TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Vacuum Interior....

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Ghosty, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Ghosty

Ghosty Member

I recently purchased a handheld cordless vacuum to keep the S nice and tidy inside. Specifically, the Black&Decker BDH2000PL. It was, for lack of a better term, garbage. The suction was atrocious. Didn't even pick up light lint. Returned it.

Fast forward to this week and - after a box of sugared bread lands on the floor - I seek a new vacuum. So I picked one up on sale at Ace Hardware for 40 bucks (Craftsman 9-17765), regular price 123 on Amazon and wow! It is a beast! Almost sucked the floor mats right up! Interior is super fresh now! Happy car! Works better than those at the car wash.

Wanted to share since I've been so focused on detailing the car every three days.

• Informative x 3
    • Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  2. Tiger

Tiger Active Member

I always take my car to an expert car interior cleaning company, costs around twenty bucks once or twice per year. Not worth DIY.

3. SilkySmooth

SilkySmooth Member

That is a great deal Alex! I needed a good wet/dry vac. I'll need to see if I really need one this large, though the price makes it cheaper than far lesser models. But I can assure you I won't be detailing every three days.

• Funny x 1
  4. Dann@OptiCoat

[email protected] Former Vendor

I used a Ridgid 4 gallon vacuum when I detailed professionally. It is a workhorse that would be a great addition to any garage. Having said that I think Tiger has it right, having your car maintained by a professional detailers is the ultimate way to car for your car!

• Like x 1
  5. artsci

artsci Sponsor

In my experience most Black&Decker stuff is very inferior -- most of it a waste of money.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  6. timvracer

timvracer Member

I used a pro for my Ceramic Coating, and PPF, as well as for maintenance... but to vacuum and wash the car every week, that seems a bit extreme? Or perhaps you only clean/vacuum your car every 6 months? (this is true for my boss, who never cleans his P85D, it drove me so crazy i swapped cars with him and detailed his car for him!)

• Like x 1
  7. nobznss

nobznss Member

Every now and again you can pick up the 12 gal shopvac (https://www.amazon.com/Shop-Vac-12-Gal-Peak-Stainless-Steel/dp/B00QFRSNRO) for $35. Just have to watch the prices. I bought one and then a few months later it went on sale again and my buddy picked up one. Thing will suck your face off, and has a nice long hose for reaching everything. I use it in my wife's Yukon XL all the time and never have any trouble cleaning it out. If it's just you driving it, once a week is probably overkill, but in my wife's "kid-mover" every week is a MUST.

8. farbster

farbster Member

How about using the vacuum at a gas station? Don't they cost about $1 to use?

9. eschummer

eschummer Member

I use one of the 12 gal shop vacs for most of the interior. As was said elsewhere, they do a great job. If you have floor mats, they are best cleaned up with a carpet (brush) attachment to a regular home vacuum cleaner. With that you can restore the "fresh from the showroom" look. Gas station vacuums also have good suction but I find most of the the nozzles a little too large to get into the smaller crevices, like next to the seat. And often they time out just when you discovered that last little bit of debris...

• Helpful x 1
  10. Kuhz

Kuhz Active Member

I have had an older variant of this and still works wonders 5 yrs later. The only thing I like more about cordless (have a shark) is no hose to scuff stuff up with

11. george_michael

george_michael New Member

I am planning to write an article containing handheld vacuum cleaner choices for car interior. for folks like us.

Already got some suggestion here, ha ha. Anyway, if anyone has some additional info to provide me - I'd be more than helpful. Thanks.

12. fwiw

fwiw Member

Dyson Motorhead Stick Vaccum. Various models V6 to V10.
    Sale sites have refurbed units. Ours was $179.00 for the V7. Could be cheaper now.
    It's cordless and the wife loves it for our tile floors
    Works for my car interiors. No garage, just a carport. Nothing to lug around or plug in.

13. Gridlok

Gridlok Member

Also a Dyson fan. No hose or cord to drag around and scratch things with. Great suction and a small enough crevice tool to get anywhere.

14. A-Wimoweh

A-Wimoweh Member

I put an outlet for my central vac in the garage. It's not portable, but the hose is.