Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Valentine 1 install with Savvy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone installed a V1 with Savvy...?

I’m new to the Model X (P100D) but I believe it has a OBD2 port to plug in a Savvy unit. May need to get creative with the phone cord into the V1 while fishing/hiding it in the A-pillar. Curious to see if anyone else has had success here? TIA

I'm 99% sure Savvy Hardware/OBDII won't work. I'm 99% sure I tried it in both the OBDII and the CANBus port (one for Scan My Tesla) (more out of curiosity than anything, I have one).

I went with a Mirror Tap, easy peasy.

Photo below is a V1-Gen2 and I run V1Driver (in background, you'd never know it's running, does Savvy, AutoMute and GPS Mute more). You can also control which Bands to turn Savvy on. I leave Savvy off on Ka. With the Hardware one it mutes all bands when under speed.

I have not run the X over summer yet and I might move it if I have to run the Sun Screen. But this is nice location that does not interfere with visors. Not to much in your face and doesn't take away from the "X" feel.

This is an MT-1015 wire tape. Blend mound recommends MTX-1015 (2.5x the price) and I found I didn't need it.

A blend mount BTW would prevent me from installing a SunShield which I did use last fall.

I also like it that thieves nor cops will see it where I have it.

I bent the visor clip flat and used 3M Dual Lock to mount to windshield.

49683780726_4949fb2c21_b_d.jpg

49684075292_2e6308b188_b_d.jpg

49691191538_42c2dfa0fa_b_d.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: mattack4000
Nicely done , looks much easier than the model 3 which I ran back all the way to the VCLEFT open port.

Is the mirror 12V switch or 12V constant? I didn’t try it yet bc I didn’t want to run wires all over the place but if the dimming mirrors work as a 12V switch, that is a great spot for clean install

Any issues with the V1 Gen2 and the windshield blocking radar signals? Thought I had read that in the forums about the S and X windshield blocking radar and fast pass?

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics and info, mswlogo. Looks quite solid with your approach.

Blend mount is a nice addition, esp for the location where it goes, but its is pricey too. I don’t use a sun shield, so i may sooner or later be stuck into getting one.

I’m still running a Gen 1 V1; have one in all of our cars.

„I also like it that thieves nor cops will see it where I have it“

Are you talking about that „black boxy thing with the blue and red lights“ above the mirror? How can one miss it when looking through a side window?

It's pretty high up. If you (or Leo) is standing next to the car, you'd have to stoop and look upward to see it.

You can set the Display to Stay Off in V1Driver if you wish and just rely on Audio Alerts that gives Bands, Direction, All-Clear etc. (all Customizable). In my Model 3 I mounted it off the Dome Light and ran power off the rear Subwoofer. I could not even see it myself ;). But I didn't need to, the Audio through the Car Stereo is awesome. And it was set to AutoMute so I never had to touch it.

But I have not looked on a bright sunny day on how much it would show through the factory tinted glass. If it stands out to much I'll push it all the way back to the headliner (near the dome light). I wanted to avoid running wires through that channel to the mirror if I could. I also wanted to avoid pulling down the headliner to tap at the opposite end (near the Dome light), There is a plug there that feeds the Mirror. That might even be a better place to tap and hide wires when it goes in for service.

Nicely done , looks much easier than the model 3 which I ran back all the way to the VCLEFT open port.

Is the mirror 12V switch or 12V constant? I didn’t try it yet bc I didn’t want to run wires all over the place but if the dimming mirrors work as a 12V switch, that is a great spot for clean install

Any issues with the V1 Gen2 and the windshield blocking radar signals? Thought I had read that in the forums about the S and X windshield blocking radar and fast pass?

Yes, it is switched.

The blocking Radar Windshields from Tesla have not been a problem for years. I think early Model S's had heated windshields.

• Informative
Reactions: CuriousM3