.

Parking on municipal parking spaces is free for electric cars. But Norwegian electric cars all have licence plates starting with EL. Parking attendants will not understand that your car is electric if your licence plate doesn't start with EL. You might want to talk to Bymiljøetaten about how to do this for foreign electric cars. Or you may put a note on the front window of your car stating "Dette er en en elbil. Siden det er en utenlandsk bil har denne elbil ikke skilter som begynner med EL. Elbiler, både norske og utenlandske, kan i henhold til forskrift stå på kommunale parkeringsplasser uten å betale."

Domestic ferries are also free for electric cars.

Toll roads are also free for electric cars. You must rent an Autopass transponder for 200kr at an Esso petrol station in Oslo to be able to pass road tolls for free. You should get your 200kr back when returning the transponder at the end of your trip. (You might be able to pass for free without an autopass transpander on manned road toll booths and tell them your car is electric and exempt from road tolls. But they often refuse to believe Teslas are electric, and demand payment.)

Also note that the European Tesla UMC is not guaranteed to work in Norway, due to different electrical systems and grounding in most of Norway (75% of Norway uses 230 3-phase IT instead of the European standard 400V 3-phase TN with superior grounding). This may or may not be a problem.

The aurora borealis is probably best seen around Tromsø or Alta. Very far north of the northernmost supercharger. But it can be done using other chargers. Norwegian environmentalist Fredric Hauge has driven all the way to the north cape in his Model S.

You may also send the car up or down with Hurtigruten coastal ferry, which stops in most coastal towns all the way up to the Russian border.

Or you may put a note on the front window of your car stating "Dette er en en elbil. Siden det er en utenlandsk bil har denne elbil ikke skilter som begynner med EL. Elbiler, både norske og utenlandske, kan i henhold til forskrift stå på kommunale parkeringsplasser uten å betale."

"This is an electric vehicle. Since it's a foreign car, this electric vehicle not signs that start with EL. Electric cars, both Norwegian and foreign, can according to the regulations stand in municipal car parks without paying"

I was in Oslo last summer on a cruise ship, so I didn't get to see the country side. I think a "house/Tesla" exchange is an AWESOME idea for next summer. Keep building Superchargers throughout Europe!

Map of fast ("hurtig") chargers (approx 50kw) and semi-fast chargers (approx 22kw) in the excellent Norwegian charging database NOBIL. Just remove the checked boxes for Chademo and Combo.

Kart over planlagte og eksisterende hurtigladere

I also recommend the iPhone app LadeNå! to find charging stations.

Most Norwegian slow charging stations are free, but are locked with a key. One key fits all. You can get a key for free by driving to Oslo municipal parking authority "Bymiljøetaten" service desk in Oslo: Hollendergata 5, 0190 Oslo. They also provide a parking-clock disk to fasten on the windshield, to indicate arrival time for those charging stations which are time limited.

Parking on municipal parking spaces is free for electric cars. But Norwegian electric cars all have licence plates starting with EL. Parking attendants will not understand that your car is electric if your licence plate doesn't start with EL. You might want to talk to Bymiljøetaten about how to do this for foreign electric cars. Or you may put a note on the front window of your car stating "Dette er en en elbil. Siden det er en utenlandsk bil har denne elbil ikke skilter som begynner med EL. Elbiler, både norske og utenlandske, kan i henhold til forskrift stå på kommunale parkeringsplasser uten å betale."

Domestic ferries are also free for electric cars.

Toll roads are also free for electric cars. You must rent an Autopass transponder for 200kr at an Esso petrol station in Oslo to be able to pass road tolls for free. You should get your 200kr back when returning the transponder at the end of your trip. (You might be able to pass for free without an autopass transpander on manned road toll booths and tell them your car is electric and exempt from road tolls. But they often refuse to believe Teslas are electric, and demand payment.)

Also note that the European Tesla UMC is not guaranteed to work in Norway, due to different electrical systems and grounding in most of Norway (75% of Norway uses 230 3-phase IT instead of the European standard 400V 3-phase TN with superior grounding). This may or may not be a problem.

The aurora borealis is probably best seen around Tromsø or Alta. Very far north of the northernmost supercharger. But it can be done using other chargers. Norwegian environmentalist Fredric Hauge has driven all the way to the north cape in his Model S.

You may also send the car up or down with Hurtigruten coastal ferry, which stops in most coastal towns all the way up to the Russian border.
Great information, thanks! That really helps.

Now it's just 7 days before I get my Model S. But your information really helps to in planning the trip. Super!

What with the Supercharger build out in Norway, my wife and I think it makes great sense to try a vacation in Norway.

We see several ideas about driving vacations in Norway, and we see that there is a gorgeous country and interesting people.

Now they have Tesla!

If there were a place a tourist could rent a Tesla and have an itinerary to visit the points of interest along the Supercharger routes, with perhaps some options for hiking, kayaking, photo ops, historical sites and towns that show the growth of Norway, it would be great!

If anyone knows of any such rentals being available, or anyone thinking of being a travel agent for such a vacation, I wish to hear about it. If there are places I should check (I don't want to burden anyone with my silly requests), I would greatly appreciate knowing about where to check.

There are no Model S rentals in Norway, as I'm aware of.

But by the year end there will be more than 1000 Norwegian Model S owners, and many might be interested in borrowing your Model S in the US while you borrow theirs in Norway. Many Norwegians also have cottages in the countryside, in the mountains or by the sea, which they are probably more willing to include in the swap than their home. Norwegian cottages can have rather varying standards, some might be zen-minimalist back-to-nature shacks without water or electricity whereas more and more now have both electricity, water, tv and internet and maybe also sauna, jacuzzi, etc. Either way, privately owned cottages are great bases for winding down and trekking around in the outdoors.

The Norwegian trekking association (turistforeningen) also offers a number of cottages around the country for trekking in the mountains.

The Norwegian Trekking Association

Carrying kayaks with the Model S is more difficult. While it is possible to put on a roof rack on the Model S, I personally don't think I'll risk getting something as heavy and bulky as two kayaks on top of my Model S. I've chipped the paint on my old car while loading and unloading kayaks a bit too many times. I'd suggest buying a couple of foldable Oru Kayaks from Oru Kayak and bring them with you to Norway. (I should be getting mine for my Model S soon.) Or limit yourself to renting kayaks locally, where that's possible. Note that Norwegian paddles are twisted the other way around from what's normal in the USA and most of the rest of the world. If you're used to US paddles you might end up in the water on your first try with a Norwegian paddle if you're not careful.

If we actually get the Model S in the spring we might come over from Tallinn as my wife has always wanted to tour Norway (I've only been there on a bus trip in high school). The only questionable part will be after we take the ferry to Stockholm in getting from there to the first supercharger in Norway. But I guess I'll be asking tons of questions once the trip gets closer to planning :)

There will be Superchargers between Stockholm and Oslo, but its probably gonna be late 2014. I Guess it would be hotels or whatever where you can charge. Pls come With questions for Your stay when time comes!