Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Valet gave my card key to another Tesla driver. It’s gone.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Haven't seen any response from you and do hope you deleted the key card from your car. Safest thing to do.

This is the key card holder with key ring I bought for valet purposes when I got my Model 3 <snip>

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B9KJSCF

For anyone thinking about getting something like this, there are so many of these things that are way overpriced to take advantage of unsuspecting Tesla owners. Just search for "ID card holder" instead of "Tesla key card holder" and you'll pay a fraction of the price.

If you need extra key cards, Tesla's online store has them in stock. 2 for $25. I picked up a set sometime ago just to have on hand in case my husband or I lost ours.

Model 3 Key Card

When did they increase the price? My service center gave me two extra without charge about a month after I got the car (spring 2018) just because I asked. I remember they started charging $5 each that summer and had no idea it's more than doubled since then.

@SDKoala I assume you don't think 6.99 is overpriced. Your point about adding Tesla to an amazon or ebay search field is well taken however. BTW the key ring card holder I bought and mentioned above in the thread is a very sturdy plastic. Some of the cheapy ones (in materials) can easily crack and break or the key ring can snap off, totally defeating the reason you buy it.

Not all Valet is bad/clueless... for example,
In Manhattan a Supercharger is located across the street from The Beacon a Theatre (West 75th & Broadway) inside the “Champion Parking” garage. The Supercharger units are on the lower level. All the guys working there - who park cars - are trained to drive Tesla vehicles AND they will charge your car (if you ask) at the Superchargers - yes, the REAL thing (not sure if they have upgraded to V3 yet). Like with everything else, your judgement matters.

• Love
Reactions: Galve2000
I hate valets as much as anyone and will walk far to avoid one... but sometimes you just can't avoid it. Most likely I've seen private events like weddings or such at event sites, and you have to valet your car. There's no other option or parking nearby... and you can't just "not go there".

Something I haven't tried yet, but think I will next time at an event like this is say "I'll give you $10 to park it myself and pick it up later. It doesn't move".

Reactions: CliffG and drdumont
Here’s a pic of my red leather keycard holder with instructions inside for the valet. It’s meant to be
img_5186.jpg
highly visible so you can see your key when it’s hanging at the valet kiosk, when they’re looking for it.

This almost happened to me the first time I valeted our mode 3. I saw valet just out card on their table instead of on a hook (how could he?). Later, Valet gave me my card back, and I got in my car. I then was paranoid that maybe we got the wrong card so I had me and my wife both turn off our Bluetooth on our phones. Car wouldn’t start. So I went back and got the correct card. After that, we always put our card in a holder with a lanyard so they can hang it properly.

Sometimes I'm with my wife, it's cold/rainy and the place/restaurant only has valet parking. I don't mind street parking and walking a quarter mile, but my wife often has different priorities ;)

I've had pretty nice cars (BMW M3/similar) over the past 8-9 years, that I haven't wanted to valet. I think I've only had to do it once or twice since 2012.
I used to change cars like most people change sox; always exotics like AMG SL's, Porsche Turbos, etc. But I used to remark that though I could afford to buy the car, I couldn't afford to "drive" the car; always worried it might get scuffed or worn in someway. That really took a lot of the enjoyment out of it. With my S, I don't worry as much for some reason and have no qualms about valet parking. And if you tip the kid $20 up front, he will park it where you can see it and give you your key back.

• Informative
Reactions: WarEagleX and tvad
Don’t worry too much. Tesla does not screw you on keys like other car manufacturers.

When I got my model 3 they were like $5 each. I think I got four extra because they were cheap and I am paranoid. Now I think they only sell them in the nice packaging and so they may be $20 each or something. Still stupid cheap...

I hope Tesla does not turn the screws on things like this later. It makes me happy to be a Tesla owner!
My SC said it’s 15 bucks, but maybe that was for $5 labor to program it.
There is no programming needed if you still have a spare card, if you do then you add it on screen and placing it on the console

I had to remove both key cards to reprogram my phone and key cards. I recall that one of the key card (secondary) required the master key card to remove.

> You can avoid valet.
Yeah I drive my ICE when its valet only.

Sounds like it was a nightmare. I stay a lot in a hotel in SF and they only have valet parking in a structure blocks away. Makes me nervous on every visit...

Pier 29 is a great place to park overnight if you're staying near valet hotels there. The better rate is to reserve space online and not on site.

I decided valet was too risky and parked my ICE at Pier 29. :)